1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I know the reference, which is why it rubs me the wrong way. Unless you think the GQ piece has equivalent emotional impact, I suppose. What I'm saying, noob, is that - as with everything GQ produces - the content is lacking, the tone of their entire corpus is pedantic and condescending, and the article follows the same bland, uninteresting formula they always use. For the most part, what SF users have produced is, in my opinion, superior (the Geller bit was fine). I don't like the image they peddle. Sadly, I can't go back and find quotes because the page won't work for me. No, I don't like GQ and their lists of hottest women and best breasts and coolest fedoras.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    3 people like this.
  2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

+1
    back with well-written interesting stuff with nice pictures you've taken yourself

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

The welcoming arms of SWD once again.....sorry for sharing something that seemed of relevance.

Blatant disagreement is fine, I don't see the need to aggressive lanauge, but that's just me, I try not to swear at people I think are making mistakes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. Synthese

A sentiment directed at GQ, not you. Feel free to share what you like.

5. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Nice. I just got the deploy anorak (a grail of mine) and some trousers from a previous season. I love Veilance for its minimal, functional approach. Everything I've owned from the line has been a 'keeper'.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

m

7. slstr

slstr Senior member

He says, writing in internet shorthand and contributing nothing.

1 person likes this.
  8. kindofyoung

If it is such an offense just stating one's opinion, why did you bother quoting it and thus adding yet another post that contributes nothing? :/

9. slstr

slstr Senior member

Because I wanted the highlight the irony in your comment, which needed a post, your post, on the other hand, could have been replaced by a simple thumbs up. Anyway, lets not clog up this thread with an internet argument, will try and post some pics/writing about a few pieces soon!

10. kindofyoung

I agree, and will try and do the same soon :)

11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I am very much enjoying the Kolhapuri chappals that my gf brought back from india 12 months ago. I will try to take photos later.

also, today was the first time someone took my request for new underwear for my birthday seriously. I know I said that I prefer we talk about "worn in" clothing, but old undies is where I draw the line.

12. Synthese

This will probably be a two-parter. For now, I have some well-traveled shoes to share.

I've come to realize that I really like footwear that's not made out of "traditional" leather. I know suede boots aren't uncommon, but it really does make these boots stand out. They're a pair of the Robert Geller x Common Projects collaboration from who knows when, and they popped up on good ol' Yoox. I remember really wanting the black version when they came out (especially because of the spats, which this pair sadly doesn't have), but the color looked interesting and alluring, and I generally avoid buying black when I can. These are a surprisingly lustrous leaded grey, and I find that it gives them a softer, worn appearance than you might get with a black boot. They have barely any nap, but they're still obviously suede, and they've really molded to my feet and broken in wonderfully as they've aged. They have a slim vibram sole on them, and they've taken me through frozen moors, wet hikes, and snowstorms - and, as of last night, a 2AM sledding adventure - without complaint. I've never treated them, but somehow they manage to keep my feet dry all the same. They don't have high-end construction, no old-world welts, no crazy leather treatments or artisanal aging processes, but they're sleek and beautiful.

[​IMG]

I currently own three pairs of Maison Martin Margiela sidezips that I wear regularly, but these ones have become my go-to pair. They're canvas, and again, it really adds something special to the character. They're crumpled and faded in spots, but I still feel happy wearing them with everything from jeans and a tee to trousers and a jacket. They're comfortable, and they take up no space at all in a suitcase, which means that they've been with me all over the place - beaches, cobblestones, castles, grassy hills, dance parties - and since that's usually how I measure the worth of my belongings, I count these among my essentials. They've got a great shape, and look equally good with tapered denim or with looser, layabout bottoms. These are the boots you're wearing when people come up to compliment you on your boots. They're just really, really cool. I love the exposed stitching and the slightly blunted toe, but I actually think my favorite detail might be the black zipper. When you're wearing jeans, the inseam sort of lines of with the boot zip and makes this long, continuous curved line down from the back of your calf that I think looks really, really slick.

[​IMG]

I love, love, love vans. But I destroy them in a matter of months. These CP knock-offs - another fortuitous Yoox find - have already outlived the equivalent of three pairs of their canvas ancestors, and they're practically bulletproof. I'm not saying they totally replace a good pair of Authentics (because what can?), but they're really impressively put together. They're a good summer shoe, and look good with shorts, but they're also a wonderful hang-out pair of kicks, happy with tees, leather jackets, and worn-out jeans. Going to the supermarket? I put these on. Coffee in the morning? Put these on. Walking the dog? Generally, it's nice to feel that I don't need another white leather sneaker, that that base is well and truly covered. They are supremely comforting - and comfortable, mostly due to the fact that I actually bought the proper size for the first time.

[​IMG]

What's nice about all of this is going through what I own and remembering, or re-realizing, all the really great stuff that I have managed - almost through blind luck, I think - to accumulate. Shoes sort of exist within a similar emotional sphere (for me) as denim: I look at all the creases and frayed bits and worn-down heels and think back on all the really kick-ass miles I've walked in all of them. That's a good feeling.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    28 people like this.
  13. kindofyoung

what brand are the side-zips?
    nice post

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Didn't love it enough to read it thoroughly. They are Margiela.

1 person likes this.
  15. yipjam

yipjam Senior member

I need a pair of those Geller x CPs :nodding:

16. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Semi-cosspost from the shoe thread

These boots have taken me all across Asia in the past 2 1/2 years. Lightweight yet durable, I can roll them in a ball and stuff them in the outside of my backpack and they come out looking fine. I've worn them in a monsoon in India wearing a shirt and trousers and trekking through jungles wearing shorts and a tank-top - they survived both and looked good in the process. I don't believe in babying expensive purchases - clothes are meant to be worn, and I think these look better for the fact. They're due for a resoling and a couple minor repairs but they're holding up beautifully.

[​IMG]

*warning, lots of boring pictures of me standing in front of things*

edit: you'll also see most of the summer shots are in uni-qlo dry color shirts, I think I have three that I only wear on vacation. It's amazing how many travel pictures that purple one seems to pop up in

Japan
    [​IMG]

Korea
    [​IMG]

Taiwan
    [​IMG]

India
    [​IMG]

Vietnam - pre-rain, you can still see original gold color
    [​IMG]

The rain that washed the color out, completely black after this
    [​IMG]

Cambodia
    [​IMG]

Singapore
    [​IMG]

Malaysia
    [​IMG]

Macau
    [​IMG]

Hong Kong
    [​IMG]

Laos
    [​IMG]

...and last week, again in Laos. Still looking good
    [​IMG]

22 people like this.
  17. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

18. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Yeah Guidi lambskin boots from a bit ago.

In kind of the same spirit of this thread, I've decided to quit my job and move to Tokyo by the end of this year, so I'm in the process of unloading a good portion of my wardrobe on Yahoo Auctions. After three years of accumulating, it's quite a liberating feeling to pare down my wardrobe to the absolute essentials knowing that if I find myself naked one morning with nothing to wear, there's always Uni-Qlo to keep me warm. I find myself enjoying too many clothes in my closet as objects, but not wearing them out of the house. It's a bit sad letting go of Rick leathers and Poell shoes, but my puffy white Patagonia fleece that makes me look like a lost polar bear still seems a bit more important for how I live.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

this on so many levels

1 person likes this.
  20. click here

click here Senior member

Stop posting photos of yourself you narcissist!