1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

:rotflmao: @ the last part.

Yeah man... I posted due to the sticker shock we have seen already. Who did you use so that we can avoid them (those prices are nuts)... unless it's all like that outside of Home Depot? :embar:

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

NYC.

Check with some of the chains: Shade Store, Smith and Noble. Restoration Hardware can have decent finished lengths when on sale.

But really, there's no way to win. Drapes are stupid expensive.

lefty

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

No doubt. Ugh. Thanks again. :cheers:

4. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

You might look around on etsy. That's what the wife I and I ended up doing for our oversize front windows.

1 person likes this.
  5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Blinds are $$$$$ at least try to negotiate to pay cash

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

And don't forget the hardware :D

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I am glad we don't have oversized windows for this reason. We have sheers instead of blinds but I am thinking we need blinds in our guest bedroom as the sunrise makes that room really bright at 5am in the summer and blackout shades/curtains don't do the job.

8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I think it also has to do with actually being able to see a difference in resolution - i.e. You can't see the difference between 720 and 1080 on a screen size X from Y feet away.

What man has ever regretted buying a larger tv?

Edit: slickdeals homepage has a sharp 70" 4K listed at 1600 right now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

The crazy thing is that even at 70" the "optimal viewing distance" is 6.5-7 feet.

It is so good to see these 4k TVs really start taking off because it is killing the useless 3D technology.

10. otc

otc Senior member

I have a 4k TV.
    I think I've watched 4k content once...to make sure it works :( Some little amazon underwater documentary.

Built in youtube app doesn't do 4k, I don't want to pay extra for netflix 4k, and the last amazon show I watched (Bosch) was only available in 1080p.

If I don't use the built in stuff, I think I need a new receiver that supports 4k and I might have to upgrade my HTPC too. And even then, all it is really doing is upscaling 720 and 1080 content (which the TV already does a good job of).

But hey...it didn't cost any more than the 1080p displays I was also shopping for, and now I am ready for the future!

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

My TV is 8 years old this May and still going strong :)

12. brimley

brimley Senior member

With TVs on the large side it's not a resolution issue, it's a viewing angle issue. 70" at 6.5' is right about where you have trouble seeing the entire screen at once. I've had home theater projectors in a variety of apts/homes over the last ten years and if you're projecting at a fairly short distance, even 720p won't bother you but 80" is a lot. Which is funny because projectors are actually really practical for small spaces since you wall mount.

OTC, your TV probably does a better upscaling job than most receivers, but you should be able to set the receiver to pass through. HTPC upscaling with most setups is better than either. The real nice part about 4K is HTPC resolution.

We bought our first place, new construction townhome, ordered the top down/bottom up HD honeycomb blinds for the top floor for privacy and views. Not cheap. Hope they work out, will wait for install before we decide on window treatments for the rest of the place.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I bought my television from a friend (who bought it from a friend himself). I think it's 32", and it does only 1080i. I have never thought to myself while watching something that I needed a bigger or higher-resolution television. In fact, I dread the day I need to replace it because every time I go to someone else's house who has a new screen, I am assaulted by how terrible everything looks. Movies look like overlit sitcoms.

14. sonick

sonick Senior member

Th
    that's more a result of poor calibration than resolution upscaling.

2 people like this.
  15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

So I got the quote in for the tile. 475sq ft = $11K lol. Keep in mind the tile itself only accounts for $2700 of that. Sooooo, I'm having Lowes come give me an estimate. Obviously a locally owned union labor shop is out of the question.

My concern is a crack I have in the slab that flexes a little bit with the seasons. The current tile has cracks in the grout from it in about a 3ft square area but that tile has probably been down for 30 years. Dude said he would put down this flexible orange plastic base but it's $3 a sqft. I'm temped to just deal with grout cracking down the road rather than an extra $1500 for that shit. We'll see what Lowe's throws at me.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very well could be, but I responding to the broader question of who doesn't want a bigger television. Me.

17. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Your bathroom is 475 sq. ft. or is that also including tile on the walls? I dread the day we get an estimate but I would be fine with $11K personally for a bathroom remodel.

18. otc

otc Senior member

That's all calibration issues. Displays often come with horrible calibration that is designed to make them look brighter and more saturated than the competition in a big florescent lit Best Buy. If you have a popular model, you can often find settings online that get you 75% of the way there...and you can find test images to display to get you to 90%. It was either CNET or RTings.com that had an easy guide that looked pretty good on my TV.
    I've got a screen calibration puck (like the ones photographers use)...I intend to use it on my TV soon to get it perfect, but honestly, I probably spent a couple hours tweaking settings in the first month I owned my new TV just to get it looking how I wanted and that was sufficient (and I'm picky).

I just went from a 32" to a 50"...I didn't really want to go any bigger because I hate how giant TVs look sitting in your living room (I'd get a projector before an 80" monster any day), but it was the culmination of two issues. 1) I had moved, and my new seating position was a couple feet further from the TV; and 2) I've been noticing that the text and details used in TV shows/movies/games seems to have been shrinking now that you can buy 50" screens for $200 on black friday and everybody has HD. Those two combined were making me feel the screen was small...I don't game much on the TV, but I definitely couldn't play games from the sofa very well.

If I owned the place, I probably would have kept the small TV, mounted a projector on the ceiling/wall, and installed a screen that pulls down right in front of the TV. That way I could still have the TV on casually without wasting bulb life, but put on a movie at night on a big screen. You can get a solid 720p projector for under $400 or a great 1080p projector for $800...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  19. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Foyer and sitting room. We're doing wood look tile (bring the hate). 475sqft is both rooms. That'd be a big bathroom.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  20. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I would say get the root problem fixed. It sucks now, but it might get worse and cause more problems later.