1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailors in North Jersey (Bergen County)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thenickelfit, Nov 10, 2009.

1. thenickelfit

thenickelfit Well-Known Member

So I won't be starting my new position in NYC for a while, and will be home in Oradell, NJ for a bit. I've been meaning to get some things tailored and want a good tailor in the area. I know I'm relatively close to the City but would like to stay local.

Suit Jackets
    Dress Pants
    Dress Shirts (Oxfords)
    Topcoats

Anyone in the area with recommendations? Looking to take in (fit & slim cut) without being overly trendy, and possibly shorten. Thanks

2. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

I've had good luck with alterations at a place in Closter called Gaetano's. Good prices, excellent work on alterations, though I've never used her for serious recutting of jackets. But for sleeves and waist supression, etc., she's your man. She does like to hem the trousers long--and thinks I'm insane for wanting so little break--so make sure she understands exactly what you want.

3. Cid

Cid Senior member

So I won't be starting my new position in NYC for a while, and will be home in Oradell, NJ for a bit. I've been meaning to get some things tailored and want a good tailor in the area. I know I'm relatively close to the City but would like to stay local.

Suit Jackets
    Dress Pants
    Dress Shirts (Oxfords)
    Topcoats

Anyone in the area with recommendations? Looking to take in (fit & slim cut) without being overly trendy, and possibly shorten. Thanks

There was an Asian tailor in Emerson that did better than average work. Its been 10 years since I was there, though.

4. okayfine

okayfine Member

Anyone have any experience with Nino Caldarone in Ramsey ?

5. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Senior member

If you're willing to drive head to Carlos Coto at Summit Tailors in Summit.

Website may look a bit cheesy but he does great work.

http://www.summittailors.com/

6. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

+1 for Carlos although he isn't in the bergen county area

7. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Joe Piazza in Elmwood Park, NJ. He does a lot of stuff by hand and is really cheap. I had a bunch of work done to a suit (waist in, taper, brace buttons, sleeve hem, leg hem, letting 3 seems out on the jacket) which would have cost me at least 100-150 in the city and he charged me 30 bucks.

8. thenickelfit

thenickelfit Well-Known Member

Zon, yes it surprises me that given BC's vicinity to the city many in-store tailors still think I'm crazy when I get my suit a size down their recommendations, and mind you I still avert from the super-slim and trendy.

I've heard of Carlos but he's too far - might as well head to the City which is closer.

I'll have to check out Joe at Elmwood. Bummer no reviews on google but I'll test him with a pant/shirt. I have a ton of pants that need crotch jobs (excess fabric), so hope he's good with that.

Any more reccos? Thanks All.

9. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Attilio Custom Tailor in Fairlawn is excellent. Enzo, the owner, is a master tailor and is great to work with. He is also very reasonably priced. I get all of my stuff done there and have never had a problem. He is well known in the area and everyone loves him. He's a great old school Italian tailor.

10. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

just curious. what have you had done there and how much did it cost?

i've had good experience at Tony Custom Tailor in hackensack, but wondering if theres any place that might be cheaper.
    i've had shirts tapered for 20$ and shortened (in length from collar to hem) for $14 and sleeves shortened for $14
    and i've had pants tapered for $30, hemming $12.

11. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Those prices sound similar to Enzo's but his prices aren't set in stone. Sometimes they can be lower than that depending on the garment and how much you're getting done. But more importantly, you can trust Enzo with any job and his prices will also be competitive. Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but you should definitely try him out to see how you like him.

12. Regg

Regg Senior member

Thought I'd bump this because I've been looking for somewhere to go. I was tired of getting hit or miss service with dry cleaners so I wanted a real tailor.

First stop was a convenient place on my way home from work, Tailoring By Flavio in Hillsdale. That turned out to be a big waste of time. First he complained that the sleeves needed to be different lengths so the buttons wouldn't be even. Said he would have to move them up. And this was apparently time consuming work, and he didn't have the machine to re-do the fake button holes. Could he shorten by the sleeves I ask? He laughs at me and says no, that's a serious job that he doesn't do because it's not worth it, too time consuming, places charge $500 for that kind of work. I'm fairly confident this is completely wrong because it is, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because I needed the work done. Ended up leaving to think it over while trying to find another place.

I googled to research prior to going to Flavio, and two names came up, Flavio, and Enzo(via velvel's post). Had to drive about 25 minutes to Enzo's place but wow what a difference. Friendly, knowledgeable, at first glance he could already tell Flavio's markings were off. Enzo gave me a cheaper price and quicker turnaround time than Flavio, and said that shortening the sleeves from the shoulder would have been about $100. Oh, and he was more than happy to replace the pant button loops with adjustable side tabs if there was enough fabric from the pants, which Flavio flat out said no to.

I'll try to post again when I pick up my stuff from Enzo, I'm confident it will turn out well.

13. fashionnewb

fashionnewb Member

[​IMG]
    After seeing this picture, I realize I need a new tailor. Any recommendations (for alterations and/or custom suits) in Bergen County, Northeast NJ, or NYC? Thanks in advance.

14. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I'm in the Bergen county area, but head to NY for my tailor. I mostly use Matt at Imparali tailors. They're on 5th ave between 48th and 49th.

15. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Regg, Happy things worked out. I bring stuff to Enzo all the time and he always does right by me.

16. fashionnewb

fashionnewb Member

Did it turn out well with Enzo?

17. Regg

Regg Senior member

Turned out great. Simple job, shortening the sleeves/pants, but the measurements and work came out perfectly. I'll be going back soon

18. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Nice shop in a nice area: Carlos Coto at Summit Tailors.
    Unfortunately he already blew one deadline that he set himself. Now it is suppose to happen this week. I will update this thread with my impressions. He is taking in thighs and seat on a pair of trousers and taking a jacket in a little on the sides. I have seen reviews of his shop , overwhelmingly positive, and have my hope so far.

Carlos was apologetic about timeline. He was attentive during my fitting and offered to fix fit of my jacket that was off due to my uneven shoulders.
    The trousers were fitted perfectly , thighs and crotch were taken in so there is no extra fabric in those places.
    I could not be happier with trousers fit.

On second try Carlos fixed my jacket fit somewhat . It is RTW jacket and he made it to look as best as possible . The issue was my uneven shoulders. He did not charge me for that second adjustment ,saying he wants to make it fit right , which I appreciated.
    Overall very positive experience, nice work and very nice gentleman.
    Highly recommend.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  19. marleen

marleen New Member

In need of a seamstress in Closter Nj area immediately .Please contact me at 917 . 592 . 0129 .
    Thank you .