• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Irony of High-Rise Trousers

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic of this thread, but if you want to get rid of belly fat faster, I recommend you to do complex body exercises to work larger muscle groups, e.g. squats and deadlifts.
lol no. Calorie deficit. Then it is down to your genetics where you will lose fast easier/faster and where last or the hardest.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Calorie deficit. Then it is down to your genetics where you will lose fast easier/faster and where last or the hardest.

That's for sure. But my point was that complex body exercises work better than isolated upper body exercises regarding body fat burning. Better/faster fat burning means you will hit that belly fat faster as well (depends when your genetics will decide, but faster anyway).

Last edited:

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's for sure. But my point was that complex body exercises work better than isolated upper body exercises regarding body fat burning. Better/faster fat burning means you will hit that belly fat faster as well (depends when your genetics will decide, but faster anyway).
They do not work better regarding fat burning. No exercise burns more fat than other. You might burn more calories with some activities over another. But fat burning can happen only if you are in caloric deficit as body starts using excess fat as fuel when there are no calories left from food.
And many people new to weight training might have even worse effect going ham with compound lifts. Too many people decide to hit the gym without serious training and meal plan and the they go "too hard", get too tired and eat even more calories than they would without hitting the gym, because they think they burned soo much cause they are tired.
The greatest issue of current time for most people is food, eating many more calories than they think. With only adjusting their eating habits or making a meal plan, most people can achieve the "perfect" body they want. You need training if you want above average muscle mass or serious body recomposition.
I have over 12 years of experiences with serious training and nutrition and if I am ever getting asked for advice my answer is always about foot first, training is optional. There is no amount of training in the gym that will cancel out the foot you are eating if you don't have a meal plan. There are only a few sports where with intense training you will burn more calories than you usually eat. Swimming for example is one of them, that is why swimmers many times eat junk foot to get enough calories so they don't lose weight. And that is why you can see many athletes in many sports struggling to maintain the weight/body that would be ideal for their performance. Because they enjoy life too much(read they are not strict enough with their food).

Last edited:

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do not work better regarding fat burning. No exercise burns more fat than other. You might burn more calories with some activities over another. But fat burning can happen only if you are in caloric deficit as body starts using excess fat as fuel when there are no calories left from food.
And many people new to weight training might have even worse effect going ham with compound lifts. Too many people decide to hit the gym without serious training and meal plan and the they go "too hard", get too tired and eat even more calories than they would without hitting the gym, because they think they burned soo much cause they are tired.
The greatest issue of current time for most people is food, eating many more calories than they think. With only adjusting their eating habits or making a meal plan, most people can achieve the "perfect" body they want. You need training if you want above average muscle mass or serious body recomposition.
I have over 12 years of experiences with serious training and nutrition and if I am ever getting asked for advice my answer is always about foot first, training is optional. There is no amount of training in the gym that will cancel out the foot you are eating if you don't have a meal plan. That is only possible with a few very specific sports like swimming and even that only if you are training like a pro.

Indeed, I am never able to resist eating feet - I'm a sucker for an Achilles heel.

Last edited:

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, I am never able to resist eating feet - you could say it's my Achilles heel.
Food is as everything else in life. You can train yourself and master it. You need to work on your relationship with foot - why and what you are eating and then you will improve. But it takes time. Relationship with foot is the same as all other relationships, you need to work on them if you want to be happy with them. You need to learn about it first just as you need to learn about your parter etc. Then you can understand why and how some things works and then you can work with these informations and improve. Then you know when it is worth to do something or when it is worth to say no etc. But at the end it is all about what are your priorities.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
They do not work better regarding fat burning. No exercise burns more fat than other.

Long story short, what burn more calories: biceps curls and chest flies or deadlifts and squats? The point is that many people do abs exercises to have six pack, but squats will get you there (with good diet of course).

Last edited:

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long story short, what burn more calories: biceps curls and chest flyes or deadlifts and squats? Don't need to discuss about all other aspect of diet and training programs.
You are now twisting the point. You gave a recommendation to do more compound lifts to burn more fat with which I did not completely agree with as general advice.

Giving such advice to people that do not have enough knowledge about nutrition and training can do more harm than good if they push themselves too much and then eat even more. That was my point. Also with compound lifts there is greater risk for injuries with newbies etc.

Don't give some random advices about training if you do not know how individual trains and eats unless you are willing to go deep in the detail about it.

That is my main problem with "health" advices. Do not give any advice unless you are willing to educate about everything you said in the advice as you can not know the other person knowledge about that topic and how he might understand it.

People please take health advices the same way as you take financial advices and the world will be better place.

Last edited:

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
You are now twisting the point. You gave a recommendation to do more compound lifts to burn more fat with which I did not completely agree with as general advice.

Giving such advice to people that do not have enough knowledge about nutrition and training can do more harm than good if they push themselves too much and then eat even more. That was my point. Also with compound lifts there is greater risk for injuries with newbies etc.

Don't give some random advices about training if you do not know how individual trains and eats unless you are willing to go deep in the detail about it.

That is my main problem with "health" advices. Do not give any advice unless you are willing to educate about everything you said in the advice as you can not know the other person knowledge about that topic and how he might understand it.

People please take health advices the same as you take financial advices and the world will be better place.

I think you didn't get my point first of all, not that I am twisting it.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you didn't get my point first of all, not that I am twisting it.
Sure I did. You gave a recommendation "to do complex body exercises to work larger muscle groups, e.g. squats and deadlifts" to person you know nothing about and that is my main problem with such advices.

If you want to argue; in such cases way better suggestion is to tell that person that first step is to work on what and how much they eat as this will have greater impact on their fat loss and less chance to get somebody injured in the worst case.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Sure I did. You gave a recommendation "to do complex body exercises to work larger muscle groups, e.g. squats and deadlifts" to person you know nothing about and that is my main problem with such advices.

If you want to argue; in such cases way better suggestion is to tell that person that first step is to work on what and how much they eat as this will have greater impact on their fat loss and less chance to get somebody injured in the worst case.
That person is working out his upper body for 3 months yet. I think is it quite unlikely he has some serious health problems and therefore I stand by my point that compound exercises will be more beneficial to him.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That person is working out his upper body for 3 months yet. I think is it quite unlikely he has some serious health problems and therefore I stand by my point that compound exercises will be more beneficial to him.
You do not get my point, it is ok.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Back to long-rise chinos: Ben Silver has a good collection, somewhat duplicated by O'Connor's. Not ridiculously high, and I find that if one has enough of a muffin top then cinching the waist at the tailor and getting a good belt will cover a lot of miscalculations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads