1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Fall of Civilization

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by android, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

(imageWIS @ April 26 2005,15:06) I think the fall of civilization is marked by the unintelligible comments posted by "˜jmswentworth'. Jon.
    All right, perhaps my comment on leisure class. Nevertheless, I remain; there is no civilisation without a distinct class system, which is individual to the society. Therefore, you can argue as much as you like, no gentry, no civilisation.
    OK, now can you explain why the US does not have "gentry" but the Aztecs and Bedouin did?

2. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    (jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,15:09)
    I think the fall of civilization is marked by the unintelligible comments posted by "˜jmswentworth'. Jon.
    All right, perhaps my comment on leisure class. Nevertheless, I remain; there is no civilisation without a distinct class system, which is individual to the society. Therefore, you can argue as much as you like, no gentry, no civilisation.
    OK, now can you explain why the US does not have "gentry" but the Aztecs and Bedouin did?
    Al Saud. Montezuma.

3. jmswentworth

4. jmswentworth

Next you will tell me that the American Civil Rights Movement did not destroy any hope of a gentry.

5. jmswentworth

Basically saying that, as per the definition, we can never be a civilisation.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    "We"?

Who is "we" in this statement?

And while we're on the subject, what color is the sky in your world?

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

(imageWIS @ April 26 2005,15:06) I think the fall of civilization is marked by the unintelligible comments posted by "˜jmswentworth'. Jon.
    ok, JM, has anybody in the history of the study of civilization ever used that definition before? does anybody agree with you on that definition?

8. jmswentworth

(jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,17:21) Basically saying that, as per the definition, we can never be a civilisation.
    "We"? Who is "we" in this statement? And while we're on the subject, what color is the sky in your world?
    We is obviously the people who made this statement; the Americans. The sky is currently black-midnight blue in 'my' world.

9. jmswentworth

(jmswentworth @ April 26 2005,15:09)
    I think the fall of civilization is marked by the unintelligible comments posted by "˜jmswentworth'. Jon.
    ok, JM, has anybody in the history of the study of civilization ever used that definition before? does anybody agree with you on that definition?
    The whole of the Conservative party, as well as the British gentry.

10. jmswentworth

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'M GOING INSANE, WHAT DO WORDS MEAN. WHAT AM I SAYING, BLAH...

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

since the whole "latin" thing is in vogue right now on the SF:

- Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis
    exponebantur ad necem.

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

The lack of civility from one human being to another evidenced by the ad-hominem posts and flame throwing in this topic.

Sorry for the quick trigger finger. This one's locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.