• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The commercial turn of The Rake

Knurt

Reaction score
Reading through the latest issue of The Rake, I was sad to see the complete turn to commersialism. I have previously enjoyed parts of the magazine, in particular portraits and interviews with cloth and shoe manufacturers. I find less of these now. What I find is a lot of editorial content that tell me I should buy stuff from The Rake’s shop. If I am not incorrect there is a section giving «investment advice» about stuff for sale in the shop. Such a magazine has no value for me. No doubt these writers know a thing or two about clothes, but how can they think we will trust their advice as free from commercial taint? My subscription will not be renewed. But I am curious the hear what other people think.

notdos

Reaction score
I use it more as a catalog or look book. The articles were secondary for me.

Phillip :)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a free subscription, so can't comment. But I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 111 33.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%