• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater Reshaping

cmrocks

Reaction score
My favorite sweater, a cashmere cable knit, is starting to really lose it's shape. The neck hole has stretched out and is now quite wide. The sleeves have gotten a bit long and the body of the sweater is kind of sagging a bit. I've owned this sweater for three years now and I wear it all the time. It has only ever been washed by hand in cold water.

Is there anything I can do to have some shape brought back into the sweater? Are there people who do this sort of thing professionally?

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
*Risk Warning* Wash in cold water, lay on clean bath towel, cover with another clean bath towel, roll up and gently squeeze, repeat with two more bath towels. Turn inside-out. Place in low heat clothes dryer for only 15 minutes, check. Repeat 'til size is appropriate, or improved. Remove sweater even if still damp. Allow to complete drying away from heat. Have competent individual sew inside of ribbing at neck, cuffs and waist with elastic thread - you're limited to black or white. Not guaranteed. Not responsible.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Spinnda

Reaction score
Same happening to me, I had to bin the sweater in the end.
I kept wearing it for a few weeks, but I looked terrible.
facepalm.gif

cmrocks

Reaction score
Thanks.

Are there places that block sweaters professionally? I'd rather spend a few bucks and have it actually turn out. It's my favorite sweater by far but it's starting to look pretty bad.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
High-end dry cleaners will block sweaters. I'm sure Vancouver has one of those "when money is no object" type of places. Maybe any run-of-the-mill place will too, I don't know. I've only had it done once or twice.

withstyle

Reaction score
Q- how reliable/routine is this service for a higher-end dry cleaner? would you trust it with a "higher-end" sweater? I have a Cucinelli that is a bit looser around the waist than I would like. It's probably fine as-is, but if I could get it slimmed down a bit without any risk I probably would.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
^ In that case, (if it's not a problem of sagging) why not just have it tailored? Taking in the sides would work better for slimming down the sweater to you without the risk of damage to the material.

I have a black cashmere turtleneck I'm planning on having taken in around the waist as soon as it stops being 70 degrees in November here in California.

Peter

John_Edward

Reaction score
I've got several sweaters that could use the sides taken in a bit as I've trimmed up.

What's the general cost to have the sides brought in? I've got a few $70 sweaters I'd like to be trimmer round the waist, but not sure if it makes more sense to buy new ones and not fuss with these.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
Probably about $25-$30, I'd say. It's the same operation as taking in the sides of a shirt. The upside would be you wouldn't have to spend time trying to find new sweaters....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads