1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Male Burka - Awards Season Depression

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maximilian S, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Maximilian S

Maximilian S Senior member

As someone who loves menswear there is no time that I get more depressed living in this society in this time period more than during the awards season. This forum is probably the worst place to post this topic or actually where it's most necessary to. How many more years, decades or centuries are we men going to dress in the male burka / the uniform of patriarchal power.

[​IMG]

2. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Seriously? You get depressed about this? Is this because you lament the sorry state of black tie these days or because you think men should not wear tuxedos? From the context you provide, I infer the latter.

Why is it "most necessary" here?

Hyperbole much? Is someone forcing you to wear black tie against your will? Again, I draw an inference that you don't care for black tie. Fine, just don't wear it or don't go places where others might be. It's entirely your choice.

You know what depresses me? Prescriptivists.

3. Maximilian S

When every man including the cameramen on the red carpet wears more or less the same outfit with a very limited range of colour/cut/shape/accessories and have been since even before red carpet was invented I don't know why you're so shocked one can get depressed.

Imagine if all women were dictated to follow a century old dress code where everyone has to dress or attempt to dress the same idealized way. It truly is the male burka. No other culture has more disparity between the genders in terms of clothing.

It is most necessary here because it is the largest menswear forum I know and also you get banned from Andy's Forum if you have an ounce of individuality.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I'm not shocked. I think you're being silly. You're also trivializing depression. And I, apparently, have nothing better to do tonight than to give you the attention you seemed to want by writing such a silly post.

There are certainly things to be concerned about. Global warming, sure. Worst January for the Dow on record, okay. The loss of civil liberties in the name of protecting us from terrorism, absolutely. Men wearing tuxedos, however poorly? No, not remotely. Harden the f up.

5. Maximilian S

And you're trivializing what is actually a glaring double standard in our society.

Your concern with menswear as far as one can see seems to end in dusting off the old tux and bowtie for the party. I've been scrolling through hundreds of collections every season for about the past three years. Not the same POV.

Quote:
    A true gent.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016