1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I know nothing of the craft but if you tell me they spray logs with water while cutting, I would have assumed that it keeps the blade from heating up too much and/or burning the wood, or maybe keeps the sawdust spray down?

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'm citing an extreme and an ideal, logs are sustained in various ways until milling in a reasonable amount of time. Anchor seal helps and wetting them down. Some woods are also a lot more resistant to rot than others, I understand that a wood like Yellow cedar can stand dead for hundreds of years.

JMO. I would check the log for intense end checking before you devote the time to sawing it up.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Many mills use water to lubricate the blade when cutting, but I was talking about storage. Logs (especially pine) waiting to be cut are sprayed continuously with water to keep them wet. Back in the day they kept them in ponds.

End checking is a real thing, for sure, especially on short logs. But on long ones? It rarely seems to go more than a foot or so in, at least around here. But logs here don't dry out, they just turn to mush. So I don't know how representative my experience is.

1 person likes this.
  4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

Bought new area rug
    Laid it down
    Not two hours later, dog walks into room
    Dog immediately throws up on rug
    This is why we can't have nice things

3 people like this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Monday morning cat ran 45 feet across tile to puke on rug. I could tell by the look on his fact it was a close thing and he almost missed the rug.

4 people like this.
  7. dcg

dcg Senior member

What the hell is so bad about puking on tile or hardwood? My dog refuses to puke on those surfaces. She will go for rug/carpet 100% of the time.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

They're just fucking with us.

1 person likes this.
  9. dcg

dcg Senior member

It's the only answer that makes sense

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I think they like having something to grip on to when they're doing their horrible businesses.

1 person likes this.
  11. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

You're all suckers. My dog is well trained to run to the door when he has to puke. He's only thrown up indoors a handful of times and it has always been by the door because a human couldn't let him out fast enough.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you allow your pets to soil your possessions, you're a cuck.

9 people like this.
  13. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Damn, the past several posts have been SF at its best.

3 people like this.
  14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Our dog sometimes throws up and when I hear the inevitable sound of her getting ready to I just think "F*CK!". It is a sense of dread and urgency at the same time. Where is she? Can I get her outside fast enough?

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

See? Kicking animals into submissive behavior does work after all.

Dogs are a colossal pain in the ass. I can't understand why people have them, especially in dense cities. It's a giant time suck, and the root of endlessly boring dinner party conversation. Not to mention you have to plan your life around their piss and shit limits.

And yes, they cuck up your rugs.

1 person likes this.
  16. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

I'll admit I've so far left the dog at the kennel post vacay. A brisk winter night walk is rejuvenating..but not daily. Ownership rocks in summer. You meet all of your neighbors too.

...+ you don't need a home alarm. And the dog loves you blindly. Cat = that moody ex gf you once had.

....Did I mention a dog will actually attack a burglar? :p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  17. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

You live next to a golf-course, do you let your cat out? He might enjoy barfing on that golf course and save your rugs.

P.S. Having pets in cages in your city apartments is an animal cruelty. If you own a dog you must live on the farm or at least have a few acres of land for them to run on. Same goes for cats , if you keep them jailed indoors all their lives, you are a selfish cuck.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  18. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Cats don't need to go outside, bruh. They only need to hang by the window weekday mornings and laugh at dreary commuters. I am also to understand they are partial to lasagna.

4 people like this.
  19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Our dog did the same at our cabin, only she ran from the hardwood to puke on the rug at the front door, then reversed course, ran across tile and wood to puke on the rug at the back door for good measure..

1 person likes this.
  20. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Sounds like your dog was trying to exit your house, may be a pet-door is in order?