• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Irony of High-Rise Trousers

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is such a ridiculously dumb back and forth lol, and just arguing for the sake of it.

Food matters for weight gain/loss. Squats are going to burn through more energy than bicep curls.

Carry on...

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
lol no. Calorie deficit. Then it is down to your genetics where you will lose fast easier/faster and where last or the hardest.
if you want to lose fat a little faster, working out larger muscles groups is more efficient since the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Just like working out the tricep will give you more muscle than the bicep.

Last edited:

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you want to lose fat a little faster, working out larger muscles groups is more efficient since the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Just like working out the tricep will give you more muscle than the bicep.
That's a fact. But telling somebody to go and do some squats and deadlifts when he wants to lose belly fat is not really a great advice to begin with.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That has never been a problem and doesn't make any sense. I wear every day high waist trousers with very long button flies or zip flies and that has never happened to me. Button/zip fly that is too short looks absolutely terrible, the button fly should go down to the fork of the trousers, easier to put on and off, easier to use when you need to go to the toilet too and it also looks better.

Trousers made by a friend:
V6VxxS1.jpg

Vintage british flannels:

xxyYZup.jpg

Scott Fraser Collection:
wp9DAhC.jpg

1890 Levi's Vintage Clothing
OpynJXh.jpg

Scott Fraser Collection is my go to for trousers since they were launched in 2017. I still haven't found any RTW maker than matches their rise, quality and fit for pleated classic trousers.

For those who mention that their trousers don't stay up with their bellies maybe that's because they aren't buying them in the right size. Someone with a belly and their trousers under it makes you look unbalanced, for a flattering look the trousers should fall from your navel
Few very nice fits! Love the look of Vintage British Flannels! Have you heard of Berg&Berg or Natalino? They also have high rise trousers and denim.

Uncle.Scrooge

Reaction score
Hi All,

I read the first comment on the thread and immediately felt  less alone. For context, I'm 175cm and 70-72kg. BMI of 23. Within healthy range by most measures. I have a 36" chest, 34" at the waist, and 32" at the hips. So yes, they slide down without support.

For me, high rise dress trousers = suspenders. Casual trousers do not make sense to me in high rise so it's mid rise for those garments.

Done!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My high-rise chinos and odd trousers* tend to fall down around my hips, where most pants (such as mid-rise chinos) naturally ride on me. This phenomenon makes the benefit of a higher rise moot and the crotch ride low.

I have a very slight belly. I’d wager any day that it’s smaller than the average American’s. But that belly seems to be enough to prevent a high-rise waist from sitting where it’s intended to sit.

Because of these factors, it seems that mid-rise trousers wear with an effectively higher rise.

Does anyone else experience this reality?

*I am not interested in discussing classically cut, fishback trousers worn with braces. Those are a different ball of wax.
Braces ftw

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I found this thread after finding it interesting how many brands say “high” or “higher” rise in their descriptions like Rubato, Anglo Italian, Natalino etc, but they make casual chinos that in a size 32 have rise measurements that are 11, 10 and 11 inches.

I find 11 inches like the absolute bare minimum and I usually reserve that for jeans. I really prefer at least 11.5 to 12 for jeans/chinos and like 12.5-12.75 for my suit/sport coat trousers and I’m only 5’8” and weigh like 155lbs and have a small belly around my midsection.

The key for me was getting a slighter roomier waist size than I used to get to allow the pants to sit a little higher. Do they sag down occasionally and I have to pull them up? Yes because like I said I definitely don’t have like a flat stomach, but when I wear pants that have under an 11 inch rise, I just think it looks really bad.

Which is bizarre because I see men whether it’s on a blog/IG or on a websites product page that are clearly taller than me wearing a size 32 and it doesn’t look low really. So I don’t know, but pant rise seems far trickier than just X measurement will look good on you due to people’s height, proportions, if they have a flat stomach, is it comfortable, will pants stay up etc. I’ve done a lot of trial and error and honestly it feels like I’m still figuring it out how trouser measurements come together to fit me in a way I like (and I’m not even a hard fit compared to other people).

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
^ that's why my last 3 pairs of jeans have come from Todd Shelton, so I have complete control over the rise and cut.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
And I’ve noticed some brands make jeans that have a higher rise than their chinos which is weird to me personally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads