• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joytropics

Reaction score
Damn if I knew how bad people were getting their feelings hurt, I would have let off the gas.

images-3.jpeg

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF:lol::lol::lol:o_Oo_Oo_O

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sucks. Plus, I'm sure there are sunk costs like legal fees, inspection costs, time spent on researching the property, etc.

Yup. Don't really mind viewing properties - particularly promising ones, but I did spend $$ on car rentals to get around. The inspection fee was an expense but well worth it as it's saved me $$$$ and heart burn. I think I'm going to have to move fast on the next nice place I see.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with home automation? I dipped my foot in with a pair of Lutron Caseta switches (technically a dimmer and a switch) to replace an old programmable timer that wasn’t working and a simple rocker switch. Really enjoy the advantages now that I got them wired (did it all myself too, with a little phone help from the very nice Lutron tech support) and considering what else I want to swap from a regular switch to one I can automate or schedule, and also considering what else I could automate in the house.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with home automation? I dipped my foot in with a pair of Lutron Caseta switches (technically a dimmer and a switch) to replace an old programmable timer that wasn’t working and a simple rocker switch. Really enjoy the advantages now that I got them wired (did it all myself too, with a little phone help from the very nice Lutron tech support) and considering what else I want to swap from a regular switch to one I can automate or schedule, and also considering what else I could automate in the house.

not really the wired version of domotics, but I’ve got the whole house kitted out with Philips hue lights. The front door, first and second floors have been put on motion sensors which have been programmed for dimmed schedules at night. Same for the storage and washing rooms.

Love it, waking up and just walking downstairs to walk the dog, the lights just turn on when you walk in the room. At night it’s just enough to prevent accidents, but not enough to wake my sleepy ass.

As the house already has room by room temp settings for heating I dont

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Our entire outside is automated through the Omnilogic system and I absolutely love it. When we refresh the interior at some point will go full bore automation.

We have some wifi LED lights that are RBG and I love those. Control those through Alexa or a phone app. We have them on the covered patio, for instance, and it's perfect as you can control them while chilling out through the sunset and into the evening without having to move from your comfy chair.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: home automation i have:

1. ecobees for each of our 3 zones
2. Hydrawise for irrigation
3. Smart switch for outdoor lighting (lutron doesnt yet make an outdoor comaptible switch, would buy if they did)
4. All lutron caseta dimmers for our overhead lighting, plus a few Lutron smart plugs.
5. Wifi apps for water softener, RO system, generac.

Overall I am very happy with all of it.

Passed over the blinds as it was an extra $300 per window. Its rare that I regret not having this, but if I had it I am sure I would feel otherwise.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please move to the correct thread.

?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been enjoying my smart curtain in the bedroom, which has also become my home office.

If I need to join a video call, I can just "hey google, close curtains" and they slide shut and stop me from being completely backlit. Next up is some smart switches for the lights--would be great to say "hey google, zoom call" and have it close the curtain and automatically bring up the ideal lighting for video.

I haven't yet figured out how to integrate it with the alarms on my phone. Would love if the curtains could open up when my morning alarm goes off.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I uhh... I was just coming here to *****. Didn't realize this had become the White Coat Investor forums. Thanks to that guy for not reading my post and giving me generic advice though.

Home automation - really hated my Wyze bulbs. Haven't found a good use for the plugs. The webcam is alright but we never think to use it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get the need for home automation... however having bedroom curtains/blinds that open up at a pre-determined time would be awesome. However, not sure why using a remote wouldn't suffice. For lighting around the home... what's the point of automating lights in rooms without occupants? I would be more interested in switches that control overhead lights (plus dimmers) and table/floor lamps - very discreet hiding of table/floor lamp cords. Exterior lighting should be on a timer and maybe some others on motion control. What am I missing? I think I've posted on this before but clearly I've learned nothing.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the need for home automation... however having bedroom curtains/blinds that open up at a pre-determined time would be awesome. However, not sure why using a remote wouldn't suffice. For lighting around the home... what's the point of automating lights in rooms without occupants? I would be more interested in switches that control overhead lights (plus dimmers) and table/floor lamps - very discreet hiding of table/floor lamp cords. Exterior lighting should be on a timer and maybe some others on motion control. What am I missing? I think I've posted on this before but clearly I've learned nothing.

with hue I’ve gotten the exterior lights tied to sundown and sun up. So that’s fixed. Walkthrough and temporary work (washing machine room, the storage where I keep my hunting gear) are tied to motion sensors with predetermined timers. The walkthrough areas go off again after 2 minutes, the storage and washroom are on a 10 min timer. All the lights in the living room have been tied together at one hue tap, with 3 different themes (morning, cooking/dinner and dimmed evening).

basically the only light switches I ever touch are the bathroom and that hue tap thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads