• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanks for making me hate Tom Ford's sunglasses

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
I hate expensive sunglasses with a passion. I can get polarized sunglasses in most any styling for around $20.

And yet people are going on about $900 sunglasses? **** that, sunglasses get dropped, scratched, or even lost. And they're all made in the same factory in china for less than pennies on the dollar.

With some items, there are genuine differences in quality and construction. On others, the pricing just serves to sever fools from their money.

Really? It seems, sir, that you have never owned a really great pair of sunglasses. Maui Jims are made in Japan, and the Luxotica offerings are made in Italy. I good pair of lenses makes all of the difference in the world and feels better on the eyes. Besides, cheap sunglasses look... well, cheap.

Like anything else, you can find better deals than paying full retail (ebay is pretty good for this once you know the model you want).

I don't tend to lose or scratch my sunglasses. However, I usually buy a new pair every spring just to have a fresh look.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It costs less than 15 dollars for Tom Ford to produce a pair of sunglasses he will sell for over 400 dollars. Don't be a sucker...like I was.
frown.gif

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate expensive sunglasses with a passion. I can get polarized sunglasses in most any styling for around $20.

And yet people are going on about $900 sunglasses? **** that, sunglasses get dropped, scratched, or even lost. And they're all made in the same factory in china for less than pennies on the dollar.

With some items, there are genuine differences in quality and construction. On others, the pricing just serves to sever fools from their money.

I'm surprised at this. I assume from your name that you're a Pilot of some kind? ( I suppose you may be a Nautical captain....) The difference between Luxotica opticals and $20 is noticeable especially in bright conditions. Cheap sunglasses reflect and distort colour making the visual scan less easy. Almost all pilots I know agree...

As far as I can see there are three levels in sunglasses:

£5-£35 - Plastic lenses which are good for getting multiple styles and daily use

£100 - £200 - Glass lenses with quality optics and good construction

£200+ - Designer brands with heavy premiums for the logo.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I'm surprised at this. I assume from your name that you're a Pilot of some kind? ( I suppose you may be a Nautical captain....) The difference between Luxotica opticals and $20 is noticeable especially in bright conditions. Cheap sunglasses reflect and distort colour making the visual scan less easy. Almost all pilots I know agree... As far as I can see there are three levels in sunglasses: £5-£35 - Plastic lenses which are good for getting multiple styles and daily use £100 - £200 - Glass lenses with quality optics and good construction £200+ - Designer brands with heavy premiums for the logo.
It was a handle on a star trek board when I was a fair bit younger, one that I never got around to changing throughout various message board iterations. I really should, but for some reason it would feel like a major life change. I'm not a pilot, though that would be cool. Perhaps I'll take lessons buy a plane someday. I was going to add something about knowing that I would have to go up to $100 or so for glass lenses and legitimate quality optics in my original post, but decided against it. I'm aware that there are better quality real lenses out there. My criticism really is just of the 'see our logo? that tells people you paid shiatloads of money!' glasses.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a handle on a star trek board when I was a fair bit younger, one that I never got around to changing throughout various message board iterations. I really should, but for some reason it would feel like a major life change. I'm not a pilot, though that would be cool. Perhaps I'll take lessons buy a plane someday.

I was going to add something about knowing that I would have to go up to $100 or so for glass lenses and legitimate quality optics in my original post, but decided against it. I'm aware that there are better quality real lenses out there. My criticism really is just of the 'see our logo? that tells people you paid shiatloads of money!' glasses.

That makes more sense. However, most people don't know certain brands like Maui Jims so maybe $50 is towards optics $50 towards design and marketing and $100 is markup?

I purchased NIB authentic TF sunglasses for my girlfriend on ebay for around $250. She saw them in the store and wanted them. I told here to hold off and took down the model name and color. A quick ebay search cut $200 off the price.

She like them and that is all that matters.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The smartest thing designer's ever did was market sunglasses. It is an affordable luxury. They must make a fortune on them
Don't forget about fragrances. A lot of fashion brands' fragrances are crap, but it makes them tons of money. I see how sunglasses/glasses are worth more money though. Yeah, I own three pairs of glasses from Zenni Optical, but I can notice the difference.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford sunglasses are some of the worst out there. The lenses are cheap plastic and they scratch very easily. The frames are nothing special either.

You are paying for design and a name. Nothing else.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Tom Ford sunglasses are some of the worst out there. The lenses are cheap plastic and they scratch very easily. The frames are nothing special either.

You are paying for design and a name. Nothing else.

Huh?

The ones I picked up for my lady are glass and are made by Luxotica which makes Raybans, Persols, Prada, Burburry, etc.

They are the same quality as any of the above brands.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Huh?

The ones I picked up for my lady are glass and are made by Luxotica which makes Raybans, Persols, Prada, Burburry, etc.

They are the same quality as any of the above brands.

Luxotica know how to make a great pair of glasses. I own two pairs of glasses (Tortoise Shell Wayfarers and Persol Aviators) and have had both of them for over 7 years now.

While I can't speak to the quality of their most recent offerings, both pairs had a free lifetime replacement policy through Luxotica when I initially purchased them. To me that speaks more than enough to quality and commitment to manufacturing a superior product.

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
The Superga sneakers are awesome for the price, though. Got 'em at Costco a while back and I really enjoyed them ever since.

How's the fit on the Superga? I wear a 9.5 but they only have 42 (9) and 43 (10). Size up or down?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGloger
How's the fit on the Superga? I wear a 9.5 but they only have 42 (9) and 43 (10). Size up or down?

Size up if left with no other choice. I'd say they fit pretty true to size, so best to look elsewhere.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGloger

Size up, especially if you have wider feet. I sized up to a 12 and it fits pretty well.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I'm surprised at this. I assume from your name that you're a Pilot of some kind? ( I suppose you may be a Nautical captain....) The difference between Luxotica opticals and $20 is noticeable especially in bright conditions. Cheap sunglasses reflect and distort colour making the visual scan less easy. Almost all pilots I know agree... As far as I can see there are three levels in sunglasses: £5-£35 - Plastic lenses which are good for getting multiple styles and daily use £100 - £200 - Glass lenses with quality optics and good construction £200+ - Designer brands with heavy premiums for the logo.
There are no logos on Oliver Peoples and Barton Perreira. And the construction of Barton Perreira is on another level compared to most designer brands. I mean Ray bans have the logo plastered on the lens.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Luxotica know how to make a great pair of glasses. I own two pairs of glasses (Tortoise Shell Wayfarers and Persol Aviators) and have had both of them for over 7 years now.

While I can't speak to the quality of their most recent offerings, both pairs had a free lifetime replacement policy through Luxotica when I initially purchased them. To me that speaks more than enough to quality and commitment to manufacturing a superior product.

+1 8-10 years ago BB carried Luxotica aviators and couldn't give them away. I bought a couple of pairs for iirc $25/each. They have been used a lot and still look brand new. Luxotica is a great brand!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads