• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically the vamp/tongue sewn to the rest of the upper. Like a handsewn boot. If you like the moc toe design, it ain’t bad. I just wish AE would just make a quality material boot from upper to sole. When they get the upper right/they use a cheap sole and visa versa.

The Carter is a two-piece moc I think actually.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Paging @donkeyhoatie. With this news, maybe our friends should scoop a snuff Freeport? Perhaps in a second?

I'll be interested to see how the Carter does. At first glance, I see what they were trying to do. It's just not for me.

Outside of the tag, the Freeport seemed to be a fav for many here. I'd have loved a denim 'port this TS - especially if it was announced that it was going away.

The Carter looks pretty good to me, especially in Teak. It seems like they tried to fix the common complaints from the Freeport - tongue pad, lug sole, speedhooks. While the two piece vamp looks more casual I don't think that's a bad thing. Not a bad offering and perhaps a net gain as long as they didn't cut corners with the midsole, lining, or upper. The insoles on these boots are already kinda trash in my opinion but AE seems to be moving away from the traditional leather insole, much to my chagrin.

Also, a turquoise shell HM would be pretty sweet, notsomuch the straight jeans-like color. I guess that's a real possibility here depending on the shell lottery. I did a slight hue shift on the stock photo for reference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 6.59.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 6.59.07 PM.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 67

Snowmaker

Reaction score
Alright, I could use some help fellas. I’ve been mostly a lurker on here and haven’t even been doing that for the past couple years. I think I’m going to be an 11th hour participant in this trunk show after talking myself off the fence during multiple previous trunk shows and older GMTOs. I’m potentially looking at 2 pairs, but I’ve been struggling a bit with my selections.

My initial want was an Ultraviolet Park Avenue Boot and a Green Strand. My daily attire is quite casual so I’m not certain how often I’d find opportunities to wear a PAB or Strand for that matter. I’ve attempted scrolling through the all the past posts for illustrations of wear possibilities but I’ve been away so long that it’s daunting so I’m now thinking an Ultraviolet Higgins Mill and a Green Higgins Mill or Dundee will be the way I go. Though reluctant to admit, I think I would utilize them better. I’m stuck on the soles, so I I’m continuing to scope other’s choices in the spreadsheets. I like the look of Double JR, but my environment isn’t ideal for it and I get less use out of my current leather soles in general. I worry Commando will pick up too many stones ‘round here and be a chore. Gumlite has been okay in the past but I do notice it lacking support compared to Dainite or Double Leather for extreme lengths of walking plus I don’t appreciate how easily I can often wear away the the outer heal considering it can’t be replaced separately. I’d love something other than standard black Dainite but I’m uncertain what other colors might look good with these makeups. How does the Itshide Commando compare to Dainite in terms of longevity and comfort?

The 65 fits me well in an 8.5D with good closure at the laces. I’ve only worn the 511 as a Dundee 2.0 and Long Branch, both of which required a 9D due to limited cone height and restricted toe splay/wiggling. I’m hesitant to order a Dundee since without the Poron, I might be in between sizes making a 9D being too big and I can’t afford to spend spend this kind of money to have a poor fit. Has anyone experienced any sizing peculiarities with the Higgins Mill that might shift me from an 8.5D to a 9D or the other way around?

Lastly, if I end up purchasing something, who should I go through? Kirsten at Paramus was the last person I dealt with, so I could use a new recommendation.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Alright, I could use some help fellas. I’ve been mostly a lurker on here and haven’t even been doing that for the past couple years. I think I’m going to be an 11th hour participant in this trunk show after talking myself off the fence during multiple previous trunk shows and older GMTOs. I’m potentially looking at 2 pairs, but I’ve been struggling a bit with my selections.
Welcome aboard!

{stuff about soles}
I took my boots with Commando soles to the range once, and I'm pretty sure I brought all the brass back home with me in the treads, so yeah, these will probably pick up a lot of little pebbles and rocks, if you're worried about that. However, I find the Commando is actually quite comfortable, especially compared to Dainite. With Dainite, I feel like I can discern exactly where each of the little buttons on the bottom of the sole are with the actual soles of my feet. This is mainly only an issue when taking these out for an extended period of time, though.

