1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8 : Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction of the year is for an Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Oh, I thought it was ground up and in the freezer...uh... wait... that's not it.

2. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Senior Member

Exactly!! :p

Hahah that's the spirit!!

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Distinguished Member

Yes those were some great days indeed! Going to be parting with some SMU's and maybe an MTO(not those green ones!) Going through all of my pairs and lining stuff up by groups and eliminating some overlapping...My AE MTO Eagle is nearly identical to an Edward Green Galway I picked up at a big discount.

4. savvysartorial

Xpost from AE thread but enjoy!

Brown Shell MacNeil. Absolutely gorgeous in 12D and have been returned to AE so they're up for grabs. They should make this model in burgundy, black, and brown shell, no questions asked!!

BRING BACK MTO!!

IMG_0977.jpg IMG_0978.jpg IMG_0979.jpg

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I feel like AE has kicked their welt and edge work up a notch recently.

The pair above (and my two recent recrafts) shows a much higher SPI and greater attention to wheeling/stitch matching than anything Else Ive seen from AE over the past 20 years.

Now, if they can only match the craftsmanshipfrom the 1950s and 60s, that would be something else entirely...

6. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Senior Member

Totally agree they should produce all shell models in all shell colors. Why not ?

7. savvysartorial

Absolutely!! I love would love grab a Strand in burgundy and black shell.

Cambridge in brown shell? GIVE ME THAT! I would DROOL over the chance to get that.

The folks running the ship seem clueless or are asleep at the wheel. Feel the pulse of this thread and its larger brother, AE appreciation, and you'd have a license to print money.

8. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

I'd just like to hear their reasoning - they must have a reason. Better control shell sales? There's likely a higher loss rate and margins on shell than calf, so give people some to satisfy but not so much that they're inundated with it.
    Though we are a sample of the AE market, bear in mind we are only like the 0.4%, so I don't know that they'd be swimming in money opening up the options. I would appreciate it for sure, and would make use of it...

9. sterlingindigo

They think we're a bunch of weirdo's because we are critical and talk about foot volume too much (and they may have a valid point) lol. But they should look at the numbers of what people are buying here since January over on the AE Appreciation thread currently and then maybe they would reconsider.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

LOL 100%.

Can you imagine them reading my post above about welt stitching and thinking “damn, those fools have TOO much time on their hands.”

11. sterlingindigo

Lol I agree with your improvement assessment and I hope they do too.
    I also agree I have too much time on my hands which is none of their business lol.

12. savvysartorial

I don't get it at all. They no doubt have no shortage of the shell in those colors. And they don't even make the shoes until they're ordered anyways, so it's not like they're losing much on having premade shoes!!

I almost feel its like DeBeers with diamonds making the product rare and expensive. Except in this case it is a fairly rare product given the time (6 months) it takes to tan the hides.

LOL, it's OK we're all weird together!!

13. savvysartorial

MTO Burgundy shell Fifth Avenue from days of yore. Absolutely gorgeous model that should be stocked at all times. JR sole and upper change to shell.

IMG_1011.jpg IMG_1012.jpg IMG_1013.jpg IMG_1014.jpg IMG_1015.jpg IMG_1016.jpg

14. sterlingindigo

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

Brown shell bradleys 2day. I got these in the 2016 trunk show, I think.
    [​IMG]