• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did not realize he began career that early. My dad did his residency at Henry Ford in the mid-'60's & we had season tickets at the Olympia. Horton, Frank Mahavolich, Terry Sawchuk & Dave Keon are the Leafs I remember.

Watching live hockey is an entirely different experience compared to TV - we moved to NY area in the late '60's and I got excited about my new team, the Rangers. No season tickets but my dad reassured me w/ the fact that channel 9 broadcast their games - sadly, I soon discovered that televised hockey (especially 1960's technology on a small b&w set) was not the same thing, at all...

Maple Leaf Gardens was a one of the great hockey cathedrals and a memorable experience for a kid in the 1960s. Men in overcoats and hats, smoking and drinking in the frigid stands. The restroom didn't have urinals, so you peed into a long cast iron trough alongside everyone else.

And the place for Game 2 of the Summit Series.

I saw Jethro Tull there in '72, Genesis in '74, Supertramp in '76, Blue Oyster Cult in '78.

Now it's a ******* Loblaws.

Pre-HD televised hockey was ass.

Nothing matched listening to Hockey Night in Canada on the radio. It unified the country as much as anything.

Here's Foster Hewitt in 1942:

are you guys saying you've never known the thrill of straining eyeball and mind to perceive soft-core through the veil of snow and scramble ?

If you turned your head slightly to the left and squinted, you could make out boobs.

Very cool. I've been in some old farm houses where they'd laid rope between floor boards. What part of the world is your place in?

I'm going to try to quarter saw most of the flooring (grain direction at a right angle to the boards' surfaces), which should result in boards that shrink a lot less. If they're still not dry enough to use next winter, I'll borrow some space in a friend's solar kiln. I hope to do the wood shop floor using green wood in the Korean style. That's a cool way to make a floor.

Upstate NY.

I used an aging accelerator on the ceiling hemlock which gave it a pretty cool look with minimal work, though I did have to sand the wood down.

1642261173225.png

8176CE6C-289C-4BA4-B1F5-DC8C031A9DBE_1_105_c.jpeg

D9CE34FA-ED70-45E8-AA05-6AB250D5D533_1_105_c.jpeg

lefty

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maple Leaf Gardens was a one of the great hockey cathedrals and a memorable experience for a kid in the 1960s. Men in overcoats and hats, smoking and drinking in the frigid stands. The restroom didn't have urinals, so you peed into a long cast iron trough alongside everyone else.

And the place for Game 2 of the Summit Series.

I saw Jethro Tull there in '72, Genesis in '74, Supertramp in '76, Blue Oyster Cult in '78.

Now it's a ******* Loblaws.
My older brother took me to see Rage Against the Machine, Gang Starr and At The Drive In there in 99. Hell of a show.

I got to witness the communal trough washrooms a few years later at Michigan Stadium. It's a, uh, unique experience seeing the steam rising off everyone's urine on a cold gameday.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My older brother took me to see Rage Against the Machine, Gang Starr and At The Drive In there in 99. Hell of a show.

I got to witness the communal trough washrooms a few years later at Michigan Stadium. It's a, uh, unique experience seeing the steam rising off everyone's urine on a cold gameday.

The troughs at the Gardens were enameled cast iron so you can imagine what decades of beer piss did to them.

They hosted some great shows there, including Elvis. Between Toronto, Buffalo and Niagara Falls, I was in the perfect time and place to see the seminal, and I guess, last of the stadium rock bands. By the end of 1978, my hair was blue and I was wearing bondage pants and creepers hanging around the Horseshoe Tavern on Queen Street. I missed The Last Pogo by a few months.

Of course, nothing compared to Floyd at Ivor Wynne Stadium in 1975. Some consider it in the top ten of greatest rock concerts. Well, I do.

1642276712501.png

1642276734792.png
1642275865037.png

55,000 kids in a stadium that maybe held 28,000.

$8.50 and general admission which was a bad ******* idea. Kids mobbed the place for days and as @dadjeans knows, the stadium is in the middle of a residential area.

The cops tried to confiscate booze at the entrance but the garbage bins filled up in no time and started leaking so you had to walk through a river of booze to get in. Finally they just gave up and let people pass. Then they opened the cattle doors and it was a stampede. We grabbed each others belt loops and hung on as we were swept in with the crowd. Made it to the thirty yard line, dead centre to the stage.

It was the last date for the NA tour so the tech crew used all their pyrotechnics and blew the place up. There were rockets on wires that ran the length of the stadium and damaged the scoreboard. It would be thirty years before another concert was allowed there.

I was stoned on hash, yellow sunshine acid and peyote. Drugs were everywhere and freely passed around. There was a guy holding up a sign that read, "Chemical Wanted in Quantity" and paramedics would walk around asking if everyone was "cool".

Can't recall the urinal situation. I may have just pissed my pants as it would have been easier.

No fights, bad trips, or bullshit. My mother packed us ham and cheese sandwiches.

That, my young friends, was a concert.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics