• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there some kind of way or app that allows news articles to be downloaded to my phone at certain times of day? For instance I love the News app on iOS but you need to have a data or wifi connection to update and read the articles. Since my subway system here has limited to no data access (for non Verizon users) I would like to have a way to have certain amount downloaded before I get on the train (say at 8am sharp). I know the FT app used to (still?) updates when you open it but articles would be available to read at once.

PS - I have saved articles from the News app but they still don't appear to be readable without a data/web connection.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there some kind of way or app that allows news articles to be downloaded to my phone at certain times of day? For instance I love the News app on iOS but you need to have a data or wifi connection to update and read the articles. Since my subway system here has limited to no data access (for non Verizon users) I would like to have a way to have certain amount downloaded before I get on the train (say at 8am sharp). I know the FT app used to (still?) updates when you open it but articles would be available to read at once.

PS - I have saved articles from the News app but they still don't appear to be readable without a data/web connection.

It'd be app specific. Apple will allow it, but few apps actually do it and Apple itself neglects on some of their own apps.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not that issue. It's just poor battery life overall. Maybe I shouldn't be streaming stock quotes and Bloomberg news on dat lte all day :embar:

If I didn't have a charger at my desk, I'd be fucked.

Are they running in the background? Bloomberg sucks battery like nothing else - even on an iPad Air 2.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are they running in the background? Bloomberg sucks battery like nothing else - even on an iPad Air 2.

I stream the audio in the background and listen to the news all day.

People think I'm listening to music for concentration purposes :p

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh...that's why your battery has no life.

Even listening to on-device audio all day is gonna drain the battery...but streaming it? no way are you getting full day life with that on any device.

scamster

Reaction score
agree, any form of streaming will empty that battery so quick. can't you stream bloomberg news from your desktop?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What they really need to do is release all three models at one time with the same core specs. The smaller one underclocked a little for battery life, at most.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Or just make it a little thicker. Screen is always the biggest battery drain, so it shouldn't need as large a battery as the bigger phones.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What they really need to do is release all three models at one time with the same core specs. The smaller one underclocked a little for battery life, at most.

Yup. Or just make it a little thicker. Screen is always the biggest battery drain, so it shouldn't need as large a battery as the bigger phones.

I agree with you guys on this, but this is Apple we're talking about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics