• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No images of huge glass daggars dancing in your head?

One other dumb question for anyone inclined to opine:  regular or epoxy grout?  white or gray?

I'm leaning towards epoxy and white.  Especially white for the subway tile walls.  But I like 1" hexagon floors with gray grout.  Or maybe it's just dirty old cement grout I've taken a shine to.

OK, another dumb question:  recessed toilet paper roll, like the old bathroom had, or regular one screwed into the wall?

The window in one of our bedrooms is about that high off the floor. We got new windows, and it's standard glass, so I guess no is the answer. :)

For the bog roll, it seems like a fair few brands of paper are too big for those recessed holders.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything particular about those windows that is really worth restoration, to be honest. I would go with replacement.
Knots will bleed through wood paneling in a bathroom, regardless of the quantity and quality of the primer applied. But if you really want wood, make sure that all sides and edges are primed, even the back side against the wall, to try and keep the moisture at bay as long as possible....knots will still bleed through eventually ,though.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our old recessed TP holders only work with small rolls. We bought a big pack at Sam's Club before we knew this so we had to use a partial roll before it would fit.

emptym

Reaction score
Good point about large rolls not fitting. Fwiw, we pretty much just use Costco tp.

Thanks for the point about knots bleeding, SeaJen. If I understood correctly, you mean that moisture would penetrate the wood paneling through knots? If so, that'd be another pro for tile. I looked around Google images and now think tile wainscoting looks pretty good, so we'll probably go with that.

Re. windows, I found a company that seems like it laminates new glass to old glass to make the new more sound proof, safe, and perhaps insulating:

http://www.ravenrestorationsf.com/#!wc7-noise-reduction-glass/c1oig

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Careful with the advice from SG. He will lead you down the path to wood fetishism.

:D

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Programmable thermostats. Occupancy sensor light switch for the kitchen, motion detectors for the outside lights. Timers on fans in the bathrooms, dimmer switches and remote fan speed controls. Do those count?

As far as, like, internet connected coffee makers? None for me so far.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a floor furnace

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you like gadgets and enjoy them for their own sake, by all means, automate your home. Except for lights, unless you have some specific problem you're trying to solve, it's pretty useless IMO. I have connected t'stats, lights, cameras, door lock, etc. I didn't even pay for them, and I still think it's probably not worth the money. :)

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you like gadgets and enjoy them for their own sake, by all means, automate your home. Except for lights, unless you have some specific problem you're trying to solve, it's pretty useless IMO. I have connected t'stats, lights, cameras, door lock, etc. I didn't even pay for them, and I still think it's probably not worth the money. :)

Too much work. Condos are better......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads