• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get the need for home automation... however having bedroom curtains/blinds that open up at a pre-determined time would be awesome. However, not sure why using a remote wouldn't suffice. For lighting around the home... what's the point of automating lights in rooms without occupants? I would be more interested in switches that control overhead lights (plus dimmers) and table/floor lamps - very discreet hiding of table/floor lamp cords. Exterior lighting should be on a timer and maybe some others on motion control. What am I missing? I think I've posted on this before but clearly I've learned nothing.

Along with being able to open/close the curtains (which I just use the remote/voice control for right now since I haven't got it scheduled), it would be nice to be able to shut off the bedroom lights from bed. Sometimes you forget to flip the switch off...you finish reading, flip the bedside light off, and realize you're going to have to get out of bed to turn off the room light? And maybe disturb your cat?

Ditto for lights in a room with a TV. I am fortunate that my dimmer is in reach of the couch, but it is real nice to not have to get up to adjust the lights. If I had automatic blinds in there, I'd want those synced up too.

Of course both of those scenarios are really more about remote control rather than scheduled on/off...but that really all still falls under the smart home/home automation umbrella. Instead of a bunch of proprietary remotes, you can have it all linked into one smart system that is easily controlled with your phone or via google home/alexa/etc.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My wife would love having automatic curtains; I wouldn't get a lot of use out of them. On weekdays I'm usually up 30-45 minutes before her, on weekends that's more like 3 hours.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the need for home automation... however having bedroom curtains/blinds that open up at a pre-determined time would be awesome. However, not sure why using a remote wouldn't suffice. For lighting around the home... what's the point of automating lights in rooms without occupants? I would be more interested in switches that control overhead lights (plus dimmers) and table/floor lamps - very discreet hiding of table/floor lamp cords. Exterior lighting should be on a timer and maybe some others on motion control. What am I missing? I think I've posted on this before but clearly I've learned nothing.
My programmable timer switch for my exterior soffit lights died, as it had a non replaceable Li Ion battery in it. I was looking at replacement options so my master bed and bathroom windows weren’t smothered by down-lighting on the house all night. The option was there for another programmable timer but Lutron Caseta smart switch seemed like a better option, lasts longer because there is no non replaceable battery and more customizable options on scheduling.

I also got a dimmer to control the “holiday accent” lighting switch in my house, which controls outlets in the front facing window sills for candle lights. Helpful to have a dimmer and also have external control if I want them off while I am away.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've been watching a weed sprayer on Amazon. It was at $180 when I started watching and last night it was $120 so I pulled the trigger. Sale confirmed and it's on its way. I went to the link to PSA it here for you guys and now it's $150. I guess I managed to snag it during a SNAFU?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone done a projector in the backyard? Projector quality/price is looking better and better lately

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My lol condo that fell through just got put under contract again - literally a day or so after it went back on the market. @Joytropics was that you? I was the 2nd contracted sale that fell through so maybe 3rd time is the charm for this seller? I am keeping it favorited on redfin to see how things pan out.

Meanwhile, I've upped my budget and saw some much more attractive condos today. All move-in ready that have hung on the market for about 30 days so have some price flexibility. They are all "basement" level units. Some have good light with private entrances (one felt very basement-ish so will discard while the others were quite solid). I've been cautioned against these though. Thoughts on ground level units?

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone done a projector in the backyard? Projector quality/price is looking better and better lately
My neighbors did, along with a bangin' sound system.

Ask me how awesome it is having neighborhood movie night and/or Call of Duty blasting from next door when I'm trying to enjoy my back yard!

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to drop a dime with the HOA!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Reaction score
My wife would love having automatic curtains; I wouldn't get a lot of use out of them. On weekdays I'm usually up 30-45 minutes before her, on weekends that's more like 3 hours.
I feel this. Cept on the weekends for me its like a 5 hour jump sometimes lol.

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My lol condo that fell through just got put under contract again - literally a day or so after it went back on the market. @Joytropics was that you? I was the 2nd contracted sale that fell through so maybe 3rd time is the charm for this seller? I am keeping it favorited on redfin to see how things pan out.

Meanwhile, I've upped my budget and saw some much more attractive condos today. All move-in ready that have hung on the market for about 30 days so have some price flexibility. They are all "basement" level units. Some have good light with private entrances (one felt very basement-ish so will discard while the others were quite solid). I've been cautioned against these though. Thoughts on ground level units?
It couldn't have been joytropics, his offers would never have allowed the condo back on the market after you backed out

I am 2 weeks away from listing the house I think. I have been painting up a storm, and if we don't end of selling it, it looks damned nice if I do say so myself. The bathroom countertops go in today!

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a feat of marketing that somehow plastic floors are now desirable because someone added the word "luxury." It's just 21st century Formica, folks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Time to drop a dime with the HOA!
Yeah no HOA around here. For (mostly) good or ill.
This is exactly the type of thing a good HOA is designed to prevent. There's also an app that takes decibel levels so you can log those and show to the cops if you wanted. Or maybe start by showing them to the neighbor with a copy of any relevant local ordinances?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.