1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

We've monitored it for 3 years. The inspector said they put in the chimney before the slab was dry and it cracked. It's not getting any worse. Just flexes a little. The orange stuff flexes instead of the tile. But to keep the whole floor level you'd have to put it everywhere. Basically a whole body bandage because you have an ingrown nail.

http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...ng-(DITRA)/Schluter®-DITRA-&-DITRA-XL/p/DITRA

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Finally on track with my kitchen project. Starting May 2nd. Cabinet delivery June 1st. Going to have the rest of the windows done and the baseboard finished at the same time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

[​IMG]

Lazy picture of the new carpet. It's not as vibrant as the eBay photos, but I love it. It's perfect size as well.

4 people like this.
  4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Probably bad time to mention this, but I've been noticing some moths in the past few weeks. Yesterday I tossed out a very large cabinet that sat on a Gabbeh rug in my dressing room. In the back corner of the rug was a large hole with active moth larvae. Today, I pulled everything from my closets, sent the rug out for cleaning and repair, washed the shelves, walls and floor, sent all wool to the dry cleaner (but for suits and coats which will be sent to a better cleaner), and am in the process of washing every piece of cotton and linen I own. During all this I killed about 6 flying moths.

My wife's dressing room is three times larger than mine and I shudder to think about how much of a bitch it will be to clean. Plus our bedroom carpet is wall-to-wall wool.

RL, you may want to have that rug cleaned.

sad lefty

5. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Thanks, will do. Need to get some kind of thin pad for it as well.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

How old were y'all when you bought your first home? And how long did you stay at that place before selling and moving somewhere else? Did your house appreciate enough to offset closing costs?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Bought my first home in 1974 in San Jose Ca. for $35,750 I was 29 yrs old . You don't want to know the rest,it'll just make you feel bad.

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Oh, but I do.

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

3 people like this.
  11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Damn, well done on all accounts. I'm most impressed with the first home -- it doubled in value in just five years? That's pretty sweet.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

A house in our development recently sold for about 320k more than what we paid for ours in 2012. That house has about 1/2 the land, is about 600 sq feet smaller, and doesn't have a guest house. I'm thinking were good.

2 people like this.
  13. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Bought in Oct. 2013 @ 357.5 (was 350, but we split the cost of a new roof with the seller) was 28. Just appraised for 555 as part our (hopefully last) refi. Probably have put 25-30k in improvements in so far, though quite a bit of sweat equity too.

1 person likes this.
  14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My wife bought at 27. After 2 years it appreciated enough that we had 20% down on the house we are currently in. We have put in fence, repiped the house, and refi'd from a 30yr to 15yr. I would not have been able to afford a down payment but my wife's family helped her.

Nashville property is booming and we live in a desirable area. We plan to stay here unless something big happens like moving for a job or we need a bigger place but at 2700 sq ft with a great layout is enough. We checked out houses with 3500+ sq ft of space and it just seemed like we would have to buy stuff to fill space we would never use.

Hopefully this made sense...running on no sleep.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Real estate is like stocks, you haven't made anything until its sold.

1 person likes this.
  16. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

My parents paid $17000. Yes $17K for their place in Austin in '76. Recent appraisal was 550K.

17. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I on the other hand bought our place 3 years ago and it appears to be a flat market here. That's fine. I just don't want to lose money.

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

So depressing thinking about real estate back home... My parents had the choice between a $90k house in Cupertino or a $30k mobile home in north San Jose back in the early 80s. They chose the mobile home, which they essentially gave away a few years ago. That Cupertino home would be worth $1.5m or more now.

1 person likes this.
  19. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I bought in 2010 - was 23. Can't say if it has appreciated enough yet, but I can tell you my mortgage with insurance and taxes is about what I was paying in rent, I now get to itemize my deductions, and the houses around me are selling for more than when I bought: I'm thinking I should get ~25% increase (though we have done a lot of work to the house).

All that being said, based on how property prices have been going around here I think we're due for another correction.

1 person likes this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sort of true. If we wanted there is much equity we could tap and we also get to live here so it fulfills a utilitarian purpose. In addition we also get to enjoy living here so there's a qualitative benefit too. But yeah, that gain is unrealized until sold. As we bought well under the appraised market value at the time it was like exercising a stock option to buy "in the money."

1 person likes this.