• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

iamsam

Reaction score
My solution: Buy a cheap shirt and get it tailored!

You can easily find a decent shirt for $25 whether its through a sale, ebay, etc. Just make sure the shirt is the correct neck size and a little long in the sleeves (altering seems to have taken a half inch or so out of the sleeve length). Then take it to the tailor and tell them what you want (taken in on the sides, higher armholes, slimmer sleeves, less fabric in the back, etc) and they should be able to do it for you. I had this done in philly for $25!

So after paying $20 for a big billowy shirt that was on sale, after another $25 i have a perfectly fitting shirt that I love. To me this process is much better than buying an $40 CT slim fit shirt that doesn't even fit that well and much better than paying $100+ for MTM.

One thing to consider, my tailor says its much easier for her if I get pleatless shirts because she doesn't have to work around or remove the pleat. She was able to 'remove' the center pleat on my shirt by sewing the pleat closed, and although this looks a little odd with two seams running down my back, who is ever looking that closely at your back anyways?

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely considered this, but I have no idea how to fix the lack of the "V" in the neck. With one button open it still looks like the top button is almost buttoned and gives a very stuffy look.

I wonder if there's any way to fix this?

Not really. You should have taken a neck size that fits and sized down the chest / arms at your tailor.

lektrix

Reaction score

Banana Republic slim-fit shirts are a staple in my wardrobe. I always have about five on hand -- mostly white, but they come in several colors and patterns. At only $60 each, I can pit them out or otherwise destroy them and just keep buying more. They have sales all the time -- often 40% off. Compared to other mall brands, I think BR is the best quality. For higher quality slim-fit shirts, Prada always fits me perfectly in a 15.5/39. I love their super fine poplin, too. I'm 6 foot, 39ish chest, and 15ish neck.
I have similar measurements to you but I find that BR slim fits are still too baggy...ZARA on the other hand fits much better

[__G__]

Reaction score

I have tried to find a budget friendly slim fitting shirt for the past year or so and have gone through several brands. I'm 6'2 175-180lbs, so I'm tall and slim but not scrawny. I wear a 15.5/34 shirt. I'm a professional, so I need a look that say's "My clothes fit perfectly" not "Hey look! I fit into this really tight shirt, aren't I cool?" I have a couple of prerequisites when it comes to my shirts:

1. Must have exact measurements. No S,M,L,XL! I will only entertain shirts that have neck sizes and sleeve lengths. I'm not a too concerned with exact sleeve lengths, although they are preferred.

2. Must be 100% cotton. I have very few 60/40 blends, and they are usually hold overs from before I knew better.

3. Needs to be under $50 preferably.

The shirts I have found that fit this discription have been Calvin Klein Slim Fit, RLBL Custom Fit. The RL is my favorite. Decent quality shirt, holds up well, and if I damage it somehow it's no big deal to replace it. I don't imagine I would feel this way about my Turbull and Asser shirt getting red wine on it.

In my search I also found that I was buying the wrong neck size in my shirts. I didn't really ever notice this because I never had a large gap around my neck, but when I sized down from a 16.5 to a 15.5 the s shirts fit even better in the body. I never knew there was that large of a difference in the body of a shirt when you adjust the neck size. So, I would advise to try on a smaller size. If you are familiar with a brand then you should know how they shrink up in the laundry. If you know from past experience that your preffered brand doesn't shrink much then get the size that fits you perfectly and don't worry about being able to stick two fingers into the shirt, just make sure its comfortable.
I'm sure I'll be frowned upon for suggesting Dockers, but their fitted dress shirts fit me great. Even better then my Calvin Klein slim fit shirts. I wear the same size as you do, although I'm about 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter, for reference. And I don't care what anyone thinks about Dockers, so save the opinions for someone who does.

Last edited:

LJ1000F

Reaction score
Is there a comprehensive list that has been compiled from this thread of all fairly slim fitted shirts? What would be even more amazing if they were arranged on a gradient from least "slim fitted" to most "slim fitted". I'm just hoping to use this resource as best possible instead of potentially going page by page. Thanks for the help.

lukelukeluke

Reaction score
My $0.01:*

A couple of months ago I ordered two Nieman Marcus Trim Fit dress shirts off one their eBay Last Call sales. Both are made in China and the quality is surely a cut or two below what a lot of people on here would deign to put on. But: they fit really, really well. Not perfectly, I'm sure, but miles better than any other dress shirts I've ever owned except one I got MTM in Pakistan the last time I was there. And they cost $36.75.

I'm not rich, clothes are not a full-time hobby, dressing well is not a requirement of my job and no further trips to Pakistan are in the offing, so at the moment MTM is out. The fit thing far outweighs questions of cotton quality or stitching quality or whether they have MOP buttons. Most of the patterns are gross but they have some plain blues and whites and I got a nice check and a kind-of nice (lol) pinwheel out of my first order. But the fabric is fine, the stitching is fine and I think I can survive without the cool kiss of MOP buttons. I tried on a BB ESF last night and, as people on here have warned, you could have made a couple of nice dinner napkins from the fabric poofing out above my waist. So helloooo, NM Trim Fit! Gonna get me a couple more.

For the record, I'm 5-11, 170, 39" chest and 31" waist. If anyone is interested I can take and post fit pics with the shirts.

*My opinions in here aren't worth $0.02 yet, I don't think.

EDIT: The shirts I ordered were my normal size, 15.5 32/33.

Last edited:

redlee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaunHWright
I just went to ShirtsMyWay.com and designed my own
smile.gif

It took about 6-7 tries to get it right but I have perfected a slim fit shirt that works for me
laugh.gif

You were happy with the general quality of the shirts I take it? How are the buttons in particular? Have you tried any other online MTM that you can compare with?

First post here.

I haven't tried ShirtsMyWay, but I tried another online MTM site recently: www.joebutton.com - I ordered two shirts, one in a medium slim fit and I entered in my measurements for one of my existing shirts for the other. Their slim fit was quite good, slimmer than most, but my second shirt was bang on the money - exact replica of my favorite shirt!

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My $0.01:*
A couple of months ago I ordered two Nieman Marcus Trim Fit dress shirts off one their eBay Last Call sales. Both are made in China and the quality is surely a cut or two below what a lot of people on here would deign to put on. But: they fit really, really well. Not perfectly, I'm sure, but miles better than any other dress shirts I've ever owned except one I got MTM in Pakistan the last time I was there. And they cost $36.75.

Just a thought: since you've established a relationship w/ a shirt maker in Pakistan why don't you continue it? He has your measurements and has done right by you. It's a good price and your best fit, and if his selection of shirting is lacking you can always pick some up and send it to him. Of course if you fatten up or slim down...

lukelukeluke

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the next time I'm there I'll get another shirt from him. I'm just not sure when that will be and in the meantime I have a wardrobe full of shirts I bought before I knew how a shirt should fit.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wolf vs Goat's Before Dinner cut is a fantastic slim fit, but at $165 average, they aren't the cheapest.

Midnight

Reaction score

Hi there. I really need an answer on this question. How is the fitting on the arms if you compare BB extra slim fit and CT tailored fit? Would appreciate some help on this on.

Not sure what you mean by "fitting", but but for CT Tailored Fit shirts the width of the sleeve at the elbow is around 7 inches for the smallest shirts (14.5 inch neck) and around
8.5 inches for the largest shirts (18 inch neck). I don't have any information on BB shirts.

Diversification

Reaction score
So I see Hugo Boss Black Label mentioned quite a bit when shirts are being discussed. Here's my question: does black label necessarily mean slim fit? In other words, if I go on ebay and find a Hugo Boss Black shirt, does that imply that it is slim fit or is it like a lot of other brands where they have a regular fit and a slim fit (and a trim fit in Hugo Bosses case?)

I don't see many of the ebay shirts listed as slim fit in the descriptions which is why I'm a bit nervous to pull the trigger on any of them.

EDIT: Well it appears I just answered my own question. I just swung on by the nordstrom page and discovered that there are apparently 4 different fits within the Hugo Black line: Regular Fit, Sharp Fit, Trim Fit and Slim Fit. Nowhere to I see a comparison or description of these different fits. I'm not daring enough to chance it unfortunately. Looks like Hugo Boss is out of the running.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/mens-dress-shirts?brand=320

Last edited:

chet31

Reaction score

Would it be a sin to try Lands End Tailored fit? I'm in search of the budget dress shirt. I can accept the fit of the LEC shirts but their collars are way too flimsy for my liking.

No, not a sin, slim people cannot be brand whores. If we find something that fits, we basically have no choice but to go for it whether it's from KMart or Barney's.

There are different levels of slimness, of course. I don't consider myself that slim, I can hit a golf ball a mile, but I apparently fall into the emaciated class of slimness. Lands' End tailored shirts are at least 4 inches too wide for me in the waist (which is about average, I would say, for most brands of slim-fitting shirts on me). However, they have nice fabrics, colors, and patterns, have some great blow-out sales, and I can take in my own shirts, so I sometimes grab a few.

The best overall fit OTR for me is Express slim fit or Calvin Klein Extreme Slim Fit. The Express shirt is especially advantageous if you need lime green or fuschia, haha. Unfortunately, the Express shirt is also one of the cheapest feeling shirts I have ever worn or even tried on.

utexas2010

Reaction score
Quick Question: I am 5'11, 160 pounds with extremely long arms. A few weeks back I went into Charles Trywhitt in Manhattan and got measured and the lady basically laughed and said they don't make shirts in my proportions (I think my arms were a 36 length and I am a 15 1/2 neck). Is MTM my only option or would buying a bigger size slim fit and getting it tailored work.....one day long ago my arms were an asset on the bball court now they are haunting me with my dress clothes shopping :embar: thanks!

Last edited:

loreley

Reaction score

Quick Question: I am 5'11, 160 pounds with extremely long arms. A few weeks back I went into Charles Trywhitt in Manhattan and got measured and the lady basically laughed and said they don't make shirts in my proportions (I think my arms were a 36 length and I am a 15 1/2 neck). Is MTM my only option or would buying a bigger size slim fit and getting it tailored work.....one day long ago my long arms were an asset on the bball court now they are haunting me with my dress clothes shopping :embar: thanks!

A tailor is your best friend. Get the neck, shoulder and arm length good, and everything is taking in at sides and darting.

MTM is probably your best bet, however, when you consider consistency of sizing and fit available. Not to mention it fits right out of the box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads