• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I should refinance to a 15 though. I am 10 years into my current 30 year mortgage.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Before I came to the White House I spent the better part of 20 years forecasting the business cycle and stock market trends, and what I can tell you with certainty is that we're going to have a strong economy through 2020 and beyond with a bull market." -- Peter Navarro, 08/19/2019. (Emphasis mine. Let's see how this ages.)

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Before I came to the White House I spent the better part of 20 years forecasting the business cycle and stock market trends, and what I can tell you with certainty is that we're going to have a strong economy through 2020 and beyond with a bull market." -- Peter Navarro, 08/19/2019. (Emphasis mine. Let's see how this ages.)

Kudlow said something similar today, and I agree, let's see how it ages.

Within the limitations of his 300 word vocabulary Trump has also been offering similar guarantees, and what I can tell you with certainty is that he won't be held accountable for those words.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If payments didn't change that means there was a huge interest rate delta. Also, if you're ten years into a 30, then re-fi into 15, you only knock five years off...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If payments didn't change that means there was a huge interest rate delta. Also, if you're ten years into a 30, then re-fi into 15, you only knock five years off...
It knock off more than 5 years since your principle amortization changes. Every month, a larger portion of your payment is going towards principle instead of interest.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It knock off more than 5 years since your principle amortization changes. Every month, a larger portion of your payment is going towards principle instead of interest.

Then whomever didn't get a 15 year mortgage.

Start with 30 year mortgage.

Pay it for 10 years, leaving 20.

Refi into 15 year mortgage.

Net of five less years.

Booth said the above, then simul said "he did the same thing" but it saved him 10 years. I'm guessing he didn't do the same thing as doing the same thing would have involved getting a 15 year mortgage.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He could have paid for a lot of points upfront. That's the only way I can see that making sense unless he paid more than the principle each month for the remainder of the mortgage.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on choosing between equal Mutual Fund vs. ETF?

The mutual fund is like 1bps more expense ratio vs the ETF. Mutual Fund allows partial share purchase vs ETF. I am not worried too much about midday buying in ETF vs. MF and these are currently in tax sheltered so that doesn't matter currently.

Am I missing something? Thought about transitioning to ETF but my big hangup is partial shares. I end up putting in $1K per month and depending on the ETF, it can be a hassle.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wasn't it you that pointed out how mutual funds can trigger capital gains taxes before selling vs. ETFs or something to that effect?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it you that pointed out how mutual funds can trigger capital gains taxes before selling vs. ETFs or something to that effect?

That was me but since these are tax sheltered, I don't care at the moment. I will likely do ETF in my taxable though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics