• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sub ~$700 shawl collar slimmer tuxedo suggestions

Khal80

Reaction score
I actually just picked up a shawl collar tux from SS in Atlanta last week. It is the actual Midnight Shawl Collar Tux. Not the new "Blue", which btw is BLUE when you see it in person. I'm talking like nearly french blue.

Best part is, if you can find one of these midnight blue shawl collar tuxes, they are marked at $469 because they were produced before the new pricing (or something of that nature...)

It's single vent which I don't love, but for formal events it will do the trick, especially for the price.

Let me know if you want pics for color/shade reference, I haven't taken it to get tailored yet but when I saw it, and then the price I snagged it bc I knew they are a rare breed.

Try calling a few of the stores to see if they have any of the midnight left in your size. I wear a 46R which they stock next to nothing in suits in that size in either Chicago or ATL, and ATL had this tux in stock , so you may get lucky.

Thank you.

I picked one up as well.

Im having them ship it to me.

Thanks again

bearback

Reaction score
The one I looked at a couple months ago in the DC store I believe is the same one you saw. You are right, it's at $469 and is hard to find because it is a discontinued model.

Can you post pics and have people comment on the shade?

To be honest, I don't know what midnight blue is supposed to look like... I assumed it was very dark, darker than true navy... When I saw this midnight blue tux, I was surprised that it was not darker. It was darker than the "Blue" one they currently have on the website but not as dark as I was expecting midnight blue to be. When I questioned the sales associate, he did say that this was their interpretation of midnight blue and it could be a bit lighter...

My $0.02.

I actually just picked up a shawl collar tux from SS in Atlanta last week. It is the actual Midnight Shawl Collar Tux. Not the new "Blue", which btw is BLUE when you see it in person. I'm talking like nearly french blue.

Best part is, if you can find one of these midnight blue shawl collar tuxes, they are marked at $469 because they were produced before the new pricing (or something of that nature...)

It's single vent which I don't love, but for formal events it will do the trick, especially for the price.

Let me know if you want pics for color/shade reference, I haven't taken it to get tailored yet but when I saw it, and then the price I snagged it bc I knew they are a rare breed.

Try calling a few of the stores to see if they have any of the midnight left in your size. I wear a 46R which they stock next to nothing in suits in that size in either Chicago or ATL, and ATL had this tux in stock , so you may get lucky.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see great tuxes on eBay all the time. I've bought six or so. Two were for 40, the others all under 20. All in like-new condition.

bearback

Reaction score
Here's the info for their MTM... I did the cheaper "Blue Line" which starts at $599
http://us.suitsupply.com/blue-line-...ng-blue-line-personal-tailoring,en_US,pg.html

BTW in the store they tried to sell me on the more expensive MTM line when I couldn't find a suit in the color i wanted which was way above my budget without telling me they had a cheaper line which was slightly above my budget. I had to look it up on the website and come in and ask them about it...

I think that if you will require any alterations from their $469 lines (e.g. Napoli) then you ought to seriously consider their MTM. Because the Napoli has working button holes, any significant change to the sleeve length will require shortening the sleeve from the armhole which they will charge $75 just to do. Additionally (I think) you will have to pay for pant hemming which could be $15-20. So you're already added almost $100 to the cost of a Napoli.

The Blue Line MTM is based off their Napoli template and they will take a handful of measurements which will at least guarantee sleeve length, coat length and good fit in shoulders and chest, pant waist and length. Stuff like button stance you can't alter (this line has a high button stance).

Any additional changes are included in the price.

I'm extremely pleased with the fit (for reference I fit well in the BB 1818 Milano in a 38S and oddly enough fit in the SS 36S Napoli not sure if they have like vanity sizing...)

I do want to call out though that while the suit is half canvassed (full fusing but canvassed in the top half) the lapel doesn't seem to be canvassed like my other half canvassed jackets. This makes the lapel have a less shapely roll and the lapels feel thin.

Unfortunately they will not do a MTM Tux at the $599 price so I can get the black shawl...

I didn't know how they did mtm, but that's tempting. I should wait for them to come up where I live to try out their mtm deal (which should be soon). In any case you didn't specify you wanted midnight blue/navy, just a shawl collar tux itself hence the link.
t

Last edited:

TWEEEEEDDDDD

Reaction score
Yeah I will post some pictures tomorrow evening. Again I will be posting the midnight, not the new blue. It is midnight. Definitely nothing weird or non-traditional about it. Now, the new blue shawl they have (which is almost french blue), I wouldn't touch that thing, well if I had 10 tuxes I guess I would throw it in rotation, but I don't, so I wont...

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent Wang.

TWEEEEEDDDDD

Reaction score
Here is the SuitSupply Midnight Blue Shawl Collar Tux.

It is dark, this picture was taken this morning on a sunny day right next to a wall of windows, and it still looks very dark. When in my closet it looks as dark as a few charcoal suits.

[ATTACHMENT=6958]photo.JPG (2,172k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads