• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PANJ

Reaction score
OK, so it's pretty obvious that my Higgins Mills have zero arch support. I have low insteps, flat feet and overpronate. The difference is abismal compared to my C&J, Carlos Santos and even Meermin boots. My Hamilton and Fifth St. are also fine, but my HMs just collapse inward when I stand in them.

My question for you all: it this common or is it that my pair has the XL Extralight lug soles? Perhaps it's something I could correct with a resole?

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Would add that I do not have an issue with my other Allen Edmonds boots (Normandy on double leather and Freeport on a lug sole).

Last edited:

Peitron

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the sole is main problem. I find my Dainite Higgins have pretty decent support, although not as good as some other brands (GS, Alden).
Same, have no issues with 65 last boots in Dainite or double leather, although support is not as good as other brands, it's pretty decent.

I've written to Steve at Bedo's to see what he recommends. Thks.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I’ll also state- I get better support from leather than I do from dainite. There was a time when I was a big proponent of dainite but I’ve “wised up” to it. Dainite is no longer my first choice.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same, have no issues with 65 last boots in Dainite or double leather, although support is not as good as other brands, it's pretty decent.

I've written to Steve at Bedo's to see what he recommends. Thks.

If you're going to have Bedo do it for you, I strongly suggest having him put a steel shank in, regardless of which sole you choose. The Higgins poron + a steel shank would give you the best of both worlds (comfort and support).

schweezly

Reaction score
I’ll also throw my experience in with Wyatt & Sons. Had them do a specific topy cover on a pair of new boots and they did a great job. They also gave me like 5 choices of material and reasons I’d like any of them

Can’t go wrong with either

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smaller throat? Like smaller opening? I feel like my Randolph heels go to high up my foot.
Yep, I can actually walk without slip.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These yeller shoes never get dirty.
IMG_7312.jpeg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These yeller shoes never get dirty. View attachment 1994001

Lucky feller, my bone ones got dirty almost immediately and nobody would tell me if standard AE saddle soap was safe for 'em. :\

The Sturgis and the Higgins are en route to Nashville for them youtube fellers to resole. So I'm slummin the Thursdays for now. :p

IMG_20230720_114613_276.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He did “the works” on my Indy boots this year. New welts, refinished uppers, Vibram lugs. 5 months and north of $600. Totally worth it. I also recommend Jim McFarland in Florida. Prices on his website. (Jim has done 5 pairs of AEs for me this year.)
View attachment 1993651 View attachment 1993653

I would advise you that $600 for a new welt + soles + refinishing is very steep and five months an extreme amount of time for repairs.

I am not saying the work isn't very good. It is exceptionally good. But my cobbler (who sadly retired) would have done this same job for me in one week for 250 with the same degree of detail/expertise.

Refinishing is effectively redying, edge dressing, and polish.

The resole shouldn't be more than about 125.

The rewelting is a concerning process as you can screw up the shoe. I'd say the process should cost another 125.

I'd say all together 300 would have been far more fair and the process should have taken 2-3 weeks at MOST.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR, I agree he is expensive, but he's also in high demand. I probably wouldn't use him for just a regular resole when there's so many other good ones out there that can do it cheaper. But for something more special that needs careful attention, I would consider him for that.

True. He has gotten very famous on the internet and given so many places in America are a cobbler desert - cough Champaign, Illinois, cough @audog - it makes sense he gets orders from around the US.

But yeah, well taken.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise you that $600 for a new welt + soles + refinishing is very steep and five months an extreme amount of time for repairs.

I am not saying the work isn't very good. It is exceptionally good. But my cobbler (who sadly retired) would have done this same job for me in one week for 250 with the same degree of detail/expertise.

The rewelting is a concerning process as you can screw up the shoe. I'd say the process should cost another 125.

I'd say all together 300 would have been far more fair and the process should have taken 2-3 weeks at MOST.
He’s expensive, but he’s the best.

(I don’t know who’s doing $125 resoles these days, though.)

TheLawBeard

Reaction score

I think you'll find that most reputable cobblers charge more (even significantly) than you quoted. Bedo's is the most expensive I know of. However, he's also quite likely the best in the business right now.

I've used two cobblers that charged similar rates to those you quoted and both did shoddy work (and this was a few years ago). I can't imagine anyone charging $125 for a quality resole. Even AE's highly controversial recrafts start at $150 these days- and you absolutely should not send them something you really care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52