• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sub ~$700 shawl collar slimmer tuxedo suggestions

bearback

Reaction score
I need a tux for a black tie event in mid Oct of this year so I have a few months to scout a good deal.

problem is, I want a slimmer cut one and a shawl collar. might consider peak since shawl is so hard to find but definitely not notched.

those are the 2 things i care most about. other nice to haves would be ventless (could do side vents) and preferably besom pockets (although i could tuck the flaps in if it had them)

for reference, i fit great in a 38S BB 1818 Milano.

any suggestions?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the $700 figure include only trousers and jacket, or are you also hoping to snag shirt, waist covering, studs, and the other myriad requirements of black tie?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always have the vents sewn shut. Suit Supply is the only place I can think of that has a slim tuxedo with your specs, though it is peak lapel.

bearback

Reaction score
Just the trousers and jacket. I've got everything else from my old tux.

Does the $700 figure include only trousers and jacket, or are you also hoping to snag shirt, waist covering, studs, and the other myriad requirements of black tie?

bearback

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually checked it out already but have really been wanting shawl over peak. Trying to see if anyone else can recommend anything.

Thinking about the shawl at Black Lapel. I've heard they're on par with SuitSupply in terms of quality. I own SS's cheaper MTM suit ($600) and am happy with it.

I'm just wary of the Internet MTM because I'm worried about their definition of slim cut and am afraid ill have to send the thing back and forth a couple times. I liked having someone in the SS store actually measure me.

If all else fails and I wimp out on Black Lapel then id probably go with the SS one since it fits pretty well OTR.

You can always have the vents sewn shut. Suit Supply is the only place I can think of that has a slim tuxedo with your specs, though it is peak lapel.

bearback

Reaction score
Saw that when I was at SS a couple months ago when it wasn't on the website. They told me it was discontinued

Anyways, it's way too light to be called midnight blue. SS's colors are off. Even the sales associate said a lot of "their" colors are "their" interpretation and by "their" I think he was implying the Dutch owners.

For an example of their off colors, compare the Blue in the London fit vs the Navy in the Napoli fit. The "Blue" is darker than their "Navy" and the closest they have to a true navy. The "Navy" is a lighter shade of Navy.

I needed a true navy suit for a wedding and they didn't have the "Blue" (ie Navy) in the Napoli fit which was great on me. Instead I just did their cheaper line MTM for $600 which uses the Napoli template but was able to pick the "Blue" color (ie navy). Wasn't bad tho, basically paid $130 more with guaranteed fit

meursault42

Reaction score
I didn't know how they did mtm, but that's tempting. I should wait for them to come up where I live to try out their mtm deal (which should be soon). In any case you didn't specify you wanted midnight blue/navy, just a shawl collar tux itself hence the link.

TWEEEEEDDDDD

Reaction score
I actually just picked up a shawl collar tux from SS in Atlanta last week. It is the actual Midnight Shawl Collar Tux. Not the new "Blue", which btw is BLUE when you see it in person. I'm talking like nearly french blue.

Best part is, if you can find one of these midnight blue shawl collar tuxes, they are marked at $469 because they were produced before the new pricing (or something of that nature...)

It's single vent which I don't love, but for formal events it will do the trick, especially for the price.

Let me know if you want pics for color/shade reference, I haven't taken it to get tailored yet but when I saw it, and then the price I snagged it bc I knew they are a rare breed.

Try calling a few of the stores to see if they have any of the midnight left in your size. I wear a 46R which they stock next to nothing in suits in that size in either Chicago or ATL, and ATL had this tux in stock , so you may get lucky.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is an outlet store in Europe somewhere. Someone from the Suit Supply thread was heading there this week and was going to proxy for a bunch of members. It might not be too late to ask him to check on a midnight blue tuxedo.

TWEEEEEDDDDD

Reaction score
Also on Gilt.com there is a black peak w side vents and a midnight blue shawl ventless, both by Joseph Abboud... Both are $399

If you aren't a member: http://www.gilt.com/invite/mylink32046 we both get $25 when you sign up and make a purchase...

Hopefully by my earlier post in this thread you know I'm not a bot :)

toade

Reaction score
I once found an RLBL shawl tuxedo on ebay for $700... but that is pretty rare, and unlikely.

If you give up on the shawl dream, Benjamin Satorial (ehaberdasher) makes a nice peak lapel:
LINK

HughJ

Reaction score

I didn't know how they did mtm, but that's tempting. I should wait for them to come up where I live to try out their mtm deal (which should be soon). In any case you didn't specify you wanted midnight blue/navy, just a shawl collar tux itself hence the link.

Black or midnight blue is implied when discussing tuxedos.

OP, have you considered Kent Wang? The few results I've seen from his MTM program have been very good. Certainly tempting.

Displacement

Reaction score
Alternatively, if you want to save a little money (because, really, how often are you going to wear a tuxedo?) you should look at Kenneth Cole at Macy's when it goes on sale. It's fused and lower quality fabric than many snobs on here would tolerate, but nobody at the event is going to care. You have time to wait for a good sale and they can be had for ~$300. Use the rest of the money on good shoes and good wine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads