• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell bradleys 2day. I got these in the 2016 trunk show, I think.
fcotfg6.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I have one last shoe to show to you all. It is the favorite of my entire collection and I am extremely sad to lose it. I will be selling it with all the rest. It was the only MTO shoe I had commissioned for myself with my specs. It should ABSOLUTELY be a stock makeup with the leather change. I've been pushing AE on this for years.

Fifth Avenue in Black Shell Cordovan. Wheeling on the welt with black stitching. Single JR sole. Independence lining with the standard leather insole (I hate the padded insoles).

It's definitely the gem of my collection and sadly I never wore it. An absolutely gorgeous shoe and black shell brings the Fifth Ave to perfection, in my opinion.

I used to think black shell was a waste but I have seen seen the light; black shell blows black calf out of the water with depth and shine.

Enjoy the photos and bask in shell goodness.
img_1059-jpg.1089553
img_1060-jpg.1089554
img_1061-jpg.1089555
img_1062-jpg.1089556
img_1063-jpg.1089557
img_1064-jpg.1089558
img_1065-jpg.1089559
img_1066-jpg.1089560
img_1067-jpg.1089561

img_1068-jpg.1089562

winghus

Reaction score
This is not an MTO specific question but I was in the local AE store today trying on shell Randolphs and Patriots. I have an older pair of AE shell shoes and the new ones are way more glossy than the older pair. Does AE coat their shell now with something like Alden does? I've seen Aldens where the coating starts flaking off after time and I don't want to buy into that with a pair of AEs.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not an MTO specific question but I was in the local AE store today trying on shell Randolphs and Patriots. I have an older pair of AE shell shoes and the new ones are way more glossy than the older pair. Does AE coat their shell now with something like Alden does? I've seen Aldens where the coating starts flaking off after time and I don't want to buy into that with a pair of AEs.

Yes, they use a lacquer finish.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To build on what @peppercorn78 said, that finish may, or may not, be responsible for the gloss on the new pair vs old. Each shell is different after all. I have seen pairs where the left and right shoe even have different levels of gloss.

winghus

Reaction score
To build on what @peppercorn78 said, that finish may, or may not, be responsible for the gloss on the new pair vs old. Each shell is different after all. I have seen pairs where the left and right shoe even have different levels of gloss.
What's the difference in care for the lacquered shoes? All I have to do for my old ones is brush, brush, brush and occasionally rub a scratch out with my thumb or a spoon.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference in care for the lacquered shoes? All I have to do for my old ones is brush, brush, brush and occasionally rub a scratch out with my thumb or a spoon.
No difference, use the Mac Method.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads