• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The art of matching colors and shades

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...they would pair nicely with a variety of spring and summer palettes -- any blues ranging from powder to mid-navy (but not too dark), whites, light greys, tans and light browns, and cream.

I agree with everything above. Personally, though, I think tan shoes look pretty sharp with navy, but I know it's frowned upon generally and is probably also too fashion-forward for a man my age.

Resist the temptation to wear them with khaki shorts and knee-high socks...

I suffer not from that temptation. I would, however, be very tempted to wear those Carminas with jeans. How much trouble might that get me into?

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would, however, be very tempted to wear those Carminas with jeans. How much trouble might that get me into?

Don't get me wrong; I'd be tempted to wear those Carminas with my birthday suit. They're very attractive shoes (and so is my birthday suit, or at least that's what women tell me when they don't want to hurt my feelings).

They seem a little dressy for jeans, to be honest.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I've had a major crush on these Carminas ever since I discovered them a couple of week ago. Trouble is, their tan color makes them tricky to coordinate with other items, so I probably wouldn't wear them enough to justify the expense.

I took a look at the price of this model under the link you've posted. It says the price is HK$3,800.00. What does HK mean?

the_sulks

Reaction score

I have never heard of anyone matching the wooden handle of his umbrella to the color of the leather items. This doesn't sound easy to do, but I don't think it is necessary (or really even desirable).

What is your suggestion? Do you think it is better to choose a black wooden handle instead of brown one if you wear the tan or brown leather shoes/belt/strap/bag?

What about a watch band? Are you having trouble finding a matching one of those also?

Even though the matching problem is the same it doesn't worry me that much since the watch band is quite a minute detail on my body.

the_sulks

Reaction score

They seem a little dressy for jeans, to be honest.

I have to agree on this. They would be perfect for a suit, not jeans. I also believe they'd be especially good if the suit jacket and the trousers are of different color.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive the threadjacking, but I've been having similar concerns so I'm going to elbow my way into this discussion on a tangent.
First of all, if you're going to pick one shade of brown for all your leathers, DON'T pick tan. It's just not versatile enough.
I've had a major crush on these Carminas ever since I discovered them a couple of week ago. Trouble is, their tan color makes them tricky to coordinate with other items, so I probably wouldn't wear them enough to justify the expense.
And now for the threadjacking: Anybody own shoes in this shade of tan, and if so, with what do you usually wear them?
P.S. If you drool on the pic, you have to buy the shoes.
td8c3710.jpg

Those shoes are beautiful. I own a pair of Carminas in exactly the same colour. I don't think coordinating them is tricky at all; just don't wear them with dark suits / trousers. They would look great with seersucker, cream linen, light gray / light blue trousers...

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

The pairing would likely be seen as gauche in an office setting, and you might even get called out on being incorrect (especially by some women, who take great pains to express their favor or disfavor of co-workers' footwear).

What is correct then except for black and brown?

the_sulks

Reaction score

I'm sticking tomy blacks, browns, and burgundy colors for shoes as they are easy to combine with everything in my closet as opposed to tan.

I don't think burgundy is more versatile than tan.

Putonghua73

Reaction score
HK is Hong Kong dollars.

I do love browns and tans for shoes, and would wear them with navy and grey suits. I prefer the more fashion forward look than conservative law / finance form.

The Carminas as sold by the Armoury are beautiful.

All of my shoes - save a pair of burgundy - are black. Couldn't find the styles I wanted in any other colour and needed shoe rotation. From this point forward, I'll be buying dark browns and tans.

I need a navy-pacific suit, and some shirts in solids e.g. whites and textured blues.

It's my casual attire where I need help because aside from my dark brown Nicole Farhi wool trousers, I'm struggling to find any decent men's trouser in London that isn't skinny or tapered, or awful shiny.

I only own one belt (black Hermes - bought by my mother!) and one wallet (dark chocolate brown - bought by ex ex girlfriend in Japan). Once I find the perfect trouser, and a pair of shoes in either dark brown or tan, then I'll buy a belt to match.

I'm conservative with socks: black, dark grey or dark blue. My socks are never lighter than the colours I'm wearing - unless it's clothes wash day (rummage in the back of the sock drawer) or I'm heading to the gym.

Umbrella is black with dark tan handle.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads