• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
FC Military Inspired poll is up guys, go vote !

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FC Military Inspired poll is up guys, go vote !
Great Challenge Inspector - and lots of our own little group to vote for!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a good Friday Challenge @Clouseau and most of our group finished middle-ranking in the chasing pack. Not a bad result considering the numbers and the big hitters in the mix.

I was wondering whether participating in these challenges - especially when they may be a little outside of our 'comfort zone' - whether they have any lasting influence on the way we view clothing and what we wear. I must say that this last one has opened my eyes to the wider possibilities of military inspired clothing.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It was a good Friday Challenge @Clouseau and most of our group finished middle-ranking in the chasing pack. Not a bad result considering the numbers and the big hitters in the mix.

I was wondering whether participating in these challenges - especially when they may be a little outside of our 'comfort zone' - whether they have any lasting influence on the way we view clothing and what we wear. I must say that this last one has opened my eyes to the wider possibilities of military inspired clothing.
I think that 'military' clothing is a big part of the mod and hard mod/skinhead looks : Fishtail Parkas, MA-1s, Army Boots, Desert Boots, Jungle greens, etc, were used as well for their functional as for their aesthetic contribution to the style.
It is probably true for the skinhead haircut too : "the most striking element of the look was the cropped haircut, taken from the American GI and deliberately used to shock, subvert, and frighten" (The Soul Stylists).
That's one of the reasons why i chose this topic, but it is also true for other subcultures.
In fact a lot of classic items, like coats and jackets, find their origin in military clothing (that can be old, like cavalry)...

I found the Challenge interesting in the way the posters incorporated and appropriated 'military' style in their own look.
I was of course impressed by the perfection of @Rais look, but also by the coolness of @FrankCowperwood and @Dirt who wore Army items in such a natural way.
Like you Mr K, it opened my eyes to the infinite possibilities of military inspired clothing.
I also discovered that one of my actual favorite item, The Uniqlo U fatigue jacket (that i wore for my entry) was in fact a perfect copy of the Vietnam Type 3 Jungle fatigue jacket.

Jungle fatigues.jpg
Original Vietnam 'Jungle Jacket'

Uniqlo U_Fatigues.jpg

Uniqlo U 'fatigue jacket'

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that 'military' clothing is a big part of the mod and hard mod/skinhead looks : Fishtail Parkas, MA-1s, Army Boots, Desert Boots, Jungle greens, etc, were used as well for their functional as for their aesthetic contribution to the style.
It is probably true for the skinhead haircut too : "the most striking element of the look was the cropped haircut, taken from the American GI and deliberately used to shock, subvert, and frighten" (The Soul Stylists).
That's one of the reasons why i chose this topic, but it is also true for other subcultures.
In fact a lot of classic items, like coats and jackets, find their origin in military clothing (that can be old, like cavalry)...

I found the Challenge interesting in the way the posters incorporated and appropriated 'military' style in their own look.
I was of course impressed by the perfection of @Rais look, but also by the coolness of @FrankCowperwood and @Dirt who wore Army items in such a natural way.
Like you Mr K, it opened my eyes to the infinite possibilities of military inspired clothing.
I also discovered that one of my actual favorite item, The Uniqlo U fatigue jacket (that i wore for my entry) was in fact a perfect copy of the Vietnam Type 3 Jungle fatigue jacket.

View attachment 1203816

View attachment 1203819
I guess most of the items that we embraced within the Look were inspired by military, sportswear or workwear clothing.

As you say, opportunities to embrace military inspired items do seem to be almost endless and I hope that the next FC is also an ‘inspired by’ challenge as has already been suggested.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I guess most of the items that we embraced within the Look were inspired by military, sportswear or workwear clothing.

As you say, opportunities to embrace military inspired items do seem to be almost endless and I hope that the next FC is also an ‘inspired by’ challenge as has already been suggested.
Now of course, like reminded me recently @cerneabbas in a conversation about the 'military inspired' Challenge, we have to keep in mind the 'age appropriate' element, as of course we are not 18 anymore, so we can't get away with everything...
While i find easy to wear a Fatigue/Field jacket for example - as long as it s not in army green -, a MA-1 is more complicated at my age - even if i do wear one from time to time… :-D Army style boots seem just impossible to wear now (apart desert Boots), but this is mainly for comfort reasons.

FrankCowperwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Clouseau thanks for that challenge. I find the details of many surplus items are very interesting and then I'll notice the same details in military inspired items.

Interesting also that you find age can make it harder to wear certain items though.

When I was school aged, I liked to wear camouflage BDUs. I was even recently talking with a friend from growing up and he reminded me of a pair of US desert camo trousers I wore a lot as a kid. For some reason, I really wouldn't see myself wearing those these days in middle age. This despite the fact that I really like the camo shirt I wore for the FC and that I very much like the abstractness of camouflage patterns. I don't know what changed.

This reminds me that I have a pair of duck hunter camo pants that I should get out and wear. See how it goes!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Clouseau thanks for that challenge. I find the details of many surplus items are very interesting and then I'll notice the same details in military inspired items.

Interesting also that you find age can make it harder to wear certain items though.

When I was school aged, I liked to wear camouflage BDUs. I was even recently talking with a friend from growing up and he reminded me of a pair of US desert camo trousers I wore a lot as a kid. For some reason, I really wouldn't see myself wearing those these days in middle age. This despite the fact that I really like the camo shirt I wore for the FC and that I very much like the abstractness of camouflage patterns. I don't know what changed.

This reminds me that I have a pair of duck hunter camo pants that I should get out and wear. See how it goes!
Just that as time goes by, i guess we feel comfy/looking good in certain clothes, and not in some we used to like before...
It was a great Challenge, and we had some real good entries.
Of course @UrbanComposition 's entry was one of the best, but he would look good in a trash bag anyway !
BTW UC, i think an 'Inspired' Challenge is more interesting than a 'Summer' one, but you're the boss on this one...
It would be interesting if it could attract posters from SW&D & CM...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1203816

View attachment 1203819
I had a thought about the Challenge,supposing it wasn't just Styleforum members who could take part,suppose that real historical people or actors or anyone who wore military inspired clothing could have taken part.
Plenty of choices General Montgomery,Orde Wingate,Osama bin Laden,Chairman Mao,Stalin etc etc

Surely though the winner would be Steve Mcqueen in the Great Escape ? no one in the military in WW2 looked that good (imo) the 'chinos' shaped more like jeans than the chinos that were really worn,the Leather flying jacket, did pilots wear 'roughout boots'? definitely military inspired but NOT military uniform.

On the Camo subject,it is one that has interested me for a long time and the reason is why are there so many different types of camo when they are all trying to do the same thing ?
Ok there will be specific camos like Snow or desert but for most places the same camo should do but there are dozens of different ones.
Why not to wear it ? just look at any pictures of Militias,plenty of camo there,its too militaristic (of course) for normal wear.
Plus the 'Walts' (Walter Mitty types) who seem to be in most woodland areas near to cities,either wearing camo or black (or a mixture of both) with a military water bottle on their belt,best avoided and who wants to look like one.

I wear one 'camo' item a North Face rain hat in 4 shades of blue,its obviously not real military.

btw I once worked on a site where the security guard had sewed sergeants stripes on his uniform jumper,we called him Sergeant Security,a real 'Walt'.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest purchases have been more M&S pure wool flat front trousers (new) from Ebay, I really like these trousers,some are Italian wool and some Alfred Brown from Yorkshire.
I buy M&S best of British,Savile Row or Autograph,in store they are £119 and more,I don't pay more than £30 and that includes delivery,ok sometimes I have to pay £9 to have them shortened, where else can you get 100% wool trousers for that price ?

I bought a summer shirt this week,J Crew Mercantile,its an hawaiiaan print but it has a BD collar,its short sleeve and the sleeves are a bit too short for my taste but it is very different (because its a BD) definitely going to get some comments when I am wearing it but don't worry I have plenty of put downs for the 'wits'.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I had a thought about the Challenge,supposing it wasn't just Styleforum members who could take part,suppose that real historical people or actors or anyone who wore military inspired clothing could have taken part.
Plenty of choices General Montgomery,Orde Wingate,Osama bin Laden,Chairman Mao,Stalin etc etc

Surely though the winner would be Steve Mcqueen in the Great Escape ? no one in the military in WW2 looked that good (imo) the 'chinos' shaped more like jeans than the chinos that were really worn,the Leather flying jacket, did pilots wear 'roughout boots'? definitely military inspired but NOT military uniform.

On the Camo subject,it is one that has interested me for a long time and the reason is why are there so many different types of camo when they are all trying to do the same thing ?
Ok there will be specific camos like Snow or desert but for most places the same camo should do but there are dozens of different ones.
Why not to wear it ? just look at any pictures of Militias,plenty of camo there,its too militaristic (of course) for normal wear.
Plus the 'Walts' (Walter Mitty types) who seem to be in most woodland areas near to cities,either wearing camo or black (or a mixture of both) with a military water bottle on their belt,best avoided and who wants to look like one.

I wear one 'camo' item a North Face rain hat in 4 shades of blue,its obviously not real military.

btw I once worked on a site where the security guard had sewed sergeants stripes on his uniform jumper,we called him Sergeant Security,a real 'Walt'.
Funnily i went to have a look at the sales, and in the Fred Perry shop, the 'Arktis' camo polos, Tshirts, and Sweat shirts were 50% off. I was a bit tempted - as they look quite good -, but i remembered our conversation and realized i was indeed too old to wear them...

FrankCowperwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cerneabbas I think you get it exactly right with the Walter Mitty risk of camouflage!

Also, several of what I consider to be the mainline Hawaiian shirt makers (thinking of Reyn Spooner and Avanti) use BD collars pretty much as a rule. Interesting, especially when you combine that with Spooner Cloth, which is a crisp, cool, quick drying cotton/poly blend. Makes for quite a neat presentation that might be at odds with common conceptions of Hawaiian shirts.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest purchases have been more M&S pure wool flat front trousers (new) from Ebay, I really like these trousers,some are Italian wool and some Alfred Brown from Yorkshire.
I buy M&S best of British,Savile Row or Autograph,in store they are £119 and more,I don't pay more than £30 and that includes delivery,ok sometimes I have to pay £9 to have them shortened, where else can you get 100% wool trousers for that price ?

I bought a summer shirt this week,J Crew Mercantile,its an hawaiiaan print but it has a BD collar,its short sleeve and the sleeves are a bit too short for my taste but it is very different (because its a BD) definitely going to get some comments when I am wearing it but don't worry I have plenty of put downs for the 'wits'.
I see M&S are in trouble again @cerneabbas on the clothing and fashion front with their CEO stepping in to take direct control. Your tailoring prices sound very reasonable to me.

I have not bought much this summer. I 'had to' buy one or two items for my holiday - a Polo RL Golf polo in grey camo pattern and PRL black webbing belt.

Since getting back I have bought a tie from a small start-up in the Lake District, 'Primal ties', the previously-mentioned Uniqlo + EG polo and a Drake's cashmere and cotton mix pocket hanky.

On the footwear front two casual pairs - Castaner + Missoni espadrilles and recently, in the Mr Porter sale, a pair of Converse Gore-Tex low tops in a horrible yellow colour...

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.