• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Big day today.

At this point, there won't be any big surprises.

My eyes will be on Google Finance during the keynote :laugh:.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the 5C will basically be the iPod Touch with a cell antenna. I always said they should have made the 5 look like the Touch, but now it looks like that's come true. I like it. Will def be upgrading from my 4s and will probably spring for the 5S if it has the rumored 12mp camera.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a new iPhone, iPad, and MacBook this year so will sit out this round of hardware upgrades. I'm eager to see when we'll be getting iOS 7 and Mavericks, though.

I really wish they'd come out with a developer program for the Apple TV, but it doesn't sound like that's in the cards yet.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TUAW has a pretty good live stream of the event:

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/10/september-2013-apple-event-liveblog-the-new-iphone-party/

Highlights so far:

—iOS 7 coming Sept 18
—iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, iMovie) to become free downloads
—iPhone 5C (A6 chip; 5 colors + cases; plastic with "no seams, part lines or joins"; $99 or $199, with contract)
—iPhone 5S (new A7 chip, black, silver, or gold; 64-bit; 2x faster CPU; new motion processor for fitness tracking; improved camera; fingerprint ID; $199–$399, with contract)
—iPhone 4S becomes free with contract.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Solid thread idea. Wish I had seen this before. Reason I bumped the iPhone 5 thread is because we really don't need new product specific threads every time they announce a new iPhone or iPad mode.

Not a fan of the plastic iPhone's colors. White is ok, but the rest are ugly. Curious about what the build quality will be like. Nokia set the bar there with the Lumina series. No one else has even come close with plastic phones, so Apple has a lot to prove here.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apple blew it with the 5C's pricing.

Goddammit!

Yeh still uber expensive, and still within the luxury, Gucci type pricing range. around $800...I wouldn't pay that much for a cellphone.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeh still uber expensive, and still within the luxury, Gucci type pricing range. around $800...I wouldn't pay that much for a cellphone.

What a terrible, terrible move on Apple's part.

I understand they're playing a very fine balancing act between maintaining high margins and gaining marketshare, but the 5C is just way too expensive for the developing markets.

Even if they announce a China Mobile deal tomorrow the 5C is way out of the average Chinese person's price range.

I wonder how well the gold 5S will fare in China.. will droves of Chinese take out high-interest loans to buy the 5S instead of the 5C?

As a shareholder, I sure hope so!

:D

Last edited:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will this thread bring back Tokyo Slim?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else upgrade to iOS 7 yet?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's taking a bit of getting used to. Seems just the slightest bit laggy on my 4S, but i think it's because all the new fades in and out of windows, locking and unlocking, etc.. give it the appearance of being slow. But it is just part of the "experience." Hard to tell at this point. Seems that on my 4S it doesn't have the Airdrop functionality.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's taking a bit of getting used to. Seems just the slightest bit laggy on my 4S, but i think it's because all the new fades in and out of windows, locking and unlocking, etc.. give it the appearance of being slow. But it is just part of the "experience." Hard to tell at this point. Seems that on my 4S it doesn't have the Airdrop functionality.

Regarding the new UI transitions and animations giving iOS7 the appearance of being a little slow/baggy, it's not just on the 4S. You are not the only one to comment on them as It's been mentioned in several reviews. My personal opinion after using iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 for the last week is Apple went too far with them for the sake of having some pretty new UI candy to show off. I wouldn't be surprised if these transitions are optimized to be shorter in future patches as they really do little other than slow navigation down.

Airdrop requires the newer Wi-Fi hardware chips to function and is not supported on phones pre-4S.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 4 and I told her it would be better to hold off a week or two before updating. While Apple supports older handsets, they have a tendency to optimize for the newer ones first then tweak the old stuff. It's worth waiting to see if there are any issues with the 4 that need to be patched up before jumping in.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads