• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The commercial turn of The Rake

Knurt

Reaction score
Reading through the latest issue of The Rake, I was sad to see the complete turn to commersialism. I have previously enjoyed parts of the magazine, in particular portraits and interviews with cloth and shoe manufacturers. I find less of these now. What I find is a lot of editorial content that tell me I should buy stuff from The Rake’s shop. If I am not incorrect there is a section giving «investment advice» about stuff for sale in the shop. Such a magazine has no value for me. No doubt these writers know a thing or two about clothes, but how can they think we will trust their advice as free from commercial taint? My subscription will not be renewed. But I am curious the hear what other people think.

notdos

Reaction score
I use it more as a catalog or look book. The articles were secondary for me.

Phillip :)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a free subscription, so can't comment. But I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

bantone

Reaction score
I noticed a subscription of it has doubled in price. Damn.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Their shipping costs alone of £17.50 put me off
even though I am based in the UK and they are now shipping from London
When they were shipping from Italy the price did not include VAT or Custom duties so an additional burden to pay, now Apposta MTM shirts from Italy we’re doing the same but you only had to pay a reasonable shipping charge and you were not subjected to any Customs charges something I could not get my head around with The Rake

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their shipping costs alone of £17.50 put me off
even though I am based in the UK and they are now shipping from London
When they were shipping from Italy the price did not include VAT or Custom duties so an additional burden to pay, now Apposta MTM shirts from Italy we’re doing the same but you only had to pay a reasonable shipping charge and you were not subjected to any Custons charges something I could not get my head around with The Rake

Are you pro or anti-Brexit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads