• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

wooj

Reaction score

I  need a new garment bag - any suggestions?

And probably should replace my main business luggage - the old black Tumi roll suitcase that fits in the overhead bin.  Suggestions?

Thanks
I take 60-80 business trips a year, primarily 1-3 days, so view my suggestion through that lens, and understand that your needs might not be similar.

Through trial and error, I have found the best solution to be three bags; a rolling bag, a trifold garment bag, and a duffle. I use the garment bag or the duffle for one day trips, depending on whether I have jackets and dress shirts or not. Longer trips use the rolling bag, plus a briefcase, or either the garment bag or the duffle with a briefcase inside. I never check bags if I can help it (maybe once a year).

An earlier poster suggested Briggs and Riley. In my view they are the best value out there. Not inexpensive, but very well built and great warranty. My choice for the rolling bag would be U122CX http://www.briggs-riley.com/categor...d=Domestic-Carry-On-Expandable-Upright_U122CX, which has two good features: (1) the built in garment bag, and (2) it is expandable if you go somewhere and need to expand it (and check it) to fit more stuff. B&R has two duffles I like (for slightly different purposes): (1) 640X http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Expandable-Duffle_640X, and (2) 256 http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Large-Weekender_256. The one you want depends whether you like structure or not.

Briggs and Riley has a compact garment bag, which I bought and returned. As good as it is, the Tumi is better: Alpha Tri-Fold http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4063080. It is a great bag, really well designed and built.

Hope this helps.

letmefly

Reaction score

I've received my Ben Minkoff bag now and used it the other day for going to the gym. After using smaller bags before I have to say I really appreciated the slightly bigger size. We don't have any lockers and this one fits all my stuff apart from coat and jacket while training. Looks very cool with this all black quite matt finish. The picture is quite accurate which is always a nice touch. Fairly light. Decent pebbled leather. Holds it's shape decently when empty. Only possible concern is the zipper which looks and feels quite sturdy but no idea of the make and no markings. Time will tell I guess but in all this was a very positive surprise.

Noticed the other day that the zipper is YKK as it is stated on the side of the zipper... (too used to looking at the top, front or back of the zipper I forgot the sides...

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ettinger tote, my favourite bag to date, carry it to work everyday.

Exdeath

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with Bedouin stuff?

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a moore & giles torrence briefcase in dresden leather and was mildly impressed at first, been using it for a few weeks now and I'm really liking it for my needs, construction and hardware are solid, fits laptop and files neatly without being too thick or bulky, has great padding, thick supple (coated?) leather, nice handles, some good stuff here and suits me better than the mismo/porter ones I've tried, we'll see how it hold up down the road

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I got a moore & giles torrence briefcase in dresden leather and was mildly impressed at first, been using it for a few weeks now and I'm really liking it for my needs, construction and hardware are solid, fits laptop and files neatly without being too thick or bulky, has great padding, thick supple (coated?) leather, nice handles, some good stuff here and suits me better than the mismo/porter ones I've tried, we'll see how it hold up down the road

That's actually one of the company's better designs. I like the brief a lot. Could you post some pictures of it and the interior when you get a chance? I'd like to see it outside of the typical marketing shots.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pdsf

Reaction score

Noticed the other day that the zipper is YKK as it is stated on the side of the zipper... (too used to looking at the top, front or back of the zipper I forgot the sides...

Thanks!!

Ettinger tote, my favourite bag to date, carry it to work everyday.

That's a good looking bag. I have heard good things about Ettinger. Did you get it from the UK?

Hey you! So the leather might be coated? What gave it away?

Last edited:

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's actually one of the company's better designs. I like the brief a lot. Could you post some pictures of it and the interior when you get a chance? I'd like to see it outside of the typical marketing shots.

Sure thing mate...
And considering there wasn't a good review on this brand when I searched here, just a couple random recs without much detail, I'll add the full review below with lots of spoiler pics

The size and pocket configuration works almost perfect for me, outside magnetic pocket is spacious enough to hold my gs4 with a double clip case and my cdgh+ long wallet with space left over for random bills, letters, papers or whathaveyou and the magnet is strong enough to work through some layers too

Inside it has this black pinstipe on white fabirc lining, not my personal preference as white is going to get dirty as hell but it looks good considering the black leather outer, pocket configuration is pretty standard but spacious, thicker padding throughout the body between lining and leather, also laptop sleeve has double padding which seems like more than enough to prevent damage even if accidentally dropped, aside from the laptop sleeve, which is held in place by a handy velcro strap, it has a small pocket to hold iphone/cigarettes/lozenges/mints/etc, a generous business card pocket, 3 pen holders, leather key clip strap and a large zipped pocket, my usual setup inside is a 13" mbp, several files/folders, small notebook, eyeglass case and still have space left over, could easily fit 15" mbp and legal size folders alternatively

Subtle outside branding

Nicely reinforced corners and bottom, also handles feel very strong and sturdy, no obvious week points to worry about carrying heavy loads, all the hardware has a nice satin silver tone finish and looks solid, zippers are silver as well but have a slightly shinier finish and aren't branded but look decent

It also comes with a nice shoulder strap, which I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but I certainly will and looks as sturdy and well constructed and the rest of the bag, will report back when this gets more wear over time

Hey you! So the leather might be coated? What gave it away?

Hey you, still in portland? or back in chilly atlanta, lol...
Well, its hard to say but tbh the leather feels great, no cheap coating giveaways here, lots of depth, lots of texture, dresden is apparently one of the better and thicker leathers they work with, anyway it just has this matte dull sheen to it and it doesn't scratch easily like regular leathers, I mean not that it couldn't but I've been using it for several weeks now and it hasnt scratched yet, not even a single mark on it, not on the corners, not on the bottom (check pics^) or on the side that always faces down when laid flat on a surface, I even tried scratching it lightly myself in 2 different parts and nothing, I'm rather impressed with it now and should hold up well

Before

After

Before

After

Last edited:

SmileForum

Reaction score
For the more backpack wearing, sw&d crowd theres Haerfest. Same models every year, but in different color ways and fabric choices. I have their black/gold ghost backpack from last season, quality is really good. They mainly use leather, canvas, brass, and excella zippers. Living outside of Europe? Tres-Bien has them. Live in ny, or can drive there? they have a sale in certain locations around the summer.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad