• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mismo has always been priced considerably high.

Price has increased considerably though I bought duffle for 50% off at studio homme in fall 2011 I believe and price was $200 or so I believe. Duffles are 6-700 at least now

ErikW

Reaction score
I'm hoping I could get a few brand/model recommendations. I currently have a Tumi briefcase/messenger type bag (similar to this one: http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18032766&prodFindSrc=paramNav) that I've had for the past 5-6 years and it's looking a bit worse for wear. I'm looking to pick up a new bag for <$1000.

Requirements:
  • Needs to be able to hold a 15" laptop
  • Would like at least two compartments (need to store a charger)
  • Would like a separate compartment for pens/misc.
  • Preferably leather or a combination of leather and heavy canvas/nylon
  • Preferably some shade of dark brown or a slightly darker color
  • Must have a shoulder strap
  • Must be able to take a bit of a beating - I travel a lot
  • Would prefer if it is not excessively heavy
  • I like a more classic/traditional style rather than trendy

It doesn't need to be huge - the most I carry in my bag is a few books and my laptop. Current bag is probably 6-7" wide and that's more than plenty.

I was looking at the bags by Saddleback and they look nice, but I keep hearing that they're super heavy. That would be a deal breaker.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

fazalmajid

Reaction score
I'm hoping I could get a few brand/model recommendations. I currently have a Tumi briefcase/messenger type bag (similar to this one: http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18032766&prodFindSrc=paramNav) that I've had for the past 5-6 years and it's looking a bit worse for wear. I'm looking to pick up a new bag for <$1000.

I was looking at the bags by Saddleback and they look nice, but I keep hearing that they're super heavy. That would be a deal breaker.

I got a Ghurka Satchel No. 17 for about that price on Black Friday's sale. It's a great bag:
http://www.ghurka.com/satchel-leather-laptop-bag-chestnut

But for that price, if you can afford to wait, I would get one custom-made by Myron Glazer like this one:
http://glaserdesigns.com/Pages/Briefcases/DayBags/DayBagsPDA4DB.html

Exdeath

Reaction score
Quote:
I'd like to know about this as well. They say they have pretty awesome leather but it looks a little bit too plasticky glossy to me - maybe that's just the pictures, though. And I emailed them a while back and they're fine with making their bags without that 'trendy' font logo too, thankfully.

pdsf

Reaction score

pdsf

Reaction score

Quote:
I'd like to know about this as well. They say they have pretty awesome leather but it looks a little bit too plasticky glossy to me - maybe that's just the pictures, though. And I emailed them a while back and they're fine with making their bags without that 'trendy' font logo too, thankfully.
No experience with the brand but the styling is a bit argh. :)

Ennius

Reaction score
The Myron Glazer stuff looks very nice.

How long is the wait? I assume they never go on sale?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Myron Glazer stuff looks very nice.

How long is the wait?  I assume they never go on sale?

I have a couple of Glasers, they are phenomenal bags, and great people to deal with. They are pretty much all MTO hence no, there is never a sale.

I think if the workshop is quiet Myron and the team will run up a couple of classic models to have in stock; wait times may vary depending on what you want, at times it's been a number of months.

Really, the best thing to do is give them a call - they are very generous with their time and will give you the most accurate answer. They will also listen very carefully to your needs and recommend the best bag (with customisation if necessary) for you.

ErikW

Reaction score
I have a couple of Glasers, they are phenomenal bags, and great people to deal with. They are pretty much all MTO hence no, there is never a sale.

I think if the workshop is quiet Myron and the team will run up a couple of classic models to have in stock; wait times may vary depending on what you want, at times it's been a number of months.

Really, the best thing to do is give them a call - they are very generous with their time and will give you the most accurate answer. They will also listen very carefully to your needs and recommend the best bag (with customisation if necessary) for you.

Get a Glaser briefcase. You will have a nice bag and a wonderful buying experience.

Awesome - I'll take a look. One other brand that I've been looking at - do you guys have any experience with Frank Clegg? His bags look very nice.

Exdeath

Reaction score
Quote:
Most of them don't really do it for me. I just kind of like the doctor's bags since they're at least a little bit unique (and the doctor bag briefcase is kinda cool, despite the lack of shoulder strap). Has anyone here had much experience with Mitchell Leather? I'm really craving one of their Horween briefcases.

pdsf

Reaction score

Awesome - I'll take a look. One other brand that I've been looking at - do you guys have any experience with Frank Clegg? His bags look very nice.

I agree, Clegg's bags do look very nice. I am guessing his quality shouldn't be bad, either. However.....I have communicated with him.....sigh, I felt like he didn't actually value or want my business. Myron Glaser definitely provides a much better purchasing experience. Don't let my experience stop you from looking into Clegg's bags, and I hope you have a much better/smoother experience. I have to say, because of my experience, I have lost interest in the brand.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
Has anyone here had much experience with Mitchell Leather? I'm really craving one of their Horween briefcases.

FYI Glaser also uses Horween leather, but he does additional hanbd-staining and trims it to the desired level of thickness, something few bag makers do. I had approached him about making a bag for me in shell cordovan but he convinced me the material is not suitable for bags (because it is a membrane, not real leather, I forget the exact details). I can vouch for his and Kari's generosity with their time, I probably spent 2 hours that time in their San Francisco factory.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8