For longevity, I'm not sure if you even can wear down a Dainite sole. It's probably a bit sturdier than Commando, but their use cases really aren't the same. Dainite is pretty minimal and can substitute for a leather sole, but you wouldn't want to take it on a hike, whereas Commando would look out of place at the office on a rainy day when Dainite would be fine.

If you're wearing all this casually, and with boots, that's probably not a concern for you, though. I'd say Dainite is more appropriate for your Dundee choice, and Commando for the Higgins Mill, but Dainite would probably work there, too.

Regarding fit, I don't actually own a Higgins so cannot comment on any peculiarities it may have.

Lastly, if I end up purchasing something, who should I go through? Kirsten at Paramus was the last person I dealt with, so I could use a new recommendation.
I've only ever shopped with Jay at the San Francisco Sutter St. location, but a good place to call if you're open to any region.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freeport natty CXL is in the dome.

IMG_6119.jpeg

I’m going to be wearing my Freeport boots for the Stitchdown Patina Thunderdome contest. This is my first day to wear them and they are going to get a lot of wear over the next six months. I’m really looking forward to seeing the transformation. The only thing that I don’t like about this is that it’s extremely limiting to what boots I choose to wear each day!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My initial want was an Ultraviolet Park Avenue Boot and a Green Strand. My daily attire is quite casual so I’m not certain how often I’d find opportunities to wear a PAB or Strand for that matter. I’ve attempted scrolling through the all the past posts for illustrations of wear possibilities but I’ve been away so long that it’s daunting so I’m now thinking an Ultraviolet Higgins Mill and a Green Higgins Mill or Dundee will be the way I go. Though reluctant to admit, I think I would utilize them better. I’m stuck on the soles, so I I’m continuing to scope other’s choices in the spreadsheets. I like the look of Double JR, but my environment isn’t ideal for it and I get less use out of my current leather soles in general. I worry Commando will pick up too many stones ‘round here and be a chore. Gumlite has been okay in the past but I do notice it lacking support compared to Dainite or Double Leather for extreme lengths of walking plus I don’t appreciate how easily I can often wear away the the outer heal considering it can’t be replaced separately. I’d love something other than standard black Dainite but I’m uncertain what other colors might look good with these makeups. How does the Itshide Commando compare to Dainite in terms of longevity and comfort?

The 65 fits me well in an 8.5D with good closure at the laces. I’ve only worn the 511 as a Dundee 2.0 and Long Branch, both of which required a 9D due to limited cone height and restricted toe splay/wiggling. I’m hesitant to order a Dundee since without the Poron, I might be in between sizes making a 9D being too big and I can’t afford to spend spend this kind of money to have a poor fit. Has anyone experienced any sizing peculiarities with the Higgins Mill that might shift me from an 8.5D to a 9D or the other way around?

The Higgins Mill. If instep will be an issue I might consider 8.5E or 9D, especially if you plan to wear anything thicker than dress socks. Compared to the 511 (Dundee) it's got more toe room and a narrower heel, and works for me a lot better. A HM in either shell color will be a banger. If you have to choose one, green is more wearable. The PAB would be sweet as well, if you decide to go with it. I don't see why you couldn't pair a UV PAB with streetwear in the right context. Personally I stay away from the 511 for fit reasons but the Dundee is a great looking chukka.

Itshide is stiffer than Dainite (more support) and a great choice unless you're worried about debris in the lugs. As for Dainite, the chestnut color could go well with either Green or UV as an alternative to black. The best choice, in my opinion, is a double JR leather sole with an extra half sole (and heel) installed by a reputable cobbler. If you want to save the extra dough, V-tread is basically this although on a single, non-JR leather sole.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll address your last question first. I also had been dealing with Kristen at Paramus when the closures happened. Since then, I began a relationship with Anup at the Reston, VA, store, which is near my work. I recommend finding a store closeby if you can and getting a good relationship with an SA who can work with you on what you want to get with AE.

I also work in a very casual environment where we can wear anything. Flip flops and shorts are common, especially when bringing your dog to the office. I found it very hard to wear more traditional or conservative shoes and clothes when I first started working here. Even though I had previously worked in a place that was casual, the environment at my current office is so casual that you will feel awkward even wearing a button-down shirt that is tucked in with chinos and dress shoes--FORGET ABOUT A JACKET! The name of the game for me now is to dress deliberately loud. By dressing smart casual with louder colors, others can't even consider that I am dressing conservastively in a weay that mismatches with culture. That doesn't mean it has to be so loud that it looks absurd! For example, I can wear my green shell Strands that have a light-color edege and reverse-split welt with jeans or gray chinos and an untucked button-down shirt. I can always wear dress sneakers (as I have many park ave and strand sneakers) in any color. Dress sneakers can keep the traditional uppers without making it seem to conforming with conservative work-wear. Boots are actually extremely versatile, especially with contrast welts. The denim and UV shell colors will have a light edge and welt that keeps the outfit casual. I ordered a UV Strand Sneaker and a denim PA Boot.

Regarding fit, I wear the 511 in the same size as 65, though the fit can be different. I find that boots are much more foregiving on heel slip, which is a common problem for me with orthotics. I size down 1/2 on the HM from 65.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freeport natty CXL is in the dome.

View attachment 2038497
I’m going to be wearing my Freeport boots for the Stitchdown Patina Thunderdome contest. This is my first day to wear them and they are going to get a lot of wear over the next six months. I’m really looking forward to seeing the transformation. The only thing that I don’t like about this is that it’s extremely limiting to what boots I choose to wear each day!
#Freeportgang

Broke out my Dome pair yesterday as well.
20230930_142225.jpg

It took everything in me to pass up a pair of new natty CXL Freeports on Itshide commando from Dabondo for under $200. But I just picked up a HM in natty, and I like the HM better in general.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yours look awesome! Good luck in this year’s contest.

I wore a pair of Red Wings for the contest last year and finished 12th. I believe that the natty CXL has more potential for interesting patina than that Red Wing leather, but we will find out over the next six months.

#Freeportgang
View attachment 2038527

It took everything in me to pass up a pair of new natty CXL Freeports on Itshide commando from Dabondo for under $200. But I just picked up a HM in natty, and I like the HM better in general.
#Freeportgang

View attachment 2038527

Geoff928

Reaction score
Blue suede Strands on v-tread. Just for the day, the laces were changed from brown to red.
PXL_20230924_163015037.jpg

PXL_20230924_163019542.jpg

These green shell Strands were starting to bloom when I pulled them out last week. Gave them a vigorous brushing and they shined up nicely.
PXL_20230925_211416719.jpg

PXL_20230925_211412878.jpg

These oxblood Daltons are almost too red. Was thinking of using some Saphir burgundy or plum on the wings and heels to darken them up a little bit.
PXL_20230926_155655064.jpg

PXL_20230926_155700704.jpg

Cigar Strands, one of my favorites. Wish they had a Manistee belt in cigar.
PXL_20230929_172641329.jpg

PXL_20230929_172618802.jpg

Football grain Patriots to go watch my college team struggle.
PXL_20230930_152616355.jpg

PXL_20230930_152343540.jpg

It may be over 80 degrees outside, but it is also October and time to wear Shakers.
PXL_20231002_175522245.jpg

PXL_20231002_175528956.jpg

The Freeport is going away. The Carter is taking its place.
I'm a little vexed that the Freeport is being replaced with the Carter. I like the look of the Freeport more than the Carter … but the Carter does have an Itshide sole.

It is awesome that we have two people entering the Thunderdome with Freeports. I wish the best of luck to both @mreams99 and @manowar. We are going to need to see pictures of the transformation!

I would go with a store that is close to you. If that doesn't work, I can highly recommend State Street in Boston. They're over 1,000 miles away from me, but I can't see myself using any other store to make my purchases. Great people.

In fact, I just got off the phone with the wonderful people at State Street to place an order for a green shell belt. They gave me a heads up about the upcoming RDA sale, it starts tomorrow for anyone signed up as a collector and the sixth for anyone who isn't. I've had my eye on both the white suede Strandmok and the new loden Strandmok. Might be time to cash in on all these points.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
I pulled out my chili shell Freeports and it looks like they have some spots on them. I tried a wet rag but no luck. Conditioner also didn't do anything. I seem to remember someone saying I can use vinegar on them? Any ideas for a next step to try on these?

Freeport_Chili_6_25.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads