• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haroldwong

Reaction score
Thank You sir!, I really appreciate your balanced and serious take on this. I will be sure to take more photos to share with all of you guys during my next visit to the shop (should be this week!).
I like my slim suits but I do want to be taken seriously haha. Lets see the final results first

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank You sir!, I really appreciate your balanced and serious take on this. I will be sure to take more photos to share with all of you guys during my next visit to the shop (should be this week!).
I like my slim suits but I do want to be taken seriously haha. Lets see the final results first

Not at all, your post was very interesting along with your experience and deserves serious responses. All we seem to have presently is this repetitive nonsense about workshops and tailors shops which has no purpose whatever.

I very much look forward the next couple of fittings, this is how both the OP and others can learn. It can be a daunting prospect to bespeak a suit in Hong Kong if you are not familiar with the various tailors and just avoid the touts at Star Ferry, Kowloonside.

You know where you want to wear it and what you might be expect to wear, other than that it is, as I said, your money and suit and your preferences must always come before those of others. I might not want that style and you might not want mine but we're both correct and can still discuss options and experiences. That is how people learn and can be the strength of a web board

Hifilover

Reaction score

I think so? not sure, didn't ask where they're from. No it wasn't glued, was definitely floating. HK $ 7792 2 pc

Fake full canvas are still floating . If you take photos of jacket inside during fitting (without linning). Guys in here can tell .

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fake full canvas are still floating . If you take photos of jacket inside during fitting (without linning). Guys in here can tell .

Are you suggest any old bit of rag to hand being used instead of canvas?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
For the record here is the fabric distributor Peking Road was referring to:

http://longwear.com.hk/index.html

There are many fabric shops in HK, offering good fabrics to walk-in customers. We can pick the right fabric from various sources besides online shopping and tailor shops. We have wide selection of choice for CMT. This is another example:

Dormeuil 150s, HK$780/yard

Cerruti 150s, HK$720/yard

This is another fabric shop, and they are selling Holland & Sherry per meter instead of per yard:

This Holland & Sherry 400g is for winter:

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Nothing says consumers should pick Baotou or tailor shops, and nothing against BaoTou or tailor shops, this is the choice of consumers. This is free market, free economy, and hi tech world. Tailor shop owners should be realistic for the market! Both BaoTou and tailor shops can provide advice on fabrics and cuttings. How can tailor shops outstand from others and BaoTou? This is 21st century, tailor shops should have their web sites and facebook pages to show their service to customers. Tailor shops in the new century should provide online 3d fitting service to customers, this is extra service that adds value. Tailor shops providing poor service to customers should be gone, like ATV.

Consumers are spending more on hi-fi than suits. A lot of people are spending millions on hi-fi, but not everyone spends that much on suits. A nice power supply system for home user could cost more than double of a suit from WW Chan. This is China market, there is no good power supply in all households in all mainland China cities, therefore, power supply system is needed for all hi-fi fans. My blog also provides some info about hi-fi, not just BaoTou. I am not related to tailor industry or hi-fi industry, I am too far away from this 2 industries. I am a consumer only. I suggest tailor shop owners to start thinking a new business, hi-fi industry for China market. A cheap hi-fi system in US could sound better than an expensive hi-fi system in China, the reason is power supply, and this tells what the hi-fi market is heading.

When one says my posts cannot be understood, that's nonsense as I got PMs saying my posts are informative and direct to the point. We don't have to protect the interest of tailor shops and all their customers. Sharing info does not have to make everyone happy. We, consumers share info for consumers, for the benefit of consumers of our kind. Some tailor shops or their customers don't like that, but my posts are not to serve them. In the opposite way, why not they serve me ?

Over 200 pages for tailor shops, why not a few pages for alternative for consumers? The topic is "The Hong Kong Tailors Thread", not "The Hong Kong Tailor Shops Thread". We purchase fabrics from fabric shops for CMT, that means business for tailors. Why not? Many tailor shops and tailors do accept CMT! There is no reason to prohibit consumers to go for CMT.

My experiences with BaoTou is just the same as you guys with bespoke tailor shops. The difference is I got no bespoke label in my suit. One interesting thing is I see bespoke label in the suits they made for the bespoke tailor shops, and I see same workmanship for my suits. To tell about BaoTou does not harm tailor shop business, but to tell the name of tailor shops they work for, that harms tailor shop business. I don't disclose the bespoke tailor shop names of those BaoTou.

The fact is there are more than 4, I will not put all of them on the blog list. see 3676#
Among those bespoke tailor shops (fully canvassed suit only) mentioned in page 245 from 3668# to 3674#, I am using 1 ex BaoTou from a bespoke tailor shop and 1 BaoTou from another bespoke tailor shop! There is another 1 BaoTou from the same bespoke and 1 more from another bespoke which I have not tried yet. That is 4 BaoTou from 3 bespoke mentioned last page! There could be more than that which I have not found out yet. There is no life time employment like the 20th century, tailors are not working for their ex- employers for life for many different reasons.

Last edited:

kwoknero

Reaction score
Huh??? I thought we are discussing tailor shop and their works? Again, consumers use Baotou or Tailor shops are their personal choice. But PekingRoadHK you can't deny if a consumer don't know anything about suit, going to tailor shop have some benefits because tailor shops staffs can advise consumers' needs and want.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're literally repeating the same thing every post. If you post actual reviews of individual Baotou or show some examples or anecdotes of your commissions with one I doubt people would mind.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no problem with Baotou being discussed. I'm sure many are interested, myself included, in working with the actual tailor/cutter and possibly saving money. Sure we all know there are downsides, but there are advantages too - everyone has a different set of priorities/ requirements and working with a tailor versus a baotou is a personal decision. I value my Italian tailors work, but would also be interested to know if I can get reasonable facsimiles made locally. To me, working with the 'artisan' or the 'worker' whichever way you want to view it, is always attractive. I'd be happy to pay 'tailor' prices for a (technically) good 'baotou'.

But as I've said, it's damn tedious to read really generic information. We had this 'Mystery Bespoke tailor' phase a few years ago, that was interesting because at least they posted photos and critiques of the suits that were made. That's what we are looking for. You can protect your tailor/ Baotou's identity if you wish, but at least make it more interesting than this repetition of the same point(s) over and over again.

Last edited:

Hifilover

Reaction score
PekingRoadHK suggest tailor shops owner to shut down their shops and start to sell hi-fi sound systems ??

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, that's not my concern. To survive, in any field, you have to offer value for money and be able distinguish yourself from the competition.

This isn't just about absolute costs, but also value added services such as knowledgeable opinions/ advice, offering a proper number of fittings, being amenable to alterations, quality control etc etc. Many of us don't mind paying for that added level of service, as long as the workmanship is the same.

kwoknero

Reaction score
Finding a tailor/Baotou that you like and can work with is difficult already, let alone 3-4 different Baotou. I work with a retire but still working tailor in my area, whenever I stop by his shop and give him a piece of cloth. He already know my preferences and details, but he still measure me just in case. Do I want him to work on something fancy details for me? Sure, but if he can't do it or won't do it, he will let me know. At least I appreciate his honesty whenever he is working on my jackets/pants. Do I want to branch out to look for another tailor to try? Not sure, maybe because I am lazy and feel comfortable what he can do for me.

As for chobochobo is correct though, a standard service should be held by tailor/baotou. Sometime, some suits still look terrible on a consumer after it is done. The tailor/baotou should work with consumer to make sure the suits look more presentable or fix any problem the suit has even it is finish.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads