• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Officially DONE with the ktichen! Installed the backsplash yesterday, and the cabinet maker installed the missing trim piece.

Before
you can see the wall that used to separate the kitchen and dining to the right

After: I should note that there will eventually be a thin piece of grey trim between the green and white paint on the header walls in the dining room.

Closeup of the countertop material - looks kind of like sprinkles! Very good at hiding crumbs etc.

Bonus : Dat Dawg!

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The exposed countertop corners look pretty sharp, or is that just from the picture?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Officially DONE with the ktichen! Installed the backsplash yesterday, and the cabinet maker installed the missing trim piece.

Before
you can see the wall that used to separate the kitchen and dining to the right

After: I should note that there will eventually be a thin piece of grey trim between the green and white paint on the header walls in the dining room.

Closeup of the countertop material - looks kind of like sprinkles! Very good at hiding crumbs etc.

Bonus : Dat Dawg!

You should've centered the cooktop.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the metal you chose for behind the cook top. I've not thought of that for our house which would work wonders.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Altogether awesome update, RL.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way - I love having a useable work area to the left rather than the 15" I would have had otherwise

Thank you for this refreshing response. Many of us on this forum love a good picture and often forget that we actually have to wear our clothes and use our kitchens. My parents have a beautiful looking centered cooktop. It sucks to work on because of the lack of counter space. I totally get where you are coming from. It sounds like you really thought about how the space would be used instead of just how it would look. Smart. Enjoy!

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the metal you chose for behind the cook top.  I've not thought of that for our house which would work wonders.

Thanks! It's bright quilt stainless - I got it from Quickship Metals (online) and they were really easy to work with. You can give them measurements down to 1/16" and they will cut it to order if you have a non-standard size.

Altogether awesome update, RL.

Thanks! There were a lot of hiccups, and a it was pretty stressful a times, but it's satisfying to see something my wife and I designed from top to bottom come to life. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it where sometimes I just like to stand in there and appreciate all the things I like about it. Very cool to pick out any detail and know there there is nothing known to me at the moment that I would rather have in it's place!

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Worth going ceiling height on cabinets with a 10' ceiling?

I think it will depend a lot on the style of cabinets and the layout/size of your kitchen. If you need the space, you need the space, but you will need a stool to reach up there. I tend to like the look of ceiling height much more than shorter cabinets, but I can see where they might look weird if too tall.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am planning an inexpensive kitchen remodel. What do you guys think about cabinets from ikea vs Home Depot vs lowes? Apparently contractors don't like the IKEA cabinets, perhaps because they have to assemble it. Any other inexpensive cabinet options I should consider?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads