• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boomers say you can take my house from my cold dead hands; spending $100k+ to not have to move out.

Mildly interested in the concept of a luxury bidet

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second - our society is only getting older. It might be a smart investment to make your house more attractive to geriatrics.
Geriatric accommodating design is just good design. We have a special needs kid, so when we were building our house, we made sure that it could accommodate him and any of his special needs friends. It's a zero entry house with wider interior halls and doors, walk in shower, etc. No one even notices those things, but all of it makes living here easier and more pleasant.

We're not planning to age in place, though. We're selling and getting something a lot smaller in some place a lot cooler, on all senses of the word.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geriatric accommodating design is just good design. We have a special needs kid, so when we were building our house, we made sure that it could accommodate him and any of his special needs friends. It's a zero entry house with wider interior halls and doors, walk in shower, etc. No one even notices those things, but all of it makes living here easier and more pleasant.

+1000 . integrated accessibility is such an important lodestone for humanistic design

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We're not planning to age in place, though. We're selling and getting something a lot smaller in some place a lot cooler, on all senses of the word.

My in-laws have a gigantic house and use maybe like half the space in it, but they're never going to leave. They've already talked about putting an elevator in if mobility restrictions get to them.

It'll take something huge to get my parents to leave their place, but my dad has already said that whoever owns it next is already in for an experience. They're either going to really love gardens or haul out tens of tons of landscaping boulders lol.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Something for the Boomers to remember: if the spouse dies you have a calendar year to sell, still get the deceased spouse's cap gains exemption, plus 50% of the value of the house gets the step up in basis.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boomers say you can take my house from my cold dead hands; spending $100k+ to not have to move out.

This sounds good and all, but only works if the mind doesn’t go. My mother build a house for exactly this purpose. I have had to move her out just a week ago because she broke her hip for the second time, due to her forgetting stuff because of dementia.

My point is that the place might be perfect for getting old in, but if you lose your ability to drive you’ll get lonely very quickly, and if you lose your mind no place is safe.

I’d much rather see old folks move into communities, it probably adds to their QOL as well.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can almost break a toe just by looking at it.

1541247_81_132216_ZNuabZiJ3.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can almost break a toe just by looking at it.

View attachment 2185391
Hey, at least the corners are rounded - can't count the number of times I've stubbed my toe on a sharp ass corner

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gmix0509