• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows 7 phone announced today

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
One word replies should be a bannable offense.

I didn't pay much attention to the iPhone craze, partly because of me being here in Korea. Funny how the iPhone is receiving so much attention here now that the gubmint finally let it into this marketplace, much to Samsung's chagrin (they even sent an exec to plead/bribe officials into denying the iPhone's entry at the 11th hour.) But I like what I see on this new phone from Microsoft, and the Xbox feature is pretty cool since I'm a gamer. The scrolling interface is also pretty sweet.

I'll probably end up getting this one instead of the iPhone because I hate Apple and the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Posting from Iphone. Can't type good...

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great move for MS. We now have three competitors in the mobile market, which is great for the consumer. This on HTC hardware will be amazing--I'll drop my iPhone for HTC + Win7 in a heartbeat (and I have a Mac).

Questions:

1. Open platform? Is this closer to Android or iPhone OS?
2. Performance? We know about IE Mobile (not as good as Safari), but what about the OS itself?
3. App development. No one needs 1000+ tip calculators, but what will be available at launch?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Closer to iPhone. Ostensibly, all app downloads will go through a central service (much like the app store) and while MS is allowing plain ol' apps, they're pushing hard for integration with the style and the philosophy of the OS' layout.

2. Software or hardware? Former: there were apparently some hiccups during the presentation but since it's demo software, no one's drawing any conclusions. Latter: running on 1ghz snapdragon processors, with the potential to be much faster at or beyond launch date since MS is not controlling the hardware.

3. Developers have until end of 2010 to build an app suite. I think the dev kit will be made available during MIX (next month), when more app info is announced.

I hope the fact that the phone isn't tied to any particular carrier means you can buy it unlocked, but given the clusterfuck that is US mobile standards, I don't see that idea gaining much traction outside Europe.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I hope the fact that the phone isn't tied to any particular carrier means you can buy it unlocked, but given the clusterfuck that is US mobile standards, I don't see that idea gaining much traction outside Europe.

Yeah, I don't see the point. As you put it, it's a bloody clusterfuck.

CDMA vs GSM and then different frequencies with those technologies so you would have to forgo 3G internet if you take your phone between GSM carriers for example.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I have a Zune and I look forward to competition from Microsoft et. al. against the hegemony of the iPhone. That said...
215547119_n8Q6A-L-2.jpg
537054678_YgPQf-L-2.jpg
434205990_EBoT7-L-2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads