• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I've thought of doing that in the UK for the outlet, but wouldn't it make returning suits more difficult if needed?

I have 3 Suitsupply stores within range of me, not sure if they'd allow me to make outlet returns to a store. I guess this is something I'll ask next time I'm in-store.

Also it looks like Suitsupply has released some weird hover shoes, where can I get them?
tongue.gif

I hope those aren't Europe only exlusive.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
For anyone who has had success getting a suit to the US from Europe, how did you do it? I am not talking about knowing someone in London who mailed it to you. I'm also not talking about stopping into the store and picking it up while on vacation. Please be specific, because I have no experience with anything like this.

BTW, I am aware that a return would be nearly impossible.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For anyone who has had success getting a suit to the US from Europe, how did you do it?  I am not talking about knowing someone in London who mailed it to you.  I'm also not talking about stopping into the store and picking it up while on vacation.  Please be specific, because I have no experience with anything like this.  

BTW, I am aware that a return would be nearly impossible.

For a small fee I could ship a suit from London to you. Shipping would be quite expensive though, around £25-30, depending on the suit, and I'd need £20 for my time.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents!

I got my SuitSupply order the other day and I'd like to get some feedback on what I should be looking to improve. (Sorry if there's too much "photo documentation" :embar:)

I ordered a 34R double-breasted Madison suit to test the waters as I haven't worn a DB in ages and not sure if it's even something I should be considering…

Madison-2.jpg

Madison-3.jpg

Madison-4.jpg

Madison-5.jpg

Madison-6.jpg

Madison-7.jpg

Madison-8.jpg

Initial thoughts: Lapels to big for my body, jacket maybe a bit long … I think DB's are supposed to be a bit shorter than a SB? Maybe a tad too big? Button position too high for me? Pants are too slim/awkward.

I also ordered a single-breasted Havana Linen suit. Last year, I purchased a 36S Havana Linen SC and have come to feel that its too big in the shoulders and blousey in the "skirt" (don't know if there's a better term). So, one of my objectives was to see if a 34R was a better fit.

Havana-7.jpg

Havana-4.jpg

Havana-5.jpg

Havana-6.jpg

Havana-1.jpg

Havana-2.jpg

Havana-3.jpg

Initial thoughts: Pants are better, but not ideal. The 34R jacket's a better fit than the 36S, but perhaps could go even smaller? Maybe not?

I also like the idea of using a casual DB suit jacket as a blazer, but again not sure if it works for me…

Blazer-1.jpg

Blazer-2.jpg

Blazer-3.jpg

Blazer-4.jpg

Blazer-5.jpg

Blazer-6.jpg

Initial thoughts: Even though i just folded the hem, I'm feeling that maybe cuffs might not be the best look for me? I pretty much cuff all my trousers to 1.75", but I think I may have a long torso, or my jackets are too long and it's making my legs look short. It could also be too much contrast? Keeping things in proportion is proving difficult.

I'd like to try their SoHo DB and another SB. I'm thinking that their more tailored/structured fits would be better for me, but right now I'm looking for casual summer suiting and I'm not sure there's really any cross-over there as far as SuitSupply is concerned.

Anyhoo, I think this was a good experiment, especially since I can return everything. I hope to get some good feedback as I'm feeling kinda lost.

Thanks so much!!!

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that in some fits they do have a 32R. I'm not sure if that would be too small, but thought I'd throw it out there. The measurements for the 32R in the shoulders and chest are basically the same as Kent Wang suggested for me. They are also the same as Epaulet's Southwick in a 36S which are my best fitting jackets. The 32R waist however is about 2.4" smaller and I don't know how much that would affect the overall fit.

novaeagle

Reaction score
Anyone think the navy blue havana would work well as a staple navy blue blazer? I prefer the horn buttons to brass, personally, and I think the patch pockets dial it down a smidge.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents!

I got my SuitSupply order the other day and I'd like to get some feedback on what I should be looking to improve. (Sorry if there's too much "photo documentation"
shog[1].gif
)

To my eyes, both are pretty good fits for OTR. With some slight alteration (sleeve length and hemming the trousers, excess fabric behind the armpits on the DB, among others), they'd be pretty much what I'd consider 'very good OTR'.

I disagree about the DB lapels being too big, I think they're great. Then again, there's not set rules; it all comes down to personal preferences.

Last edited:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To my eyes, both are pretty good fits for OTR. With some slight alteration (sleeve length and hemming the trousers, excess fabric behind the armpits on the DB, among others), they'd be pretty much what I'd consider 'very good OTR'.

I disagree about the DB lapels being too big, I think they're great. Then again, there's not set rules; it all comes down to personal preferences. 

Thanks ShawnBC! I appreciate the feedback!

VincentVogan

Reaction score
Hello Macjedi.

Here are my observations: (Take them with a huge pinch of salt, as I have very little experience.)

1. The Madison jacket is either too long, or the button stance way too high. Either way, it accentuates your wide hips. Maybe if the button stance was lower and the jacket had less waist suppression, then your wide hips wouldn't be that noticeable.

The sleeves are bit too long, as well, if you're intending to show off half an inch of shirt cuff.

I don't know whether that's just me, but the pant seat might be let out a bit. In the front it looks okay, but in the back it looks a bit tight.

The shoes are nice. ;)

2. The Havana jacket sleeves are too long, as well. The seat of the pants seems tight, just like in the case of the Madison suit.

On the plus side, because there's less waist suppression, your wide hips are not noticeable, which is a good thing.

The pairing with the Madison jacket seems okay to me, even though I don't like the shoes in this example.

You're right about cuffing the pants: it will probably look better without them, especially with the Madison jacket which seems a bit longer and "eats up" part of your leg-line.

Last edited:

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Gents!
I ordered a 34R double-breasted Madison suit to test the waters as I haven't worn a DB in ages and not sure if it's even something I should be considering…

Anyhoo, I think this was a good experiment, especially since I can return everything. I hope to get some good feedback as I'm feeling kinda lost.

As a general commentary, I think you've purchased very fashion forward/noticeable pieces but seem to be a little less than sure of whether you can pull them off. I think you can and they look good even out of the box, but you need a lot of confidence to pull these looks off without look affected. Knowing myself, I'd return them, as I wouldn't ever wear them out the door.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several MTM shops have been popping up around the US which are making Suitsupply a less viable option when you consider customization, fit, and the extra you pay in alterations. 3 years ago Suitsupply was top dawg in the price range but I think other companies have caught up.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which MTM shops are you referring to?

Beckett Robb in both Salt Lake and San Fran.
BLVdier in Chicago - Just opened and the owner is a former Suitsupply MTM manager, brand name fabrics (VBC, Reda, etc).
Soren Custom in Toronto - Their site is a little over the top for SF members but the quality and options are plentiful.
Kent Wang in NYC.

For the record I own 4 SS suits. Paying $500-$600 w/tax plus alterations becomes less of a compelling argument when for another $100 tops I can get a fully MTM suit from one of the aforementioned shops. Of course assuming you live or frequently visit these cities.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Macjedi.

Here are my observations: (Take them with a huge pinch of salt, as I have very little experience.)

1. The Madison jacket is either too long, or the button stance way too high. Either way, it accentuates your wide hips. Maybe if the button stance was lower and the jacket had less waist suppression, then your wide hips wouldn't be that noticeable.

The sleeves are bit too long, as well, if you're intending to show off half an inch of shirt cuff. 

I don't know whether that's just me, but the pant seat might be let out a bit. In the front it looks okay, but in the back it looks a bit tight. 

The shoes are nice. ;)

2. The Havana jacket sleeves are too long, as well. The seat of the pants seems tight, just like in the case of the Madison suit.

On the plus side, because there's less waist suppression, your wide hips are not noticeable, which is a good thing.

The pairing with the Madison jacket seems okay to me, even though I don't like the shoes in this example.

You're right about cuffing the pants: it will probably look better without them, especially with the Madison jacket which seems a bit longer and "eats up" part of your leg-line. 

Thanks VincentVogan! Your assessment is spot on. I appreciate your feedback!

As a general commentary, I think you've purchased very fashion forward/noticeable pieces but seem to be a little less than sure of whether you can pull them off. I think you can and they look good even out of the box, but you need a lot of confidence to pull these looks off without look affected. Knowing myself, I'd return them, as I wouldn't ever wear them out the door.

Thanks username79! I appreciate the feedback! Agreed on the selection … my objective was more to give SS another shot and see if anything works for me size/fit wise, so I purposely chose items I wouldn't be too tempted to keep. However, the Havana linen is tempting at $469 :). My main concern was the DB. I've wanted to give it a go and SS seemed like a good option. The Madison is a no go, but I think with the right cut, a DB is a possibility. I agree that one needs confidence to pull off these looks. My hesitation is more with the fit, than the style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads