• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I should refinance to a 15 though. I am 10 years into my current 30 year mortgage.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Before I came to the White House I spent the better part of 20 years forecasting the business cycle and stock market trends, and what I can tell you with certainty is that we're going to have a strong economy through 2020 and beyond with a bull market." -- Peter Navarro, 08/19/2019. (Emphasis mine. Let's see how this ages.)

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Before I came to the White House I spent the better part of 20 years forecasting the business cycle and stock market trends, and what I can tell you with certainty is that we're going to have a strong economy through 2020 and beyond with a bull market." -- Peter Navarro, 08/19/2019. (Emphasis mine. Let's see how this ages.)
Kudlow said something similar today, and I agree, let's see how it ages.

Within the limitations of his 300 word vocabulary Trump has also been offering similar guarantees, and what I can tell you with certainty is that he won't be held accountable for those words.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If payments didn't change that means there was a huge interest rate delta. Also, if you're ten years into a 30, then re-fi into 15, you only knock five years off...

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If payments didn't change that means there was a huge interest rate delta. Also, if you're ten years into a 30, then re-fi into 15, you only knock five years off...
It knock off more than 5 years since your principle amortization changes. Every month, a larger portion of your payment is going towards principle instead of interest.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It knock off more than 5 years since your principle amortization changes. Every month, a larger portion of your payment is going towards principle instead of interest.
Then whomever didn't get a 15 year mortgage.

Start with 30 year mortgage.

Pay it for 10 years, leaving 20.

Refi into 15 year mortgage.

Net of five less years.

Booth said the above, then simul said "he did the same thing" but it saved him 10 years. I'm guessing he didn't do the same thing as doing the same thing would have involved getting a 15 year mortgage.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He could have paid for a lot of points upfront. That's the only way I can see that making sense unless he paid more than the principle each month for the remainder of the mortgage.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on choosing between equal Mutual Fund vs. ETF?

The mutual fund is like 1bps more expense ratio vs the ETF. Mutual Fund allows partial share purchase vs ETF. I am not worried too much about midday buying in ETF vs. MF and these are currently in tax sheltered so that doesn't matter currently.

Am I missing something? Thought about transitioning to ETF but my big hangup is partial shares. I end up putting in $1K per month and depending on the ETF, it can be a hassle.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wasn't it you that pointed out how mutual funds can trigger capital gains taxes before selling vs. ETFs or something to that effect?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it you that pointed out how mutual funds can trigger capital gains taxes before selling vs. ETFs or something to that effect?
That was me but since these are tax sheltered, I don't care at the moment. I will likely do ETF in my taxable though.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Partial shares win in your situation

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If y'all are into podcasts, the recent The Meb Faber Show had an episode with a guy named Raoul Ray is worth a listen. Said most of the world is in a recession and that the US could not hold out forever. Then went into how bonds are approaching negative so an allocation there is somewhat worthless. Then hit the eyeroll topic of gold and bitcoin.

I honestly don't know what to think in this situation. I wasn't an investor in 08 so it has only been rosy for me. At what point does the feeling of, this will be a quick drop vs. a long drawn out process go away? I mean you had those periods in the 60s-70s where the market was flat. What the hell do you do for 10 years?

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.