• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First thing to do is figure out how old the wiring is. If it's older than 1990-ish, the romex is rated for a lower temperature and boxing it in with the lights could be dangerous. You might have to replace the wires to do it safely (not hard, but not fun either).

If it's safe to enclose the wires, you can build boxes from rigid foam insulation (which costs about $10 for an 4x8 sheet). Seal the edges with metal duct tape.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will have to check on the ceiling fans but all of the can lighting is pretty new from the 2000s. There was some added blown in insulation at some point but not much. The rigid insulation is not a bad idea and seems easy enough. Another thing I need to look into is if I have enough air circulation up there before I add more insulation. If not I will have to add some vent chutes but that is easy enough.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Our contractors have always been great. Worked with the same subs for years, always see the same faces. Super conscientious guys who go above and beyond anything asked.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I will have to check on the ceiling fans but all of the can lighting is pretty new from the 2000s.  There was some added blown in insulation at some point but not much.  The rigid insulation is not a bad idea and seems easy enough.  Another thing I need to look into is if I have enough air circulation up there before I add more insulation.  If not I will have to add some vent chutes but that is easy enough.

You can never have too many soffit vents, especially if you have power ventilation. No matter how the attic is vented it's probably pulling the air out of your house. It really pays to seal the ceiling (do the wall cavities, too). Caulk is cheap. Do it before you add more insulation.

There should be no harm in covering ceiling fan wires with insulation. The problem with light cans is that the bulb can get really hot and the heat has nowhere to go if it's in a box surrounded by insulation. Ceiling fan boxes don't have that problem. Do caulk the hell out of those ceiling boxes, though. Each one is like a big hole in your ceiling.

Oh, when I said to tape the boxes, I meant tape the foam together to make a box. Shove the box down over the fixture and caulk it to the ceiling (a brick or a book or something on top helps to hold it in place as the caulk dries).

Last edited:

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question: When signing a contract to purchase a new construction property (condominium unit), is it important for the buyer (me) and the sponsor (seller) to have our ink signatures on the original document? Or is it good enough to send scanned, digital copies to be signed?

Last edited:

js0930

Reaction score

I've been taking down wallpaper. God this sucks

I recently did pretty much my whole house. Assuming they use a water soluble glue, use a paint roller with a bucket of water (way more water than you would ever think you need) and a very sharp scraper (or do what I did and hire some people at $12/hour. They're going to be better at it than you are any way).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My ******* homeworks system fried last night when the generator switched on. I would kill to have regular light switches.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't say that - I'm about to switch my Crestron lights and Somfy shades over to a Savant system to unify AV, lights and shades. Maybe I should keep some switches.

You run off generators or is this a backup?

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Backup. Storm last night. We have manual switching for emergencies, but only as four quadrants of the system.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads