• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic.. But my Flame Panda's on the 108 last and CLOE New10 Horserump arrived yesterday....

IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1465.jpg
IMG_1474.jpg
IMG_1478.jpg
IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1491.jpg
IMG_1486.jpg
IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg
IMG_1508.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg
IMG_1505.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cross post from Yeossal thread: The new Yeossal CGMTO is rolling out soon but the page is live. The concept is patinas rather than a shoe style like before with the brogues or pie crust aprons. Any shoe in their MTO list is eligible if you use the patina option for leather. If 15 join the patina up charge is covered and lasted trees. Closes in a couple weeks it looks like. https://www.yeossal.com/pages/cgo-patina-feb2021

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And for when our MTO doesn't work...

though did check with @LA Guy, you need to put up a B&S link first and just link to B&S rather than on the thread only

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Yeossal thread - High end Chinese MTO/RTW vs High end Japanese RTW?

I'd been meaning to write this up for a while - I picked up a pair of oxfords from the Y sale they had on old stock/GMTO returns to try and dial in my sizing and when they got here I felt like it was a more fair comparison than my Thompsons and I was curious how they would stack up against the best pair of shoes in my collection. My photography sucks but hopefully you'll get the point. The short version is that if you're looking for a way to break into good handwelted shoes - Y is a great place to look. Comparison in the spoiler and this really shouldn't be a fair fight so don't go read it expecting me to say Y is better than YF.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.50.20 AM.png

Price point - I got the Y's on sale for something like $500 USD - Normal pricing gets closer to $700 with trees, toe plates, shipping etc. Fukuda is $2,300 plus shipping for about the same.

People talk about specs a lot - Things like stitches per inch on the upper, stitches per inch on the sole, handwelted, hand lasted, etc. These two shoes are an example that the numbers alone tell you some but not a lot on how they're actually executed.

On to stitches per inch on the sole - Yeossal boasts 12 SPI, Yohei is 10. Both are machine stitched.
The Yeossals are mostly very good but there are a couple stitches here and there that aren't the most tidy and miss.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.58.12 AM.png

The YFs have deeper fudging and the stitching is more deliberate - Not a single stitch is missed and they fall perfectly in the fudging.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.58.19 AM.png

The uppers and broguing detail
The Yeossals are again pretty good - There are a couple places where the broguing floats a little bit and gets closer to the edge one way or another
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.03.57 AM.png

The YFs - There is less broguing but every single one is placed the exact same distance perfectly.

The heels - Both have a slightly pitched heel - The Y tapers a bit more than I would prefer but it's slightly more subtle on this pair than on my Thompsons which are almost Cuban.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.07.18 AM.png

You can also see the stitching on the uppers, the skiving and clicking is just a little bit cleaner and more precise on the YFs here at the heel closure.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.07.28 AM.png

Sole work - Both have a tight waist with Y actually being just slightly slimmer. YF has the smaller heel but both are very good.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.10.33 AM.png

Leather quality - YF wins here. The leather is just better quality but the Yeossals are not bad by any sense of the word, YF just has the edge and for more than 3x the price it should.

Last definition and shape - Obviously this is a lot of personal preference but the Yeossal holds up surprisingly very well. The shape is refined, there is good definition and nothing looks out of place. The YF last is slightly more refined but they're also different shapes.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.16.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.16.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.16.20 AM.png

As for the goodies that come with your shoes - They both come with two shoe bags with the Yeossal being velvet and the YFs being wool

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.43.07 AM.png

YF comes with a polishing cloth as well and his wooden box which is a nice to have but not a game changer.

The trees are similar with the YFs being a little more finished and a little lighter even though the core isn't drilled out like on the Yeossal trees.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.43.25 AM.png
These shoes truly belong in different categories but I did want to compare because the value for what you get from Yeossal is really exceptional and I'll admit to being shocked how well they held up against the YFs. The biggest differences come when you put them side by side and start to pull out a tape measure or hold them a foot from your face. If you're on the fence about whether or not a handwelted shoe from China is worth $700 I'm confident in saying that you have nothing to worry about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads