• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, Sky Valet. I visited the shop a few times while in DC and got the cold shoulder each time.

My last visit was particularly memorable. I went to the shop straight from work, decked out, if I remember correctly, in a new Formosa suit and Vass shoes. I asked if I could try on a pair of Alden? G&G? Something.

The owner’s response was ‘they are very expensive, you know...’

‘Fine with me if they fit well’

‘Will you buy them?’

‘How can I possibly know until I try them on?’

‘Well I don’t want to spend time fitting you if you’re just going to buy them elsewhere’, he replied.

At which point I left.
Wow. Just wow. Brings to mind what @LAGuy said about self immolating comments.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@am55... Of course there is a lot of truth in what you say, especially about the 'adaptative mechanism' who BTW led Japan to Imperialism and war.
And yes the traditions are really strong and the old families still have some power...
Still for the Japanese John Doe (Mr Tanaka) the American consumerist way of Life became part of the Japanese way of life... Anyway this is my personal experience that included living inside a Japanese middle class family.

Now yes they adapt : they have Moss burger (and we French, we have Big Fernand ! and in both cases the burgers are Delicious and include traditional local food - a kind of global resistance ?)
Now to be back on tracks, an illustration of the Japanese adaptative mecanism is Uniqlo, that seems to be the more powerful High street shop that was created for a while...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@am55... Of course their is a lot of truth in what you say, especially about the 'adaptative mechanism' who BTW led Japan to Imperialism and war.
And yes the traditions are really strong and the old families still have some power...
Still for the Japanese John Doe (Mr Tanaka) the American consumerist way of Life became part of the Japanese way of life... Anyway this is my personal experience that included living inside a Japanese middle class family.

Now yes they adapt : they have Moss burger (and we French, we have Big Fernand ! and in both cases the burgers are Delicious and include traditional local food - a kind of global resistance ?)
Now to be back on tracks, an illustration of the Japanese adaptative mecanism is Uniqlo, that seems to be the more powerful High street shop that was created for a while...
Well actually I have the perfect example: Tanguy. The relationship between the son and his family, and then the Asian POV, is a great illustration of a way in which the Asian cultures have not (yet) been influenced. Conversely the American propensity for moving away (to a large extent, compared to immigrants) from your parents is used aggressively in zoning to stop certain groups from moving in. That movie really shocks Asians when I explain that the French parents are supposed to be "normal".

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@am55... Of course there is a lot of truth in what you say, especially about the 'adaptative mechanism' who BTW led Japan to Imperialism and war.

mos burger is amazing especially the rice burgers. but this brings to mind cultural resistance vs cultural dilution. some cultures are very good at absorbing other cultures. and these same cultures are also equally resistant at being taken over.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh, Sky Valet. I visited the shop a few times while in DC and got the cold shoulder each time.

My last visit was particularly memorable. I went to the shop straight from work, decked out, if I remember correctly, in a new Formosa suit and Vass shoes. I asked if I could try on a pair of Alden? G&G? Something.

The owner’s response was ‘they are very expensive, you know...’

‘Fine with me if they fit well’

‘Will you buy them?’

‘How can I possibly know until I try them on?’

‘Well I don’t want to spend time fitting you if you’re just going to buy them elsewhere’, he replied.

At which point I left.
Wow, that is harsh. Never seen a bad pic of you and they must be haughty beyond measure. Now I need to visit and take their measure. I live a few miles away and am always up for a fight with a salesperson.

Wankers.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
American culture influence every one post WW II, just different level.

Japanese culture is very absorbing, it has no issue adapt whoever is the top dog at the time, if 1000 years ago China is the best then learn from China, during meijian restoration they have no issue abandon “Chinese/lunar calendar” new year and just switch to Western’s new year. Post WW 2 it definitely realize American beat it and has no issue adapt what may come.

Not saying Japanese doesn’t have a cultural identity, it does, and a very strong one given the level of homogeniousity, it’s just much more “adapted” at changing then say Chinese

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of crazy. I just asked @lordsuperb if he’d been to Sky Valet and a quite unpredicted conversation stream occurred. Best of the Net I guess. A frank and honest chat. Now I definitely have to visit this place and see how I measure up. If you look up White Priviledge in the encyclopedia there is usually a pic of me smiling vacuously and giving a clueless thumbs up.

Next weekend...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
speaking of random shoe trying talk, Moulded shoe (the only one that sells Alden modified last in the US as far as I know) had a bit funny thing going on in the past as well.

I remember trying on one shoe (some rare plaza one of made up), and they want to know immediately if I want to buy it or not and says I can't walk in it. Though looking back my guess is some of its customer can be uber picky about sole scratching/leather creasing...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
by the way I wonder why does retailer really bother to carry CJ in the US in any meaningful quantity, anyone can google for 10 minutes and find out shipping from anywhere else save them like $100 at least...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
by the way I wonder why does retailer really bother to carry CJ in the US in any meaningful quantity, anyone can google for 10 minutes and find out shipping from anywhere else save them like $100 at least...
I prefer to try on shoes at a store. I hate playing the endless return game. I want to test many pairs and buy the one that fits perfectly. Much better in person than through the mail.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, but I thought the reality is the store end up being a massive try on, and 80% of the try on guys just try on then buy from oversea (think when Epaulet carry Vass and Carmina), can't imagine I as a retailer want to be in that situation

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brands don't always tell us that they plan on undercutting their retailers in the near future...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why let it affect your purchase? Unless he's actively stopping you from buying the thing, refusing to process it (and you'd have legal recourse then, I believe, in the US, especially if a minority) then just ignore the commentary and buy what you need.

I remember a trip to LA ruined by the student part timer working the reception (think Finch in American Pie). The hotel was in Beverly Hills, and for some reason he decided on sight he needed a $450 cash deposit ($700 in today's money) before letting me stay the one night I had booked. He also sent me a minibar check guy three times right after I had gone up - coincidentally a massive Polynesian guy who looked very threatening but was actually quite chilled and thought the whole thing was ridiculous. The cafe round the corner was much more welcoming and made up for it to some extent.

Today I'd just shrug it and get on with my day (maybe speak to the manager to make sure the $450 is tracked). Maybe the SkyValet guy had a bad day, maybe he saw Pretty Woman once too many times and thinks that challenging customers' egos makes them emotional and more likely to pay full price, maybe he has mental issues, I don't know, but it's not my problem. Like scam teams in the streets, if the sales people move you onto emotional ground they win. Ultimately the goods are there, you can try them, and buy them, and it'd be a shame to miss out on stuff you like for the sake of remarks which are gone the second after they're said.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The brands don't always tell us that they plan on undercutting their retailers in the near future...

I think Vass stop offer direct other than existing customer, and given Vass is not great doing direct (vs. say CJ is at least decently at doing it), I would say US retailer for Vass is a bit safer.

Not saying Vass is under cutting you guys or not (I just have no idea), but back in the Epaulet days (2009?), you could definitely get it cheaper direct, and more model for that matter

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why let it affect your purchase? Unless he's actively stopping you from buying the thing, refusing to process it (and you'd have legal recourse then, I believe, in the US, especially if a minority) then just ignore the commentary and buy what you need.

I remember a trip to LA ruined by the student part timer working the reception (think Finch in American Pie). The hotel was in Beverly Hills, and for some reason he decided on sight he needed a $450 cash deposit ($700 in today's money) before letting me stay the one night I had booked. He also sent me a minibar check guy three times right after I had gone up - coincidentally a massive Polynesian guy who looked very threatening but was actually quite chilled and thought the whole thing was ridiculous. The cafe round the corner was much more welcoming and made up for it to some extent.

Today I'd just shrug it and get on with my day (maybe speak to the manager to make sure the $450 is tracked). Maybe the SkyValet guy had a bad day, maybe he saw Pretty Woman once too many times and thinks that challenging customers' egos makes them emotional and more likely to pay full price, maybe he has mental issues, I don't know, but it's not my problem. Like scam teams in the streets, if the sales people move you onto emotional ground they win. Ultimately the goods are there, you can try them, and buy them, and it'd be a shame to miss out on stuff you like for the sake of remarks which are gone the second after they're said.

I think most people think "for the same money I'll get elsewhere" mentality, and given it's free shipping on everything, it's one click away...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom