• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

pdsf

Reaction score

Yes, got it shipped over from UK

Thanks! A good choice! It's always a bit scary ordering something like that from overseas!

Sure thing mate...

Hey you, still in portland? or back in chilly atlanta, lol...
Well, its hard to say but tbh the leather feels great, no cheap coating giveaways here, lots of depth, lots of texture, dresden is apparently one of the better and thicker leathers they work with, anyway it just has this matte dull sheen to it and it doesn't scratch easily like regular leathers, I mean not that it couldn't but I've been using it for several weeks now and it hasnt scratched yet, not even a single mark on it, not on the corners, not on the bottom (check pics^) or on the side that always faces down when laid flat on a surface, I even tried scratching it lightly myself in 2 different parts and nothing, I'm rather impressed with it now and should hold up well

Hey you!! Thanks for the great review! Looks like a great bag!

I am no longer in chilly Hotlanta!! I am currently in Eugene, Oregon. Land of the hippies!!! About 1.5-2 hours south of Portland.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey you!! Thanks for the great review! Looks like a great bag!

Well to sum up the review I would say that even though its worked great for me, its really hard to be impartial when you buy something that hits the mark, so I will rate it on a quality to price scale, and I would say its only about a 7/10 at retail

I obviously did not pay retail but rather around half, and at that price point its about a 9/10 considering the scratch resistance of the leather

Last edited:

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have experience with Tusting Buckingham? The bag looks nice, but no photos of the interior or dimensions that I can find?

And here's another eBay find: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-PFEIL-NEW-BURGUNDY-LEATHER-TRIPLE-GUSSET-BRIEFCASE-/140471847885?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item20b4c64bcd

Any thoughts on Golfpfeil? 

Tusting is good solid quality - prices seem to be creeping up but they are robustly made and wear well. Not a massive fan of the pre-antiques hardware. The Kudu suede leather is very good, I'm less keen on some of the waxed leathers but it's personal preference and they are hardy. Overall the leathers won't take on as much character with age as those from some other brands.

Goldpfeil quality is variable - that bag doesn't look bad but would sell for perhaps a third of that if you used it for a month and tried to resell it. I've owned a few pieces and the best quality seems to be items from a decade or two ago.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading all discussion and pictures I feel quite inadequete but here goes:

I am planning to purchase a briefcase-ish carry for grad school/lab AKA college setting. For the past I used Filson 256 until I gave it to my brother; it just suit him better.

Since I am not making enough dough (if at all after basic spending), nor do I feel mature enough to wield all leather bags heres what I ended up with:

Defy Defenders

20oz Waxed canvas with leather trimming, outer pocket. Fits 15" laptop

Tom Bihn Founders briefcase

Ballistic nylon, clamshell opening. Fits 15" laptop (dimension wise they are almost identical)

I may purchase other/ better bags along the way but I hope to use one of these for the next 5-7 years. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

pdsf

Reaction score
^I think the Defy looks better but I reckon the Tom Bihn will last you a while. They both look okay to me but I do wish the Tom Bihn didn't have the logo. Too bad you didn't think Filson would suit - I'd pick it over the other two.

pdsf

Reaction score
Recently came across a new brand - PB 0110 (http://pb0110.de). Love the minimalist approach. Quite refreshing.

[ATTACHMENT=8472][ATTACHMENT=8473]image.jpg (55k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT]

I have only seen them available in the US from Roztayger (http://roztayger.com/shop_by/mens). There are several European stockists.

Last edited:

misterburns

Reaction score
Im looking for a small messenger bag, preferably made of nylon. There is one made by zara which would be perfect except its alittle small, but the overal shape and style is perfect...does anyone know of anything similar? here is a picture of the zara one

6sbe53.jpg

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
I'm having a fit trying to decide on a new duffle. Things I'm looking for:

• Military-ish aesthetic (though I'm willing to give most of this up).
  • Length does not exceed 22" and would prefer closer to 18".
  • Capacity for 2–3-day trip (I pack really lightly).
  • At least somewhat lightweight.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. Black House Project Navy Duffle. I love supporting small businesses, and in particular, the general aesthetic, long-lasting copper rivets, and the potential for a really beautiful patina on those straps. However, don't know where the leather is sourced from and, if something about the bag should falter, will the maker be around 5 years from now to fix it?

2. WM J. Mills Waxed Cotton Duffle. I like the presumed light weight and the internal pocket. Can't tell if the navy will lighten so that it doesn't look black. Don't know anything about the company (WM J. Mills, not Kaufman).

3. Filson Small Duffle in Otter Green (I think everybody reading this will be familiar with this one, so no link). Aesthetically, this hits the mark completely, but it's heavy and sags when it isn't full (I bought one, then returned it). I could buy a nylon webbing strap from them, but I doubt that would make a ton of weight difference. Lifetime guarantee makes it an easy financial investment.

4. Lone Rock Duffle in Goldmine. Much more corporate and no guarantee of repair, but something about it is really aesthetically pleasing to me. It's also really lightweight.

5. Something you recommend...?

Duffles I have tried:

1. Saddleback Leather. Way too heavy of an empty weight, and I disagree with company politics/attitude.

2. Chapman Sten Bag. Really lightweight, perfect size, and great aesthetics, but I couldn't get over the odor (I've had many waxed cotton/canvas bags that didn't smell like this one), and the closures came loose on their own.

3. Collected Works Co Military Backpack Duffle. Aesthetically pleasing, supports a small business, and fascinating design, but really uncomfortable carry and won't work for more than an overnight trip, even with my bare bones packing.

Any thoughts on the above or something I've overlooked? If only I could get my hands on a bunch of military deadstock, Horween leather, quit my job, and learn how to sew, maybe I could finally end this search. Thanks for indulging my obsession with finding "the one" duffle.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
^ Killspencer!!! http://killspencer.com

Thanks for the links and reviews! The Black House Project stuff look interesting.
Thanks. I like those Killspencer Overnight Duffles. I'm not sure about veg-tanned leather, though, as I sometimes throw bags onto the back of my motorcycle for camping. I should've mentioned this above. I appreciate the input.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
Well...veg tanned leather can be made more water resistant, but typically the only way to do that is by using a product that will darken it significantly. I guess it's inherently somewhat water resistant, but can't hold a candle to something like waxed canvas/cotton. Chrome tanning will produce the most water resistant leather. My Aero jacket I ride in, for instance, is chrome tanned, and it shucks water pretty good.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Black House Project deal.

pdsf

Reaction score
Oh I see. Makes sense.

I like the BHP stuff! And like you, I am all for supporting local/small businesses. Post review. :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffee_and_vodka