• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Nice! Simple, clean, classy... looks good next to a pool. The bag isn't bad either.

jk I like the size/layout of the bag and its functionality. Is it unlined?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No it has a light cotton lining in the usual Frescobol motif. I dig it:

1083313_4_large.jpg

NGOStudio

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while! I very rarely get a chance to use this bag... but it's long been one of my favorites. It's an exotic oversized tote from Gianfranco Ferre's final menswear season before he died (SS 2008). Now that summer is coming to an end, I think I'll pull it out and use it a few times before it gets too cold.

It's got alternating panels of ostrich, crocodile, and python. Any guess what the glossy hide is in the middle? (maybe alligator?) They had two versions of the bag that season, this one in a tote and a duffel bag featured on the runway.

View attachment 838236

View attachment 838237

View attachment 838238

Not very clear but the middle is likely to be crocodile (middle pores if my eye were correct). From a GF's collection during his lifetime, I think it's a Nile or Porosus, but with such pattern, I think it's more likely to be a Nile or Niloticus

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
Could anyone make a suggestion on a messenger bag with the following traits:

-Spacious, good amount of pockets, but not clunky
-Stylish, but simplistic in branding
-Dark, preferably black
-Under $1000 (Doesn't necessarily need to be anywhere near $1000, but thats my limit).
-Can come from anywhere, as long as I can get it shipped to the US

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What will you be carrying?

Bob Anderson

Reaction score
What will you be carrying?
15 inch Laptop, misc. electronics (mouse, chargers, headphones, etc.), small toiletries one might take on an airplane. I'll mostly be traveling with it. Preferably one with a decent amount of compartments that doesn't look like it has too many compartments. I have a cheap one right now with plenty of space, but it's falling a part and not that great looking.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This might not rate high on the style meter, but I have one and love it for it's day to day functionality - the Tumi Anderson Alpha Bravo in Hickory (dark brown, almost black with some mid brown accents). Great storage/compartments, bomb proof ballistic nylon material (mine is about 2 years old now and still looks new), and is expandable which comes in handy on occasion: https://www.zappos.com/p/tumi-alpha...41726?ef_id=VzI9nwAABNFYGAlH:20170923024124:s

3356929-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

At the current pricing of $350 or so, it's a great bag.

I also have the Everett which, while it looks remarkably similar, is larger - more like a small overnighter/weekender and not expandable - but similar configuration and, for me the flat out perfect carry-on for flights. Both the Anderson and Everett both have zipper'ed trick sleeve in the back for sliding on a luggage handle too.

Seriously, I choked a bit when I picked up the Everett (at full retail, my first expensive "bag") and then even more so when I added the Anderson just a few months later; but looking back, for what I use them for and as much use as I get out of them, I can't see a better way to have spent the money.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
15 inch Laptop, misc. electronics (mouse, chargers, headphones, etc.), small toiletries one might take on an airplane. I'll mostly be traveling with it. Preferably one with a decent amount of compartments that doesn't look like it has too many compartments. I have a cheap one right now with plenty of space, but it's falling a part and not that great looking.

Maybe the Porter 3 way briefcase (or 2 way for slimmer profile). I'm assuming you're ok with it being more informal. If you're carrying a heavier load, you can convert it to a backpack to distribute the weight better.

7a39b2fbf935f122448d1f3820f0d877e07d200b

This is actually a pretty decent review with pics: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/porters-3-way-brief-unplggd-te-164346

Slightly cheaper ordered from Japan.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
Could anyone make a suggestion on a messenger bag with the following traits:

-Spacious, good amount of pockets, but not clunky
-Stylish, but simplistic in branding
-Dark, preferably black
-Under $1000 (Doesn't necessarily need to be anywhere near $1000, but thats my limit).
-Can come from anywhere, as long as I can get it shipped to the US

For that price, you could probably have a bespoke one made for you by Glaser Designs (http://www.glaserdesigns.com/). It will last for decades. Tumi is still good (not sure if Samsonite will do "quality fade" on the brand).

You could also have a look at Filson's new weatherproof all-leather bags (they are heavy, though):
https://www.filson.com/luggage-bags...weatherproof-original-briefcase-11070394.html

Killspencer's briefcases are also good, but perhaps too thin for your liking:
https://killspencer.com/collections/briefcase/products/briefcase-2-0?variant=41654992846

Finally, I like the Hard Graft brand, and their bags are quite versatile, but usually not available in dark leather:
https://www.hardgraft.com/products/back2back-classic
this one is available in black, but the unconventional design may not be your cup of tea:
https://www.hardgraft.com/products/2unfold-coal

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI. I picked up a couple bags recently and am probably going to be letting them go. Hit me up if interested. Both bags are new and never been used. Here are some pics:

Porter Yoshida 3-Way Booth Retail $500, asking $250
853-07995.jpg

Kika NY Duffle Backpack Retail $1,325, Purchased $530, Asking $480
man-of-the-world-kika-ny-brown-leather-duffel-backpack-alt1_grande.jpg

Last edited:

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
Just an FYI. I picked up a couple bags recently and am probably going to be letting them go. Hit me up if interested. Both bags are new and never been used. Here are some pics:

Porter Yoshida 3-Way Booth Retail $500, asking $250
View attachment 852759

Kika NY Duffle Backpack Retail $1,325, Purchased $530, Asking $480
View attachment 852760

Not in the market, but out of curiosity, how did you like the functionality of the duffle backpack. I like the design.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not in the market, but out of curiosity, how did you like the functionality of the duffle backpack. I like the design.

It is great. Tons of storage and I like this version better than the newer version because the newer version does not have the exterior storage compartments. Frankly, the reason for the sell is that the bag is a little more than I need.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
Just released a couple of less expensive options made with bridle leather to the new collection. These are fully lined, extensively hand stitched, and are around the $700usd mark. I don't believe that there's a better value in this part of the market at this time.

Furthermore, you can customize both to-order with different colors and options online.

Franklin Breifcase
Franklin-Briefcase.jpg
Jefferson Messenger
Jefferson Messenger.jpg

NGOStudio

Reaction score
Something my acquaintance can make, just want to put it here since I think it's really nice. I think I'm going to commission the guy to work on the patina of some of my old leather items.

23004784_1281695465267598_5029755681666222286_o.jpg

22496043_1268261616610983_7731393025115647163_o.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads