• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit makers for Athletic Build

mdex2k

Reaction score
Hi all,

I found a couple of old threads in this forum recommending BB for athletic build people. Now that J Crew has the Crosby, Bonobos also has its Athletic cut and SuitSupply has the Havana I thought maybe this topic needs an update.

From my personal experience J Crew fits me best. I took the Crosby 38R and the 32/32 Ludlow. Now the only problem I have is that the J Crew suits are a little bit over priced. So I am looking for an cheaper alternative with a similar quality and cut.

Does anybody know one?

Thanks in advance.

Kr
mdex

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I'm not aware of anything at much of a lower price point, particularly of decent quality. I have a athletic build (broad shoulders, narrow waist) and have been very happy with SuitSupply.

I wear a suit every day for work, and own seven of their suits and several of their sport coats which I wear with slacks. I generally wear the Napoli suits, which are cut fairly broad in the shoulder, and these can be found for $399 and are great quality for that price. They always need some alteration (adjust sleeve length a bit, and waist usually) which will add to the cost, but rarely does anyone get a great fit without some type of alteration on any suit off the rack.

I have a Havana jacket, they are unstructured and in my view a bit more casual as a result.

If you live anywhere near a brick and mortar store, definitely check them out. If not, I'd suggest ordering one and trying it, they have a great return policy and you can pop it back in the mail to them if you don't like it.

mdex2k

Reaction score
I'm not aware of anything at much of a lower price point, particularly of decent quality. I have a athletic build (broad shoulders, narrow waist) and have been very happy with SuitSupply.

I tried SuitSupply already and the jackets (Havana) are a great fit. The only problem I have is with their trousers....in my opinion they are a too wide and the rise is also too high.
Thats what j crew does best....you can choose a crosby jacket (athletic/broad shoulders) and select a ludlow trouser (slim/low rise) in the same color and fabric.

As I already said, the only problem I have with j crew is that I think they are way too expensive. If you compare SuitSupply you get the same quality for half the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads