1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Uh, no, I won't be installing pet doors at a cabin. My family are a forgetful crowd..

2. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I have a dog and a cat. Also adopting a senior girl that has had a hard life. They are a good amount of work. If you deem animals to be a burden, definitely do not get one. The attention and $$$ to support one is daunting. Like Children.

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

With regard to dogs, it depends entirely what breed you have.

With regard to cats, you're just wrong. It's a domesticated cat - if you let it outside it is likely to get eaten or badly injured.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's always easy to tell who likes animals and who doesn't.

3 people like this.
  5. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I am not talking about exotic inbreeds. Any normal dog needs space to run any cat needs garden to hunt.

I let my cat out and all he does is hunts that is what they live for; hunting pray and eating red meet. Domesticated cat does not mean he is born to live in your room all his life. Humans think cats are happy being prisoners of the apartment or a kennel. Amazing ignorance.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Our cats have a huge house to roam and seem to be happy critters. Of course, it's cats, so this could be a plot to have us lower our guards...

Our kitties are indoor cats as coyotes patrol the neighborhood.

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Hmm, I guess I've just only had ignorant vets then . . .

8. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I forgot you have those coyotes in US. Well you might want to buy cat-leash and take them out one day on the course. It is a lot of fun for you and them. Of course that would open a Pandora box.

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

My all time favorite quote about pets:

My old dog Quon was killed and baked for his grease, of which he yielded 11lb.

[from the late 17th century diary of an Englishman named John Richards].

10. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Back to painting for a second. Our painter does some insane prep work.

French doors with each windowpane sporting its own paper cutout and tape:
    [​IMG]

I thought he'd have just painted it by hand and scraped off any extra on the glass. That's what I'd have done. But he likes to spray everything, so there's no brush marks. He said a lot of painters would spray some kind of clear coat on the windows that they'd peel off after painting. He doesn't like doing that because the clear coat gets on the wood and can damage it or paint adhesion. You might have noticed that the left door handle was taped. He usually would have removed the hardware, but since rain is forecast, he decided to tape it.

Here he is taping the edge of the door and the door jamb. I think to protect the seals, but I didn't ask.
    [​IMG]
    It's bascially two guys working four days just to paint the kitchen.

We move in on Sunday. Two weeks or rain have delayed things, so the kitchen and half bath/laundry (seen through the doorway above) won't be done. It'll be great to be in there though even so. I've been driving our daughter to school for an hour each day (f-ing hate driving a car. 15 yrs of bicycle or motorcycle community have spoiled me.), but now it'll be a five minute walk. My wife will take the subway downtown, and I can bike 10 mins through GG park.

4 people like this.
  11. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

That looks great. I used to live in the inner sunset on 9th and Irving 14 years ago. I loved it then and still love it now when I'm back around that area. Soma is techdouche city. Glad I got out of there.

12. emptym

Right on 9th and Irving? We're about a block away.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  13. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Yep. Across from the Mortuary and Ebisu Sushi.

Yellow Submarine used to be my jam.

1 person likes this.
  14. emptym

Very nice. I haven't tried that place yet. Mostly stuck with Arizmendi Bakery and Donut World the past 6 months while doing some work at the house. Tried Art's Fine Food for Bugolgi once. Looking forward to trying out other places.

15. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Arizmendi is great. Especially their lunch Pizza.

Yellow Submarine
    San Tung
    Gordos
    Koo Sushi

are all around there.

If you drive west on 9th. You'll hit the outer sunset. Wonderful Desert & Cafe has the best boba in the city. Passion Fruit Green Tea is my jam.

16. emptym

Mmm. Thanks. I'm not a big foodie, but I do love burritos and boba. Hmm, boba burrito... probably not.

Yeah, I love their pizza and their mint chocolate cookies. I've been five or six times and try something new each time. The first time I loaded up because there was a line out the door (sorry Lefty it was the fact that they were founded by a Basque priest that got me into it) and I thought that was normal there and I should make my wait worth the while. But the other times I've been there's only been one or two people ahead of me. But pizza and mint chocolate cookies are the only things I've gotten twice, or five times. Probably simply because I love pizza, mint, and chocolate. Hmm mint chocolate pizza...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  17. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Ha!!

Go to yellow submarine up the street. Grab a pepper steak with the kid and some soda. Walk down to GG park on the irving side. There is a secret Alice in Wonderland garden that barely anyone knows about. Eat the sub and let the kid explore the garden.

Lastly, if you are up for it. Drive to Aristacult Bakery at around 7:30 and get in line. They open at 8am. The Croissants there are Japan/France legit.

1 person likes this.
  18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Oldest daughter lives at 25th and Judah ,small world

2 people like this.
  19. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I used to live around 45th and Lincoln. :freeze: I still try to eat at PPQ on 19-20th and Irving if I am in the area.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  20. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Indeed