• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Tailor Apprenticeship

StevnKeith

Reaction score
Hello,

Without getting into too much detail, I guess, I’m wanting to make a career change & learn the trade. I’m recently divorced & realizing that money is not of the utmost importance to me anymore, which is easier said than done with two daughters. Wanting to go to work & doing something I really enjoy is worth more than dollars and cents. I’m aware that making a career change at this point in my life comes with inherent risks. I get it. This isn’t something I’m doing on a whim. I’ve thought long and hard about it & decided that this is something I’m going to do.

My background(Cliffs notes version):

I graduated in 1993 with a degree in biology. Two months after graduation I was offered a “blue collar” job, traveling the world & accepted. Worked in various countries on every continent except Antarctica & eventually ended up in Alaska 2 years later. Worked various jobs/positions while climbing the corporate ladder. Worked on the North Slope for seven years & came back home to start a small electrical contractor business that is still profitable to this day. I eventually ended up taking a job in administration at a local school district with my eyes on a teachers retirement. Well...........it’s time for a change. I have some experience doing minor alterations but have decided I want more knowledge than I feel I can get through video tutorials, whatever. I am willing to relocate. I’d ideally like to find a Tailor with a good reputation & on the cutting edge of men’s fashion. Whatever that is?? I’m willing to work long hours & fully expect to have to clean toilets & floors & help out in any way necessary to become an asset while learning & helping everyday operations run as smoothly as possible. In whatever capacity. I’m not going to regret any decision made & know that there’s going to be tough situations occasionally but I will not take my ball & go home. I have thick skin & can take constructive criticism. I also realize I’ll probably be living in a van down by the river until I get some chops & deserves decent wages but I’ll just use it as motivation & a reason to stay at the shop longer, even if it’s on my own time. I want to learn. I want to learn from someone who wants to learn me and is damn good at what they do. If you, or someone you know, could use some help in the shop, please, by all means, point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time,
Steven

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads