• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors in North Jersey (Bergen County)

thenickelfit

Reaction score
So I won't be starting my new position in NYC for a while, and will be home in Oradell, NJ for a bit. I've been meaning to get some things tailored and want a good tailor in the area. I know I'm relatively close to the City but would like to stay local.

Suit Jackets
Dress Pants
Dress Shirts (Oxfords)
Topcoats

Anyone in the area with recommendations? Looking to take in (fit & slim cut) without being overly trendy, and possibly shorten. Thanks

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with alterations at a place in Closter called Gaetano's. Good prices, excellent work on alterations, though I've never used her for serious recutting of jackets. But for sleeves and waist supression, etc., she's your man. She does like to hem the trousers long--and thinks I'm insane for wanting so little break--so make sure she understands exactly what you want.

Cid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenickelfit
So I won't be starting my new position in NYC for a while, and will be home in Oradell, NJ for a bit. I've been meaning to get some things tailored and want a good tailor in the area. I know I'm relatively close to the City but would like to stay local.

Suit Jackets
Dress Pants
Dress Shirts (Oxfords)
Topcoats

Anyone in the area with recommendations? Looking to take in (fit & slim cut) without being overly trendy, and possibly shorten. Thanks

There was an Asian tailor in Emerson that did better than average work. Its been 10 years since I was there, though.

okayfine

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Nino Caldarone in Ramsey ?

BigHandMan

Reaction score
If you're willing to drive head to Carlos Coto at Summit Tailors in Summit.

Website may look a bit cheesy but he does great work.

http://www.summittailors.com/

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for Carlos although he isn't in the bergen county area

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joe Piazza in Elmwood Park, NJ. He does a lot of stuff by hand and is really cheap. I had a bunch of work done to a suit (waist in, taper, brace buttons, sleeve hem, leg hem, letting 3 seems out on the jacket) which would have cost me at least 100-150 in the city and he charged me 30 bucks.

thenickelfit

Reaction score
Zon, yes it surprises me that given BC's vicinity to the city many in-store tailors still think I'm crazy when I get my suit a size down their recommendations, and mind you I still avert from the super-slim and trendy.

I've heard of Carlos but he's too far - might as well head to the City which is closer.

I'll have to check out Joe at Elmwood. Bummer no reviews on google but I'll test him with a pant/shirt. I have a ton of pants that need crotch jobs (excess fabric), so hope he's good with that.

Any more reccos? Thanks All.

velvel87

Reaction score
Attilio Custom Tailor in Fairlawn is excellent. Enzo, the owner, is a master tailor and is great to work with. He is also very reasonably priced. I get all of my stuff done there and have never had a problem. He is well known in the area and everyone loves him. He's a great old school Italian tailor.

bik2101

Reaction score
Attilio Custom Tailor in Fairlawn is excellent. Enzo, the owner, is a master tailor and is great to work with. He is also very reasonably priced. I get all of my stuff done there and have never had a problem. He is well known in the area and everyone loves him. He's a great old school Italian tailor.

just curious. what have you had done there and how much did it cost?

i've had good experience at Tony Custom Tailor in hackensack, but wondering if theres any place that might be cheaper.
i've had shirts tapered for 20$ and shortened (in length from collar to hem) for $14 and sleeves shortened for $14
and i've had pants tapered for $30, hemming $12.

velvel87

Reaction score
Those prices sound similar to Enzo's but his prices aren't set in stone. Sometimes they can be lower than that depending on the garment and how much you're getting done. But more importantly, you can trust Enzo with any job and his prices will also be competitive. Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but you should definitely try him out to see how you like him.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this because I've been looking for somewhere to go. I was tired of getting hit or miss service with dry cleaners so I wanted a real tailor.

First stop was a convenient place on my way home from work, Tailoring By Flavio in Hillsdale. That turned out to be a big waste of time. First he complained that the sleeves needed to be different lengths so the buttons wouldn't be even. Said he would have to move them up. And this was apparently time consuming work, and he didn't have the machine to re-do the fake button holes. Could he shorten by the sleeves I ask? He laughs at me and says no, that's a serious job that he doesn't do because it's not worth it, too time consuming, places charge $500 for that kind of work. I'm fairly confident this is completely wrong because it is, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because I needed the work done. Ended up leaving to think it over while trying to find another place.

I googled to research prior to going to Flavio, and two names came up, Flavio, and Enzo(via velvel's post). Had to drive about 25 minutes to Enzo's place but wow what a difference. Friendly, knowledgeable, at first glance he could already tell Flavio's markings were off. Enzo gave me a cheaper price and quicker turnaround time than Flavio, and said that shortening the sleeves from the shoulder would have been about $100. Oh, and he was more than happy to replace the pant button loops with adjustable side tabs if there was enough fabric from the pants, which Flavio flat out said no to.

I'll try to post again when I pick up my stuff from Enzo, I'm confident it will turn out well.

fashionnewb

Reaction score
4048665834aa61c6a03c.jpg

After seeing this picture, I realize I need a new tailor. Any recommendations (for alterations and/or custom suits) in Bergen County, Northeast NJ, or NYC? Thanks in advance.

mingus2112

Reaction score
I'm in the Bergen county area, but head to NY for my tailor. I mostly use Matt at Imparali tailors. They're on 5th ave between 48th and 49th.

velvel87

Reaction score
Regg, Happy things worked out. I bring stuff to Enzo all the time and he always does right by me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads