• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

modman1950

Reaction score
First time on this forum.

So sorry if I am breaking any rules.

Not sure it is the right place to post - but just wanted to show off my new purchase.

A pair of Delicious Junction shoes. Got them from Mazeys Mod Clothing if anyone was interested.

What do you guys think?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Not sure it is the right place to post - but just wanted to show off my new purchase.

View attachment 1225348

A pair of Delicious Junction shoes. Got them from Mazeys Mod Clothing if anyone was interested.

What do you guys think?
Not bad. They look a bit like a Desert Boots - Sanders Playboy's hybrid...

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1225348

What do you guys think?

They look decent. I have a pair of standard Clark’s dessies in black suede. I’d prefer the toes to be a bit narrower. I also got them at the tail end of my prolonged period of ‘any colour as long as it’s black’ when it came to footwear. I wish I’d got them in navy now and when they wear out I’ll get some but they bloody things are damn near indestructible.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1225348

What do you guys think?

I think that they look quite interesting,what do you wear them with ? Jeans or Trousers?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the evenings drawing in, Mrs K and I have been looking through and trying to organise our many photos. Yes, a bit sad…

My reason for mentioning it here is that looking at pictures from say, 2009 / 2010 and again at those from the last two or three years, I was surprised that I detected hardly any difference in my wardrobe over a 10-year period.

Some of the individual pieces have changed (often being replaced with like-for-like items) but in some cases the exact shirt or trousers were in evidence over that entire period. My own look obviously just goes on and on and on…

2010 – Italian-made FP and Boss cotton jeans
14 N Bay_crop.jpg

2019 – FP x Comme des Garcons Shirt and the same Boss trou
FP x CdG.jpg

2010 – Loden G9 and Levi’s 501s, AE loafers
Sat Kingy G Pub_ (2).JPG

Winter 2016 / 17 – Green Combat and (new) Levi’s 501s, Florsheim brogues
New combat 2016 Boxing Day.jpg

And indeed there are many other similar instances that I could bore you with.

The essence of this thread is discussion about the Look going on. I had assumed my own look gradually evolved, but now I’m not so sure. There are minor changes in evidence (the second pair of Levi’s is slightly slimmer than the first, for example) but no obvious sign of transformation. Admittedly, these are all casual outfits, but I'm sure the same state of affairs would be revealed if I carried out a similar exercise relative to my more formal fits.

Do you good gentlemen recognise this continuity of style in yourselves or does your own look evolve more obviously over time?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff Mr K, and I think I’m on a similar path. @DonkeyJacket1 just said on the MtS thread that style vanished in the nineties never to be seen again.

I was going to post this reply there but it’s just as relevant here. It was around 2010 when I moved back into a White collar job which gave me the impetus / excuse to sorta rededicate myself to the Mod style. I’d been drifting away from it over previous years, and looking at some pics I’d realised that the further away I drifted the faster my clothing items looked bad and the more I was cringing at those choices.
So part of the reason why I did get back into the look was for longevity, so that I wouldn’t have to be spending a load of dough on stuff that would look crap in a short time and that I’d regret when looking at pictures. Until my eye developed more fully, my mantra when deciding whether to buy or not to buy was ‘does this look like something I might regret in a year or two?’
For that reason my ‘look’ doesn’t really ‘go on’ much at all, especially now when my wardrobe is full and I’m not really looking to acquire much more (famous last words!).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
With the evenings drawing in, Mrs K and I have been looking through and trying to organise our many photos. Yes, a bit sad…

My reason for mentioning it here is that looking at pictures from say, 2009 / 2010 and again at those from the last two or three years, I was surprised that I detected hardly any difference in my wardrobe over a 10-year period.

Some of the individual pieces have changed (often being replaced with like-for-like items) but in some cases the exact shirt or trousers were in evidence over that entire period. My own look obviously just goes on and on and on…

2010 – Italian-made FP and Boss cotton jeans
View attachment 1226446

2019 – FP x Comme des Garcons Shirt and the same Boss trou
View attachment 1226440

2010 – Loden G9 and Levi’s 501s, AE loafers
View attachment 1226441

Winter 2016 / 17 – Green Combat and (new) Levi’s 501s, Florsheim brogues
View attachment 1226455

And indeed there are many other similar instances that I could bore you with.

The essence of this thread is discussion about the Look going on. I had assumed my own look gradually evolved, but now I’m not so sure. There are minor changes in evidence (the second pair of Levi’s is slightly slimmer than the first, for example) but no obvious sign of transformation. Admittedly, these are all casual outfits, but I'm sure the same state of affairs would be revealed if I carried out a similar exercise relative to my more formal fits.

Do you good gentlemen recognise this continuity of style in yourselves or does your own look evolve more obviously over time?

Yes it is continuity of style for me too...

Late 80s
G..jpg

A few months ago
Polo FC.jpg

The main difference (apart colors, hair included) is that i'm wearing a white 501 on the first picture, and my LVC cord Sta-Prest on the second. But i still wear 501s… (And MA-1s, there is one hanging in the back of the first picture.)
Like you MrK, the clothes fit evolves too with the time. But my taste in clothing stays more or less the same, i remember i said on my first post on MtS (and on SF), in 2013, that i had always kept elements of the style (Look), it stays true...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My style tends to bounce between skinhead/"suedehead", "Ivy League", and Casual(obviously a wide-ranging "look" with the geography professor thing, sportswear look, etc.). Elements of the three mix together, wax and wane as the years and weather go on and change. It was once only 501's, harringtons, and a buttondown or FP with boots... then came the brogues, then came the weird C.P. Company Mille Miglia jackets some 15-20 years ago(nothing new, I know), cords, loafers, back to boots, then to sneakers/traineeeeez, shaggy dog sweaters/jumpers, etc.
The one constant has been straight-leg jeans, usually Levi 501's, but also Sugar Cane, Samurai, and Warehouse. The footwear, tops, and jackets fluctuate with my whims but there's typically a clean, no-nonsense style to it.
I'm not sure why my look fluctuates, but it just sort of does... the look goes on, and on, and on...

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your style seems to be more, "Son, sit down and behave before mommy comes out so we can all get some pizza".

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see some sort of continuity in my clothes but whether its a 'look' is debatable.
I still quite like to experiment with different styles,seeing what fits in with my usual clothes, sometimes its successful sometimes not.
The Ecco Luca shoes that I wear now instead of Trainers have (imo) been a success and the Cotton/Linen summer trousers.
My 'Look' for hot days in the Summer was a bit too Ivy with Madras shirts and Loafers or Boat shoes but by wearing Cotton/Linen trousers with the Loafers or Shorts with the Boat shoes I think that I escape the re-enactor look.
I tend to wear slightly narrower more tapered jeans than everyone else on here but I think that they look ok with Weejuns or in the Winter with Brogue boots,in fact its the Jeans and the pastel coloured SS OCBDs that I get compliments about.
I started wearing zip up sweatshirts with bomber style collars last Autumn,I got 2 from RL in sales,I wear them with the Ecco Luca,Armani J21 jeans,FP polo for a very casual look.
So some Ivy clothes..Weejuns,Chinos,OCBD,Madras shirts,Shetland jumpers.
Some Suedehead..Brogues,PlainDerby,FP polo.
Some Casual..Paraboot Michaels,Armani jeans,Fjallraven and Barbour jackets.
Some random styles..Brogue boots,Ecco Luca shoes,Cotton/Linen trousers,Wool flat front trousers, LS polos,Cotton Crew neck jumpers,Bomber collar sweatshirts.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just posted this on the blog. I really like some of the Ted Baker jackets and suits I see ...

View attachment 1226500
Was it a Three button already or did you have it altered ?

I've got mixed feelings about Ted Baker, i find most of their items too flashy to my liking. And the 'best' ones seem (to my eyes) kind of Cheap style Paul Smith stuff (on the contrary i usually like Paul Smith items)..
Another shop where i drop from time time and where i've bought…nothing.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Converted from two to three.

I went to a Ted Baker shop in NYC and it was all very flashy but not my scene. When I go to the mall here I usually enter through Nordstrom’s (department store) and among other brands there’s always a few racks of very tasty Ted Baker jackets and suits which I didn’t see in the shop so clearly they stock differently from the TB shops.
I have three of their jackets now all very well made (in Canada) lightweight quarter lined high twist wool.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your style seems to be more, "Son, sit down and behave before mommy comes out so we can all get some pizza".

Maybe I should try some drop-crotch Rick Owens trousers and a giant t-shirt. Bozo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads