1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007 Well-Known Member

Great trousers, too.

2. JSO1

JSO1 Distinguished Member

Thanks, Mike - I'm sorry you had to sell your pair! Hopefully you can get your size made on the next Harrison Ltd run, whenever that might be.

I have a Whiskey LWB coming in hopefully a few months, which will round out the PTB, SWB, and LWB trifecta for me. I'd like an NST shoe or boot for the superfecta, though...

Thanks!

3. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

It's okay, I don't really notice a pair here or there gone. I also have the Wingtip Balmoral from DC. So three pairs of Whiskey Wingtip shoes was a little much. :)

My conversation with Alex and Wilson at Harrison lead me to believe that they are not going to be remaking that style again.

-Mike

4. jlchau

jlchau Senior Member

I received a pair of the 975 LWB in #8 from The Shoe Mart seconds yesterday. They came heavily creased and also the left shoe's reverse welt is extremely misaligned on the inner side (which warrants why it's an irregular obviously). However, the last time I sized for Barrie I wasn't wearing orthotics. My orthotics make the fit pretty tight across my instep (almost uncomfortable). I also have to force my orthotic in to try to get the heel flush. Would an E width correct these issues, or would I have to size up?

5. larryr

larryr Senior Member

Just send them an email saying you want to be on the seconds list and for which size.

6. totalair1

totalair1 Senior Member

Slumming it on my Whiskey Wednesday!

Steve

[​IMG]

7. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

I had a hard time sizing the barrie last with my orthotics. My orthotics were specially made for dress shoes so they are thin, but I still had my heel slip out of the back often. Every pair of shoes was different – some I slipped out and some were fine. I took the heel pad out of a few pairs and that helped a bit.

Shell doesn’t really stretch, but the settling in of the footbed did help after a while. You *may* find this to be the case.

I also tried going up a width but my heel slipped out even more and the extra space in the vamp was too much.

Sizing and fit is tricky with shoes and orthotics. This is why my wardrobe is 80% boots and 20% shoes. If you like the look of the 975, why not try a color 8 shell WT boot?

Your pain in the instep area may or may not be alleviated by boots, but I do think they are more forgiving (except for the J Crew #8 PCT boot, that is, which many people will tell you fits a bit tighter than the standard Barrie offerings).

Give the E width a shot if you’re close to a retailer where you can try them on. If the D’s are indeed uncomfortable, don’t keep them. You’ll rarely reach for them and it will be money ill spent, even if they were seconds.

8. swils8610

swils8610 Senior Member

These today! Fresh form the FedEx guy![​IMG]

9. swils8610

swils8610 Senior Member

You guys are making me drool with the whiskey Alden's!

10. Clay J

Clay J Well-Known Member

Is it normal for Aldens from Brooks brothers to have lots of verdigris and extra dye around the eyelets?

Here is what i'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

How old are these shoes? How long have they been sitting in a warehouse do develop that kind of tarnish? Would you keep these or exchange?

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

PCTs today. They made it through another winter unscathed.

[​IMG]

12. 1wb

1wb Senior Member

That is simply overdye from Alden. It is perfectly normal, and has nothing to do with how long ago the shoes were made.

* EDIT - I can see the eyelet tarnish. From the first number inside the shoe, they appear to have been made in either 2014 or perhaps 2004. Unlikely that they are older than that.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

13. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior Member

@patrick_b, your J Crew PCTs are the best on here. It's always good to see new photos of them.

@Handcuffed You got a great deal on those. I called as soon as I got the email, but alas was too late. I'm glad it went to you instead of one of those ebay flippers. If they fit smaller than the size 12 Leffot NST I sent you then I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

I also got my shipment from TSM. I got a color 8 LWB with antique edge in 11.5D to replace my 975 in 11.5C which I finally admit is too tight in the toes. There is just a very minor stitching oops which is hardly noticeable, so it looks like many of us got some great pickups.

This seconds list had a lot of good stuff on it, especially compared to the last few.

I want to know who got those Cigar chukkas I attempted as well.

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007 Well-Known Member

Here's my little tale of woe (not that you asked).

I have the good fortune of having a 9.5 / 10 B width foot, depending on the last. This makes buying shoes difficult. I was an AE fan for years but noticed their quality had degraded. I tried Ferragamo but alas I'm just not in to their shoes (and the price point is pretty darn high). So I decided to try Alden. Luckily, their SF store is around the corner from my office. I found some lasts that worked well for my long HB, short HT narrow feet and proceeded to buy 10 pair.

I had never owned a pair of shell cordovan shoes, so I decided, "What the heck? One pair of PTBs in #8 couldn't hurt." Big mistake. Landed up ordering a pair of black cordo LWBs.

The difference between calf and cordovan is remarkable. While I love my calf shoes, the fit and feel, not to mention to look of shell, just kicks it up a notch. BAM! (Please forgive the Legassi reference).

I strongly encourage you to try a pair in shell. But don't curse me out afterward when you realize you're hooked.

15. swils8610

swils8610 Senior Member

How and where do I get on lists for whiskey, cigar or ravello Alden's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.