• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mod to Suedehead & The Look Goes On J.F Challenge

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's do this...

1c.png

I thought I would adapt this look. The scarf is University of Edinburgh tartan (pity you can't see much of it!); the jacket, rather than an Army battledress is a USAF-style A2 Jacket by Perrone Aviation Apparel; the strides are a gash pair of jungle greens from the local surplus shop, and the boots are Solovair (simply because they do half sizes!).

More to come...

2c.png

The jacket is a vintage, bashed-about Levi; the t-shirt is from M&S; the strides are Lee Riders - believe me, back in the day kids round our way would mix brands; the wellies are Solovair again.

3c.png

Gingham Ben Sherman; Mackintosh a cheapo from JTG.

4c.png

Sheepie from Selkirk Tanneries.

Epic fail with the next one.
5c.png

Shirt is a M&S button-down in Tattersall check; the sweater is by Blue Harbour; the jeans are Wranglers; I don't do Air-Wear shoes, so I brought out a pair of loafers from Jones The Bootmaker.

6c.png

The suit is a different cut, but I quite like it anyway. It's from Burton and is in Lovat green wool. The shirt is by Haworth, and the shoes are a pair of M&S imitation long-wings that are impossible to get now.

I don't know whether any single one of these is worth putting into the competition. Gilles or John can pick one for me, if they think any of the garments in the original drawings are under-represented, or pick the one you think I look best in...

Last edited:

user12345

Reaction score
Okay, let's fo this...

View attachment 938919

I thought I would adapt this look. The scarf is University of Edinburgh tartan (pity you can't see much of it!); the jacket, rather than an Army battledress is a USAF-style A1 Jacket by Perrone Aviation Apparel; the strides are a gash pair of jungle greens from the local surplus shop, and the boots are Solovair (simply because they do half sizes!).

More to come...

View attachment 938920

The jacket is a vintage, bashed-about Levi; the t-shirt is from M&S; the strides are Lee Riders - believe me, back in the day kids round our way would mix brands; the wellies are Solovair again.

View attachment 938924
Gingham Ben Sherman; Mackintosh a cheapo from JTG.

View attachment 938928
Sheepie from Selkirk Tanneries.

Epic fail with the next one.
View attachment 938929
Shirt is a M&S button-down in Tattersall check; the sweater is by Blue Harbour; the jeans are Wranglers; I don't do Air-Wear shoes, so I brought out a pair of loafers from Jones The Bootmaker.

View attachment 938930
The suit is a different cut, but I quite like it anyway. It's from Burton and is in Lovat green wool. The shirt is by Haworth, and the shoes are a pair of M&S imitation long-wings that are impossible to get now.

I don't know whether any single one of these is worth putting into the competition. Gilles or John can pick one for me, if they think any of the garments in the original drawings are under-represented, or pick the one you think I look best in...

Those are awesome, are the jungle greens british lightweights with the button belt loops? They are cheap but they have served me well.

Having half size feet is a pain *********** too, i go a size 12 on most footwear now.

user12345

Reaction score
Certainly would be difficult to chose from those, they are all very good recreations. While the two piece one is more inspired, it still has the spirit of it.

I'm actually wondering what that two piece is, the trousers don't really look like the ww2 ones.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That leather looks more like an A-2 than an A -1 MoM

The A -1 had a knitted stand up collar and buttons down the front. The A-2 has the shirt style collar and zip front. I have an Avirex one from the eighties bought in the Cockpit in NYC. One of the very few items I own that has absolutely zero provenance with Mod style but it’s such a beautifully made jacket I’d never part with it.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That leather looks more like an A-2 than an A -1 MoM

The A -1 had a knitted stand up collar and buttons down the front. The A-2 has the shirt style collar and zip front. I have an Avirex one from the eighties bought in the Cockpit in NYC. One of the very few items I own that has absolutely zero provenance with Mod style but it’s such a beautifully made jacket I’d never part with it.

You are entirely correct. I mistyped!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'll have to go with the leather jacket picture, as an adaptation of the scruffy, military-surplus look. I never associated the look either with mods or skinheads, but I had the jacket and the greens and a pair of boots, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm a lot more comfortable in/with the other looks as part of my daily, old-geezer lifestyle. But - yes - why not step outside my comfort zone for the purposes of this exercise.

Thanks for all the 'likes' so far.

user12345

Reaction score
Tbh, I don't think the surplus look looks that bad compared to what is sometimes worn these days. Could do worse if you are on a limited budget.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
6 DAYS TO GO…

For info, drawing looks that have not been re-created so far : The Crombie look (sketch 4 + Test drawing),
The Ruperts look (sketch 4), The 3b suit/BD+Tie look (Test drawing)...

Of course re-creations of the other drawings still very welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads