• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

baromatic

Reaction score

There have been whispers for ages of the lady (or is she just a myth?) who makes the Milanese buttonholes here in HK.  

I heard that you have to find your way out of Tsim Sha Tsui MTR by the mysterious exit that is marked with just a pentagram instead of a letter, turn around three times while saying the words "Special Gimp, Special Gimp" over and over then click the heels of your shoes together and *poof* she appears and takes three weeks and $350 HKD to sew your buttonhole.

But I might be wrong.

I just rofl~~

BigbigJohnny

Reaction score
Would you mind tell us more about those three tailors apart from button hole?
I did try GY and happy with it though a bit old fashioned cut.

Last edited:

exodos

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt the button hole topic. Has anyone got some recent experience with Baromon and a quote for a two-piece with their house fabric? Thanks.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are people who can make really nice buttonholes in HK. I asked Lee Baron to put an extra set of buttonholes the sleeves of a Kiton Jacket, and they (or whoever they sent it to) did a great job.

Reaction score
So I went to Lee Baron yesterday and got measured and fitted. They showed me two fabrics and I chose VBC 2209 92, a 310 g. black wool & mohair. They asked me to come back at 4 pm for fitting. They seem to be working hard to get the tuxedo finished before I leave and still allow me to get a couple fittings in; very thankful for that. They asked me many questions during the fitting, but I'm afraid I was pretty out of it due to jet lag. I usually asked what they suggested and deferred to them, trusting that they would make me look my best. I asked to have natural shoulders with no padding, but they suggested minimal padding. I'll see how it looks on my fitting on Saturday and will take pictures then, but I'm feeling very confident in their abilities.

Will update in a couple days.

Last edited:

Penfold

Reaction score
Minimal padding is probably better than no padding, especially for the first time they've ever tried to fit your body. Should allow for a cleaner shoulder line and to cover up any bumps.

Fabric sounds like a good choice - 10oz mohair/wool ought to be the sweetspot.

Did you go with a three-piece in the end?

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Penfold

Reaction score
Reaction score
Pen fold,

Yes, got the vest, and per your suggestion, got the cummerbund also. A couple of options never hurt anyone. :)

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the DJ is the one jacket that you'd really want a bit more padding/ structure in.

Penfold

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt the button hole topic. Has anyone got some recent experience with Baromon and a quote for a two-piece with their house fabric? Thanks.

The most recent was a poster called @Bloomsbury2k visiting from Chicago over Chinese New Year who was measured and fitted by Gordon Yao, Baroman and WW Chan. IIRC he had to pay a bit of a surcharge owing to the holiday.

Check out some of his posts via http://www.styleforum.net/forums/posts/by_user/id/235193

I'm tagging him in this - apologies if this seems rude - because I think several of us would like to know how it came out. If you're there B2k, indulge some random guys off the internet with an update on your wardrobe please
smile.gif

Bloomsbury2k

Reaction score
The most recent was a poster called @Bloomsbury2k visiting from Chicago over Chinese New Year who was measured and fitted by Gordon Yao, Baroman and WW Chan. IIRC he had to pay a bit of a surcharge owing to the holiday.

Check out some of his posts via http://www.styleforum.net/forums/posts/by_user/id/235193

I'm tagging him in this - apologies if this seems rude - because I think several of us would like to know how it came out. If you're there B2k, indulge some random guys off the internet with an update on your wardrobe please
smile.gif

Penfold, I have yet to post my photos of the tragic outcomes of Gordon Yao and WW Chan. Baromon's was the only suit that came out fine. His white shirts he made me were a little tight around the neck, but otherwise perfect fitting. Baromon's was also the least expensive of the 3. I had only 1 fitting with all of them. Baromon's did the measurements and fitting, as the others, but he also took pictures. His suit was well made when I received it, although I had to pay a $50 customs charge, and I'm not sure how that happened, as I did not with Yao or Chan. However, Gordon Yao sent me a suit that was very tight, as if the chest was 2 to 3 inches too small. I could barely put the damned jacket on. I sent it back with photos, as well as with photos of the much better fitting Baromon's suit jacket for his reference. That cost me $67 to send back to Hong Kong. Gordon Yao sent back the jacket 3 weeks later, and it was as if they did NOTHING to it. Now I have to wait until Gordon Yao comes to Chicago in June to have him correct this. I don't understand how, with 10 photos, sample photos of a correct fitting, he would not make any change, or unnoticeable changes to the jacket. It was not smart to have me go through the trouble.

Chan's (The most costly of the 3 by far) was the worst! They sent me a jacket that looked as though I was wearing a ballerina skirt, when I put it on. I don't know what those young men measuring me all over the place were doing, but it certainly did not produce a well fitting suit jacket. Whereas Chan's suit was not too tight, it was ill-shaped, and much too short, even when I told them during the fitting to make it longer. It was like wearing high-water pants, but for a suit jacket! I could not wear it in public - (this king knows he is naked). I shall never do bespoke again, except for Baromon's. He's the best and the least expensive. When I get the gumption, I'll send pictures to show you guys. It was a very expensive mistake. At least Chan had the wisdom to not have me send the suit jacket back to them in Hong Kong. I'll be meeting them in Chicago in June as well. Also, none of them mentioned reimbursing me financially for the costs and inconvenience. I'm not sure whether this is a Chinese business thing or what. But I find it highly unprofessional. In short, Yes for Baromon, and a resounding NO for WW Chan and Gordon Yao.

Cheers, Bloomsbury2k

Penfold

Reaction score
Thank you @Bloomsbury2k
 for humouring my request and for writing that very honest and thorough reply.  I am really sorry that things have turned out this way for you, the more so after you came on this forum to seek advice and after you've shelled out a lot of money for very little.

I hope that since both Chan and Yao will tour the USA you'll get some kind of resolution and some clothes that fit.   They both claim to be top-echelon firms in HK, charging prices to match, and I hope they come through for you in the end.  Otherwise I think your experience will stand as quite a warning to others.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Bloomsbury2k: thanks for sharing. That is very disappointing and frankly, somewhat surprising. Most people here have good experiences with Chan (myself included) and I would be surprised if they can't make you happy when you see them again in person. Baromon gets little review here, but it's pretty much always positive, so glad to hear your experience mirrors that. Any chance you can post pics (if not all three, at least of the Baromon suit you are happy with)? SF will be much obliged.

IsABellyDad

Reaction score
Penfold, I have yet to post my photos of the tragic outcomes of Gordon Yao and WW Chan. Baromon's was the only suit that came out fine. His white shirts he made me were a little tight around the neck, but otherwise perfect fitting. Baromon's was also the least expensive of the 3. I had only 1 fitting with all of them. Baromon's did the measurements and fitting, as the others, but he also took pictures. His suit was well made when I received it, although I had to pay a $50 customs charge, and I'm not sure how that happened, as I did not with Yao or Chan. However, Gordon Yao sent me a suit that was very tight, as if the chest was 2 to 3 inches too small. I could barely put the damned jacket on. I sent it back with photos, as well as with photos of the much better fitting Baromon's suit jacket for his reference. That cost me $67 to send back to Hong Kong. Gordon Yao sent back the jacket 3 weeks later, and it was as if they did NOTHING to it. Now I have to wait until Gordon Yao comes to Chicago in June to have him correct this. I don't understand how, with 10 photos, sample photos of a correct fitting, he would not make any change, or unnoticeable changes to the jacket. It was not smart to have me go through the trouble.

Chan's (The most costly of the 3 by far) was the worst! They sent me a jacket that looked as though I was wearing a ballerina skirt, when I put it on. I don't know what those young men measuring me all over the place were doing, but it certainly did not produce a well fitting suit jacket. Whereas Chan's suit was not too tight, it was ill-shaped, and much too short, even when I told them during the fitting to make it longer. It was like wearing high-water pants, but for a suit jacket! I could not wear it in public - (this king knows he is naked). I shall never do bespoke again, except for Baromon's. He's the best and the least expensive. When I get the gumption, I'll send pictures to show you guys. It was a very expensive mistake. At least Chan had the wisdom to not have me send the suit jacket back to them in Hong Kong. I'll be meeting them in Chicago in June as well. Also, none of them mentioned reimbursing me financially for the costs and inconvenience. I'm not sure whether this is a Chinese business thing or what. But I find it highly unprofessional. In short, Yes for Baromon, and a resounding NO for WW Chan and Gordon Yao.

Cheers, Bloomsbury2k

Thanks for the sharing. Look forward to your photos to see how Kenny @ Baroman nailed that (and how GY and Chan messed that). I forgot... did you do at least 1 fitting in each of them?

I'm still trying to find time to go to Baroman to make a suit (made 2 pairs of pants there previously) - probably in June.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads