1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

One match? Your breath for a buffalo fart ?

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

So is the discussion here more DIY home repair/improvement type stuff or bragging about high-end appliances? :confused:

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Depends on the person. I try to DIY unless I know it is cheaper to let someone else do the work. I stay away from a lot of plumbing, new electrical, and HVAC.

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I thought it was for determining who's a cuck.

1 person likes this.
  5. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Combination of recommendations, project updates, bragging, advice. General practice when not DIY is to submit your expense report to see if indfnl thinks it's a waste of money.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    3 people like this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Some of both. Also for talking about how much you enjoy your new spa or gas (cuck) firepit.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I thought it was the same stupid joke for a month thread.

2 people like this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No, that's the POTUS Trump thread, except it's four years.

1 person likes this.
  9. brokencycle

Revisiting a subject we have discussed before, what kinds of pests do you southern folks treat for? I know Turk does a lot of his own spraying: is there a broad spectrum chemical or do you have specific stuff for various pests? Is it an annual or bi-annual treatment or does it require monthly treatments?

This is all new to me because winter took care of basically everything in MN and WI.

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Just four?

As far as pests go, you need to be more specific. Bifenthren will kill mosquitoes, spiders, ants and termites, but is pretty ineffective against rats, moles, and pigeons. It's still your #1 spray, though, can be used outdoors and indoors, lasts for months (indoors), and is quite cheap in concentrated form.

1 person likes this.
  11. brokencycle

As far as I know we don't have any problem with rodents, so my primary concern is insects. The previous owner had a pest control company that came and sprayed once every two months for like $35. I thought you had posted that you don't actually need to treat that often (although I also remember you posting about digging trenches). In fact, some quick google-fu indicates it is good for up to 7 months in soil.

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It depends on what you're treating for. If you want to kill bugs in the soil, drenching it works. But bifenthrin is not the best choice for that. Some bugs can smell it and will avoid it, termites in particular. That won't save them if you spray it on their heads, of course, but it's not effective at drenching your foundation. For that you need to use (generic) termidor, which is a lot more expensive. Not super expensive, of course; it costs about $0.75/ft to treat your foundation at the high level. Termidor lasts ten years or more.

Bifenthrin breaks down or gets washed off from sunlight, rain, oxygen, etc., outdoors and needs to be sprayed at least once a month. Indoors it holds up a lot better.

1 person likes this.
  13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We get a spray every 3 months for $70. I forget what they spray. I don't know if it helps but it gives my wife peace of mind. I think I need them to spray along the garage line as that is where we get most of our bugs.

I really need to get rid of moles. I can already see them tearing up the yard outside.

14. brokencycle

Thanks for the info. It seems better to spray something once that can last a year or more than pay some guy $30-40/month. If it is something I need to spray every month, I'm not that interested, but an annual or less application is fine by me.

I was reading though that termidor is linked to bee colony collapse. Other options, like Chlorfenapyr, seem super toxic, or, like cypermethrin, kill just about any insect and can be harmful to dogs and cats. So termidor is probably the best choice.

15. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Redfin just sent me an alert. Shittier house with same layout but smaller lot size in the neighborhood with a sell price close to 100K over my place. Just move in last month.

That sounds retarded. Wonder if it will sell.

16. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Pretty much everything has been linked to hurting bees in one way or another. Take it with a grain of salt.

Plus, termidor is mixed with large amounts of water and literally dumped into trenches and allowed to soak into the ground. If you're worried about all those poor, defenseless bees don't plant things they eat close to your house.

Saturating the ground with termidor won't stop mosquitos or spiders or roaches or wasps or the various other insect pests you'd control with bifenthrin, though.

17. brokencycle

So do you spray your yard with bifenthrin? Or how do you normally apply it?

18. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

You spray it wherever the bad bugs are. I don't have insect problems indoors and don't spray it there. I generally don't care about spiders or wasps (unless they're in really bad spots) or harmless bugs in general.

Mosquitoes, though, are a huge nuisance and worth killing. So you have to go where they are during the day when they're resting -- in shrubs and in dark, sheltered spots. You spray those surfaces with the stuff and it kills mosquitos on contact, both when it's sprayed and as a residual effect (but it only lasts about a month, tops).

I have a gas powered sprayer that's basically a leaf blower that can saturate areas with a fine mist very quickly. Doing it with a pump sprayer in a large yard is tedious, I agree. Whether it's worth it for you depends on how bad the mosquitoes are, I guess.

For ants you just mix it in a bucket and dump it right on their mounds. One application should wipe them out.

19. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

What about for scorpions?

Serious question, my daughter was stung last night. My wife is ready to call a pest control company and spend any amount of money they say is necessary. They're not venemous around here and apparently it's common in areas of new construction to find some inside.

20. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

What the hell is going on in here, ya cucks!