• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cape.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wvillager
How would lining stay mated together with a large cape? Unless there are seams, quilting, glue, or _____ the lining would sag below
I have a couple of old opera cloaks, they have a lining but it doesn't seem to be attached anywhere except the edges, but it hangs fine. I don't have them here with me, so I can't look at it more closely.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artigas
Something that hangs gracefully would be important, I think. With a visually impressive lining.

A deep purple damask might be nice or gold.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
You should go for it, and if you do take pictures,
Something water proof, I would think a tweed, or maybe a heavy cotton of the sort rain coats are made of, if you are after something practical.

Originally Posted by Artigas
Something that hangs gracefully would be important, I think. With a visually impressive lining.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Many military capes have a red or crimson lining. They are usually of a rather dense, dark felt-like wool.

I was thinking of either a tweed (similar to the one in the original post) or a dark gray felt, more military style. I have an overcoat that is cut like a trench but made of dark wool felt and sports a bright red satin lining that makes me look slightly like a German field marshal in the best possible way. I can't decide if having the coat makes me more or less likely to want a cape that would have a very similar aesthetic.

I think I'd go with a crimson lining if I went with heavy dark wool felt and possibly black satin if I went for a more monochrome tweed. I'd also be tempted by a dark purple lining, but I wouldn't want people to think my cape was feminine and think I was weird now would I?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Wvillager
How would lining stay mated together with a large cape? Unless there are seams, quilting, glue, or _____ the lining would sag below

I hadn't really thought of this much. I have some blankets that my mom made that the lining stays together well enough. I'm not thinking a huge cape, so I'm hoping that the edges, few seems and general drape will keep it close enough together. If it doesn't appear to be doing so, I'll probably try a hem like seem on the inside. My real construction worry is that my little Singer Simple sewing maching might not like this thick of fabric, but that depends if I decide to just use two layers, or use three if my outer layer is thinner (because I was unable to find a suitably thick outer fabric).

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
I'm considering practicing my rudimentary sewing skills by attempting to make a cape similar to the one in the first post.

What would be people's fabric choices?

I looked into this once. There are some free patterns/plans online.

I would get a thick thick boiled wool. Actually I would try with an old bedsheet first, and then if it worked try again with wool you pay for.

Here's a pattern. Don't put a **** hood on it. Making a nice collar would be the hardest part probably.

http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Alde...f/Cloak02.html

http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Alde...f/Cloak03.html

There are forums, sorta like SF, but for the Scottish-Highlander Games type people. Some of them make or alter their own clothes, and some of them make capes (even Inverness). Apparently if you're standing in a cold rain wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes at a funeral, you're allowed to wear a cape.

Please ignore the Renn-Faire guy:
http://www.amtgard-wl.com/library/howtos/how2clok.pdf

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a nice lining is important, but I would shy away from something really bright or conspicuous cos-

1) The lining will be very visible, more so than in a coat or jacket
2) You are already wearing a cape, you may not want to be more noticeable

I really don't think the lining sagging would be too big of a problem so long as it was the right size and "fitted" in the outer part of the cape well, but if it was a couple of lines of stitching coming down from the collar, maybe not even all the way down would surely take care of it.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ~ B ~
What about the traditional chang pao (long gown)?

That is pretty cool, but it is not a cape, I can see how it could perform many of the same functions (goes over the top of everything else, keeps you warm/dry) but its not a cape

coverto

Reaction score
I met Tom Wolfe the other day and he was sporting a black three-quarter length cape that left me wondering desperately about the luminous suit it was no doubt concealing. I asked myself whether he was evoking "Tom Wolfe the Conjurer" or "Tom Wolfe the Impaler." In any case, folks were remarking upon it, and he seemed very satisfied.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Yes it's not a cape. But it's similar in grandeur and majesty. It is warm enough to wear in subzero weather with nothing under, if made of silk as it had been traditionally for the scholar-gentry of Imperial China. I wore it on the first day of the Spring Festival this year with just trousers under, and it combined the quiet elegance of a ceremonial robe with the comfort of a silk dressing gown. An awe-inspiring garment in all senses.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ~ B ~
Yes it's not a cape. But it's similar in grandeur and majesty. It is warm enough to wear in subzero weather with nothing under, if made of silk as it had been traditionally for the scholar-gentry of Imperial China. I wore it on the first day of the Spring Festival this year with just trousers under, and it combined the quiet elegance of a ceremonial robe with the comfort of a silk dressing gown. An awe-inspiring garment in all senses.

That's as may be, but it's not a cape. No one is disputing teh Chinese made some beautiful things.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elvis wore capes.

He was, however, the King.

elvis11004_468x320.jpg

elvis4.jpg

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
That's as may be, but it's not a cape. No one is disputing teh Chinese made some beautiful things.
Indeed, I am proposing it as an alternative to the cape. Consider it an addition to your sartorial lexicon. And the Chinese make beautiful things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads